Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
For many, sadly, the country has already gone down the pan! Stagnant wage growth, crumbling infrastructure and roads and now increasing prices as it gets more expensive to pick, pack and deliver our own produce.

If you have a wage over £25 k pa you might be lucky enough to be able to get out if the EU reciprocate our immigration policy though. Still, Blue passports...

But wages have gone up (see yesterday’s headline stories) for first time since Credit Crunch? Taken a long time (as it would) but we’re finally recovering. Reason why infrastructure is crumbling is because we refuse as a nation to pay for it all. It’s not in our culture. What’s mine is mine and all that. Besides, the number putting in versus taking out over extended period of time has decreased and will continue to do so. Things will break and continue to do so because we want more for less and that doesn’t equate. No government is brave enough to increase taxes, nor will the British public accept. Capitalism is a busted ideology. But it’s the least worst in absence of anything else that exists to get 7 billion humans to cooperate relatively harmoniously,

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But wages have gone up (see yesterday’s headline stories) for first time since Credit Crunch? Taken a long time (as it would) but we’re finally recovering. Reason why infrastructure is crumbling is because we refuse as a nation to pay for it all. It’s not in our culture. What’s mine is mine and all that. Besides, the number putting in versus taking out over extended period of time has decreased and will continue to do so. Things will break and continue to do so because we want more for less and that doesn’t equate. No government is brave enough to increase taxes, nor will the British public accept. Capitalism is a busted ideology. But it’s the least worst in absence of anything else that exists to get 7 billion humans to cooperate relatively harmoniously,
Wages may have " Gone Up " officially... But not for most people, I have had one 3% increase in 5 years of hard work. If wages rose so would taxes anyway.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
to almost wish failure upon the country because of the Leave vote, just to be able to gloat and say 'I told you so', is plain daft.

Can I just confirm where the line is? For example, I have in the past posted things which highlight negative impacts of Brexit, does that count as wishing failure on the country or is it simply pointing out the consequences of actions? Are we not to talk about any of the negative impacts of Brexit for fear of creating a "collective negativity"?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Wages may have " Gone Up " officially... But not for most people, I have had one 3% increase in 5 years of hard work. If wages rose so would taxes anyway.

But it has for most people, that’s the point of the Office of Stats and ydays stories. The measurement is consistent. Maybe not for you but across the nation on average. And if you feel you’re worth more, then you can always take Norman Tebbits advice as plenty of people also say!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I couldn't agree more and hope that Keir is elected. As an experienced barrister, he won't let anything get past him in the House.
The biggest problem is the press, like Murdoch, the Barclay brothers and Rothermere. Even now they are still churning out propaganda to keep the masses fooled.
Channel 4 is holding the government to account, but nobody is shouting for the Russia report, or the investigation into Acuri and her relationship when Johnson was mayor.

At the moment the great British public are still calling him (cuddly) Boris, even though he's missing in action again. He's constantly on holiday, leaving his aide to run the country.

Despite the decline of print media the billionaire press barons still have incredible power over the country, the likes of the Sun and Mail propagate misinformation and do not hold the government to account.

Its disappointing the way the Beeb have shied away from the more risky stories but they've been bullied for a decade now. Little surprise they refused to run with the Cambridge Analytica scandal and instead Channel 4 took it on and they did a great expose, but C4 News has a small audience compared to the Beeb or ITV its not mainstream. Its interesting the way they were threated with having their licence revoked during the election campaign for not letting Boris's Dad onto a what was a leadership debate on climate change.

As for Kier he gets my vote as a newly registered Labour supporter, he's the best they have right now

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Last edited:

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I agree.
'We're doomed, I tell you, we're doomed'.
I voted Remain, but I am fed up with all the moaning and doomster talk. I get the impression from some on here that they want the country to go down the pan, just so they can say, we told you so and all those who voted Leave are thick morons.
For f---k's sake, give it a rest and get on with your lives!

No, people who wanted to stop the country being ruined are not willing doom on it in the slightest. Leave voters WILL be blamed for the mess though. They are going to have to suck it up im afraid.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
TB, I very rarely post anymore about anything political, because the threads invariably become bad tempered and intolerant.
Yes, I took the time to post today, because I am fed up with the constant negativity surrounding Brexit.
My wife and I ,and indeed, my whole family voted to Remain, but the country voted to leave and so, being a pragmatist, we must get on with it!
I see little to be gained by going over old ground and I take exception to those who appear to almost will the country to fail ,just so they can say,'ya-boo, we told you so.'
As for those on the Left of the political spectrum, if Corbyn had actually taken an effective role in campaigning for Remain during the Referendum, then the outcome may have been different.
P.S.I hope the shingles is getting better!

