Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well played Greece - well played:-

[tweet]1229832568822009856[/tweet]

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I agree with you, apart from one thing. It isn't the old ground that's the concern. It is the new ground, the virgin snow-covered ground, that stretches away endlessly into the unknown distance, apart from one small signpost that says 'end of 2020, if the way foward isn't now paved, just wander about a bit and see where this takes you'.

This won't affect me because my finances and situation are secure, although I may have to buy a few guns (just in case, like, and in order to get in early with the new Special Relationship we may be having with uncle Sam).

Someone sent me this today. Mildly amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_CxQFziFU&feature=youtu.be&list=PLZyPqYz41qavAvZnwcfxvo2PAO8faOHuF

Yes, very good!
As far as guns are concerned, crackpots who are crackshots may well be the dangerous order of the day.
Who knows? :D

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Oh I have been looking all right, very few jobs around for me though, I'd rather not work at Aldi ( Mind you I am probably too old anyway ) but that would be a big step up financially for me. Still, my fault though, made the mistake of thinking that being good at your job and being hardworking and loyal would pay off, then left it too late to change career or re-train.

I’ve had a really rubbish time over past few years so I totally empathise. But it really is never too late mate. I say this from experience not in a blasé, off the cuff way. It requires monumental effort and some luck too. Utter waste of time using recruiters mind, or they’re the least efficient use of your time. Network network and network again. Identify businesses you’d like to work for and go get ‘em. I’m in a really good job now, happy and enjoying. Not all roses, nothing is. But right now, it’s near perfect. And no it’s not ridiculously well paid, easy to do, enormous benefits and only half a working week! Those ‘values’ are frankly not what motivates me. Nor was I born with a silver spoon, I’ve still got mortgage to pay and all the rest of those day to day worries most of us contend with. But I have landed a fulfilling job with good people doing an honest days work for an honest days wage that actually makes a positive contribution to everyday life and helps keep us all safe.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’ve had a really rubbish time over past few years so I totally empathise. But it really is never too late mate. I say this from experience not in a blasé, off the cuff way. It requires monumental effort and some luck too. Utter waste of time using recruiters mind, or they’re the least efficient use of your time. Network network and network again. Identify businesses you’d like to work for and go get ‘em. I’m in a really good job now, happy and enjoying. Not all roses, nothing is. But right now, it’s near perfect. And no it’s not ridiculously well paid, easy to do, enormous benefits and only half a working week! Those ‘values’ are frankly not what motivates me. Nor was I born with a silver spoon, I’ve still got mortgage to pay and all the rest of those day to day worries most of us contend with. But I have landed a fulfilling job with good people doing an honest days work for an honest days wage that actually makes a positive contribution to everyday life and helps keep us all safe.

Well done, you beat the system. I'm working for company that is co-owned by two billionaire owners who live abroad and who show no sign of wanting to ease off or re-distribute any of that wealth.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, I was making a general comment re the tone of much of the thread; however, fair comment.
My initial and superficial reaction to the immigration policy is, 'I think the hospitality, horticulture and care industries, for example, are going to face a lot of difficulties, especially so, in the short -term'.
From a purely personal perspective, my wife and I have met quite a few young people from around the world working in the hospitality industry and almost without exception, have been impressed by their work ethic, intelligence and positive outlook on life. We have kept in touch with quite a number via FB and several have either progressed up the ranks in their industry or have gone on to greater things and made the most of their qualifications(quite a few have degrees) and now have more lucrative employment.
I believe that without young people such as these, the country would be all the poorer. It remains to be seen whether or not our 'home grown' will take up the cudgels, so to speak.
A highly skilled and high wage economy is a fine aspiration, but it won't happen overnight!

A fair assessment of today's announcement, but why do you have to be so negative every time we get told the detailed solution to each of the various Brexit issues :wink:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The more you read it, the more oddly pro-immigration (and anti the low paid working class) the whole thing is.

There is no incentive for a British Company to employee a skilled British Worker, when they can employ cheaper (over the threshold) workers from abroad already trained. Because freedom of movement has ended, the pool of skilled workers has actually increased.

It's simply closed one door and opened a very large other.

Is it just me - or has this not been seen through ?

:dunce:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The more you read it, the more oddly pro-immigration (and anti the low paid working class) the whole thing is.

There is no incentive for a British Company to employee a skilled British Worker, when they can employ cheaper (over the threshold) workers from abroad already trained. Because freedom of movement has ended, the pool of skilled workers has actually increased.

It's simply closed one door and opened a very large other.

Is it just me - or has this not been seen through ?

