Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
you mean loads of liberal/left extremists Nibble :wink:
regards
DF

You should be bowing down before them. They are trying to save your benefit scrounging arse. Your lot are first against the wall when the Tory party has unscrutinised power over the welfare system.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Predictions for tomorrow then:

1. Withdrawl Agreement passes.
2. Withdrawl Agreement doesn't pass.
3. Too close to call.

I'm leaning towards 1 and 3.

I reckon it will pass by a handful of votes. All the current Tory party will vote for it, including the ERG and the majority of ex tories, and enough Labours will make up for the DUP and ex tories who won't.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Don’t forget it’s not just about making sure we don’t get No Deal. It’s all about revoking A50.
Don’t be dizzied into an “anything will do now” state of mind. Brexit will be a disaster in any form. Don’t feel bad for the tiny minority that still want to leave because they are mental and we are protecting them from themselves.
Nor should you feel bad for the small clutch of very nasty, name calling Leave posters that have come on here of late. They have won nothing and it’s the thickest and poorest in society that will suffer, we are helping them. And they’ll never know it.
Still in the EU
Get ready for remain.

To your credit, you do very honestly and fairly represent a big chunk of the remain side of the argument.

The thing I think you may have miscalculated is the extent to which this arrogant, patronising, delusional view has support amongst most decent ordinary people on both sides.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm getting the totally depressing realisation that a 2nd referendum would result in the same result as the first. (This is as function of my not flattering view of the UK's electorate.) I'm almost getting to the point where I'd welcome a 'get on with it' vote to be put out of our Remainer misery. At least we'd have some fun watching the farce unfold and earn the right to say 'I told you so' for eternity.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Come on Lever you can feel the tension every time we chat, you're bang-up for it, perhaps we could invite Nigel and Boris, soamesy can watch from a cupboard.

I'll let you clean up Lever.

Are you already pole vaulting about then Mouldy?
Why don't you nip over to Prague for a quick check-up?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To your credit, you do very honestly and fairly represent a big chunk of the remain side of the argument.

The thing I think you may have miscalculated is the extent to which this arrogant, patronising, delusional view has support amongst most decent ordinary people on both sides.

Get Ready For Remain.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If he was any kind of man he would offer an apology for that. He owes you one.

Sadly he doesn't, because ultimately that exchange sums all this up - it's divide and rule. So long as we're calling each other names and are in either of the two, defined, entrenched camps - brilliant. It's how England created the biggest empire ever and it's how Brexit will happen - so long as we're at each others throats and calling the other side this-or-that - job done. It's simple divide and rule.

As you know I lived in Africa. Once we worked it out, all we had to do was to pitch tribal elder against tribal elder by dividing it all and again - job done. It was only in 1899 and the Boer's that England had to play real nasty and bring in concentration camps and deviate from what worked elsewhere. Still, 'homelands' were created and enthusiastically taken up during apartheid. That's our real legacy in Africa.

It's English arrogance and delusions of grandeur at the heart of all this. Why are we doing this to ourselves and our fellow, European, western, democratic, neighbours and allies? Of the 4 (Portugal, Spain, France & England) that took over the world, bar China and Japan, we were the best at it and we just cannot accept our decline. It's a chastening future though as we break up as a union and diminish in the world. Still, there was a Roma gypsy family in McDonald's in Hastings at about 1230 earlier today, so it's all a price worth paying to get rid of their sort......................................

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Really?

Surely that would make matters significantly worse?

The Brexit Part would run on a platform of revoking the European Communities Act for the hardest of hard Brexits, and approximately 50% of the population might be tempted to try one parliament of an unknown party to get this done once and for all. Even if that didn't happen you would still have approx 50% of the population being positively livid.

Wouldn't this compromise be better? No remain for the hardline remainers and no hard Brext for the hard line leavers, but a compromise in the middle where we leave but remain close and leave in an orderly way, which probably only angers the fringes but provides mostly a sense of relief for something like 80% of the population and businesses.

You’re right but too late. A good compromise given a 50:50 was always the answer to unite the country. That’s not what we had and this isn’t either. Norway exit was the answer to unite. This is just a joke

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’re right but too late. A good compromise given a 50:50 was always the answer to unite the country. That’s not what we had and this isn’t either. Norway exit was the answer to unite. This is just a joke

From day one, in 2016, I’d have loved a compromise ending such as that.

But in the Commons, and NSC funnily enough, almost everyone seemed polarised, either

a. The EU is incredible, has no issues, the ever growing integration should not be questioned, and anyone questioning that is less intelligent than me and a racist. Starmer, Lucas, Soubry, etc for all their supposed integrity and intellect, were determined not to listen to one word from the 52%, to scupper absolutely any change in our relationship with the EU. Or

b. We want out, a hard Brexit, whatever the cost to our economy. Nationalism and Trump is the way to go. Farage, The ERG, were determined not to listen to one word from the 48%.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Letwin Amendment seems interesting...…… from the BBC.

" Sir Oliver's amendment is a cunningly-crafted proposition which, crucially, could be voted for by MPs who want a deal, but don't trust this one, and don't trust the government.
It rests on the idea that were Parliament to approve the deal for the purposes of the Benn Act now, there might then be a danger that the subsequent legislation to enact it might be, somehow, derailed, resulting in a no-deal exit on 31 October.
With the Benn Act out of the way, they believe that some manoeuvre, some legislative judo move, by factions inside and outside the government, who favour a "clean Brexit" could leave no time for any effective counter… and Britain would be out, with no deal.
This reflects the sheer level of distrust that has accumulated over several cycles of Brexit angst."

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The Letwin Amendment seems interesting...…… from the BBC.

" Sir Oliver's amendment is a cunningly-crafted proposition which, crucially, could be voted for by MPs who want a deal, but don't trust this one, and don't trust the government.
It rests on the idea that were Parliament to approve the deal for the purposes of the Benn Act now, there might then be a danger that the subsequent legislation to enact it might be, somehow, derailed, resulting in a no-deal exit on 31 October.
With the Benn Act out of the way, they believe that some manoeuvre, some legislative judo move, by factions inside and outside the government, who favour a "clean Brexit" could leave no time for any effective counter… and Britain would be out, with no deal.
This reflects the sheer level of distrust that has accumulated over several cycles of Brexit angst."
If Letwin's amendment is passed (which it may well be, given that there is an untrustworthy liar in Downing Street) it would presumably mean that the Kyle/Wilson amendment would not even be tabled. Johnson will then have profited hugely from his horrible reputation. The Leavers appear to be getting the England they always wanted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here