I agree with you, apart from one thing. It isn't the old ground that's the concern. It is the new ground, the virgin snow-covered ground, that stretches away endlessly into the unknown distance, apart from one small signpost that says 'end of 2020, if the way foward isn't now paved, just wander about a bit and see where this takes you'.

This won't affect me because my finances and situation are secure, although I may have to buy a few guns (just in case, like, and in order to get in early with the new Special Relationship we may be having with uncle Sam).

Someone sent me this today. Mildly amusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j_CxQFziFU&feature=youtu.be&list=PLZyPqYz41qavAvZnwcfxvo2PAO8faOHuF

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Can the Brexiteers on NSC provide enlightenment on the implications of what I fear we are heading towards ie a no-deal brexit? Im genuinely curious.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Can the Brexiteers on NSC provide enlightenment on the implications of what I fear we are heading towards ie a no-deal brexit? Im genuinely curious.

It's all gone quiet over there...……………..

The nearer we get to the reality of Brexit (as opposed the rhetoric) it's going to be harder and harder to stomach. The much-lauded Aussie style immigration arrangements are a case in point. What sounds compelling yelled from a platform (take back control etc etc) in practice looks like a cock-up with crops rotting in fields and bums unwiped in care homes . Indeed the latter could well turn out to be the best motif for a Johnson style Brexit I can think of.
We could have honoured the vote and engineered a compromise via the EEA or a bespoke deal. But 'we' chose not to with a PM playing to the gallery and the ERG/Farage lurking in the background. Oh well, must get behind the lads …...…………..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Far away, so close...

Capture.JPG

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
No, people who wanted to stop the country being ruined are not willing doom on it in the slightest. Leave voters WILL be blamed for the mess though. They are going to have to suck it up im afraid.

Well, if it is to be a mess, it will be the whole country that has to suck it up, and blame will be irrelevant, unless, of course, Corbyn gets it for failing to even try and give the impression of someone who campaigned for Remain. Anyway, the silly old fool is already history and so he'll probably be ignored.
Call me an optimist and although I voted Remain, I do not think it will be the end of 'civilisation as we know it.'
There will, of course, be problems but we will adapt and, I hope, thrive.
Before you ask me, this is my gut feeling and not based on some heavy and learned research!:D
P.S.Back to the topic of blame, I reckon the lacklustre and rather complacent Remain campaign/campaigners should get some stick if there is any to be handed out!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well, if it is to be a mess, it will be the whole country that has to suck it up, and blame will be , unless, of course, Corbyn gets it for failing to even try and give the impression of someone who campaigned for Remain. Anyway, the silly old fool is already history and so he'll probably be ignored.
Call me an optimist and although I voted Remain, I do not think it will be the end of 'civilisation as we know it.'
There will, of course, be problems but we will adapt and, I hope, thrive.
Before you ask me, this is my gut feeling and not based on some heavy and learned research!:D

Blimey, its not the end of 'civilisation as we know it, so that makes it OK?

The blame in not irrelevant, are you serious? Need to go after con men (and women) not the conned

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Blimey, its not the end of 'civilisation as we know it, so that make it OK?

The blame in not irrelevant, are you serious? Need to go after con men (and women) not the conned

Nicko, don't be so dramatic, that well known quote is just that and you know it!
Please clarify the rest of your post and then I'll have a crack at replying!

P.S.Let us hope the Labour Party go after the crackpot conmen and women that so f---ed them up and made them unelectable, eh?
At least the country weren't conned by them!

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
But it has for most people, that’s the point of the Office of Stats and ydays stories. The measurement is consistent. Maybe not for you but across the nation on average. And if you feel you’re worth more, then you can always take Norman Tebbits advice as plenty of people also say!

Oh I have been looking all right, very few jobs around for me though, I'd rather not work at Aldi ( Mind you I am probably too old anyway ) but that would be a big step up financially for me. Still, my fault though, made the mistake of thinking that being good at your job and being hardworking and loyal would pay off, then left it too late to change career or re-train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here