:dunce:

What was rather sinister, I thought when I heard Patel interviewed, was when she referred to 8 million currently inactive British workers (or potential workers). This govt is so nasty to the core that I could imagine a situation in which benefit-seekers were further pressured into joining the labour market to answer the shortage of labour. (I'm not sure where she sourced her figures from or quite what she was getting at, but this sort of statement invites interpretation.)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What was rather sinister, I thought when I heard Patel interviewed, was when she referred to 8 million currently inactive British workers (or potential workers). This govt is so nasty to the core that I could imagine a situation in which benefit-seekers were further pressured into joining the labour market to answer the shortage of labour. (I'm not sure where she sourced her figures from or quite what she was getting at, but this sort of statement invites interpretation.)

Well, this I believe is the actual situation and far from a conspiracy. Those controlling the party (NOT Boris) have no beef with immigration, far from it.

They do have a problem with benefits, anyone who has had the misfortune to be less privileged than they are and the size of the state.

They have somehow managed to re-engineer the fear of immigration into:

1) Pushing the cost of the low skilled, low educated working class onto business by cutting off their access to unskilled labour from abroad. They are yours now.

2) Importing an educated "super class" from abroad. Don't care where they come from (or the colour of their skin), just that they are clever and won't rely on benefits.

3) Selling it to the frothing in the mouth brigade as a "crack down on immigration" when it's completely the opposite.

4) Selling it to the frothing in the mouth brigade as a "point system", when it's nothing of the sort. Business can take from wherever they like, just got to stump up the wages.

It's all about attempting to create a high wage, low taxation, small state utopia where the burden of the "underclass" is pushed over to business. All cynically wrapped up an as immigration policy.

The silence on here from the Boris Brexit fan boys is deafening.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No, people who wanted to stop the country being ruined are not willing doom on it in the slightest. Leave voters WILL be blamed for the mess though. They are going to have to suck it up im afraid.

I'm very prepared to take responsibility for the outcome of my vote - or blame as you so provocatively call it. I just don't think reality will match some of the doomsayers predictions on here.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I'm very prepared to take responsibility for the outcome of my vote - or blame as you so provocatively call it. I just don't think reality will match some of the doomsayers predictions on here.

So, talk me trough the real implications of a 'no-deal' Brexit.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
So, talk me trough the real implications of a 'no-deal' Brexit.

Have you noticed how the Leave lobby has morphed in its belief in 'sunny uplands' after Brexit to 'it won't be as bad as some people predict'? They must think we are as gullible as they have been!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

So you think other doomsayers may have pitched it about right?

This is where we have got to now the details of your long awaited 'good deal' are starting to come out. Our best hope is that 'some' doomsayers may have got it wrong :shootself

But I really shouldn't be surprised from someone who, only yesterday, thought we were 50% through the trade deals that we need to negotiate by the end of the year to simply maintain the status quo :facepalm:

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

The economically inactive will include people retired but still of working age, stay at home parents, those caring for an elderly or sick relative, students and those with enough personal wealth to choose not to work. Basically, those that either can't take a job at the moment or don't want to and don't need to. Not much chance of getting a significant number of these people into jobs.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

How closely do you think it will resemble "what you voted for" though?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The economically inactive will include people retired but still of working age, stay at home parents, those caring for an elderly or sick relative, students and those with enough personal wealth to choose not to work. Basically, those that either can't take a job at the moment or don't want to and don't need to. Not much chance of getting a significant number of these people into jobs.

Agreed, but surely she knows this. On second thoughts...…………..Seriously, I'm trying to understand the agenda here. The elephant in the room is productivity. We (the UK) are hopeless. Brexiteers (not the man-in-the-street Brexiteers but the ones who think the are clever) attacked low-paid immigrant labour as the easy option for businesses to

a) not train the local workforce and b) not invest in technology (though quite what technology you'd employ in the care sector is one for Cummings to work out - robots??). This was thought to drive down productivity. However, I'm not sure how raising a reserve army of under-employed locals to replace hard working and 'productive' EU workers (few deny that this is the case) will really help crack the productivity problem which is thought to be the key to competitiveness and growth.

In short, I'm buggered if I can understand what they are trying to do.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
In short, I'm buggered if I can understand what they are trying to do.

What they are trying to do is cling to power with a bunch of superficially populist but incredibly flawed policies that are either nonsensical or short termist. They are a truly dreadful government - the least competent, least trustworthy, most selfish bunch of arse wipes this country will ever see.

The country is going to be poorer, more racist, more fragmented and possibly separated by the time these utter twunts are booted out. The worst thing is, I genuinely don't give a toss about the well being of northern English towns that make up the former red wall anymore. Why should I? They haven't given a toss about my kids having their rights removed. F*ck em. And I never wanted to feel that way about my own countrymen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here