Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Putting my own views on Brexit to one side, I have to say that - politically - the Irish protocol element of Boris's Deal is a work of genius. In one move he's managed to achieve the following:

1. Avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland.
2. Get Stormont an option to opt out of the consent for the UK/EU Customs Union exercisable every 4 years, thereby respecting the Good Friday Agreement.
3. See point 3. Thereby giving them - and not Westminster - the problem of what to do about a hard border if they choose to opt out of the EU arrangement in the future.
4. Force Northern Ireland closer to the Republic of Ireland - and thereby make unification more likely. Although they are the Conservative and Unionist Party I'm not convinced they see Northern Ireland as anything other than an inconvenience anymore, in much the same way as a company might wish to sell off a loss-making and resource consuming part of its business.
5. F**k over the DUP and get some revenge for the £1 billion its cost the UK and the kowtowing the Tories have had to do over the last 2 1/2 years.

Can't stand him - but I have to reluctantly agree with you here. Add to that list 'getting all the EU leaders to clap him as a sort of hero'

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Putting my own views on Brexit to one side, I have to say that - politically - the Irish protocol element of Boris's Deal is a work of genius. In one move he's managed to achieve the following:

1. Avoid a hard border on the island of Ireland.
2. Get Stormont an option to opt out of the consent for the UK/EU Customs Union exercisable every 4 years, thereby respecting the Good Friday Agreement.
3. See point 3. Thereby giving them - and not Westminster - the problem of what to do about a hard border if they choose to opt out of the EU arrangement in the future.
4. Force Northern Ireland closer to the Republic of Ireland - and thereby make unification more likely. Although they are the Conservative and Unionist Party I'm not convinced they see Northern Ireland as anything other than an inconvenience anymore, in much the same way as a company might wish to sell off a loss-making and resource consuming part of its business.
5. F**k over the DUP and get some revenge for the £1 billion its cost the UK and the kowtowing the Tories have had to do over the last 2 1/2 years.

All Cummings work; now if they can keep idiot Johnston from facing any serious questioning in the lead up to a GE they should do well..... unfortunately

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I am referring to the 2016 vote. From that cannot glean a mandate for any one form of Brexit. .

It's a mandate for the kind of Brexit I favour. And no other kind.
Certainly I had no intention of giving a mandate to the kind of Brexit you favour.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a mandate for the kind of Brexit I favour. And no other kind.
Certainly I had no intention of giving a mandate to the kind of Brexit you favour.

Quite.

There is only one true Brexit. The one each person individually thinks is the right one.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Predictions for tomorrow then:

1. Withdrawl Agreement passes.
2. Withdrawl Agreement doesn't pass.
3. Too close to call.

I'm leaning towards 1 and 3.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
"Even the trade unions"...What is that supposed to mean. Are the Labour Party (trade unions) likely to say anything else?

"All Johnson has to do is prevaricate for the 14 months." You've been watching remainers for too long. Not everyone behaves in such a cynical way. JC declared he couldn't accept the deal before he even read it. Keir Starmer railed against a document he was given during the Brexit talks under May, a document which was a copy and paste of his own proposals.

Most opposition to this don't care what it says or what it does. It's from a Conservative PM, so it's bad. So many are just playing politics with this. "Don't give a "win" to Boris Johnson", is the message, regardless of what is best for the country, it's all politics and people are sick of it.

Again I ask you, who wants a WTO situation, when a trade deal is possible? Why would anyone not want to do a trade deal?

What about a representative body for the largest manufacturing sector? They are funded by the organisations they represent. Food and drink (4 million workers and supply chain) have said the deal will be bad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Rachel Johnson on HIGNFY tonight.

I wish she'd lay off some of her TV appearances. I don't know if anyone else caught her on Sky's "The Pledge" with her and the other 4 panellists where one of the topics debated was "What should happen to Boris re the Jennifer Arcuri affair?" where wild and serious allegations of sexual relationships and gross impropriety were being discussed by Andrew Pierce and Carol Malone, no holds barred and Pierce going to town on Boris. All very awkward to watch.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
What about a representative body for the largest manufacturing sector? They are funded by the organisations they represent. Food and drink (4 million workers and supply chain) have said the deal will be bad.

“It is now up to members of parliament to play their part and finally end the Brexit uncertainty that has been hanging over consumers and retailers,” Andrew Opie, director of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium.

"Voting for a deal would prevent the worst no-deal hazards, unlock a transition period for striking future arrangements, and guarantee the rights of citizens living abroad. But it’s far from perfect" Carolyn Fairbairn, director-general of the Confederation of British Industry.

“This moves us further away from a damaging ‘no deal’ Brexit and the huge and immediate tariff hit that would ensue,”, “To give the U.K. automotive industry certainty, however, and to assure its continued global competitiveness, we need a truly ambitious future relationship -- one based on tariff-free and frictionless trade.” Mike Hawes, chief executive of the Society for Motor Manufacturers and Traders.

The UK feels it's a good deal, the 27 members of the EU feel it's a good deal.

Who will stand in the way?

Labour.

Good luck to them at the next election if they do that.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wish she'd lay off some of her TV appearances. I don't know if anyone else caught her on Sky's "The Pledge" with her and the other 4 panellists where one of the topics debated was "What should happen to Boris re the Jennifer Arcuri affair?" where wild and serious allegations of sexual relationships and gross impropriety were being discussed by Andrew Pierce and Carol Malone, no holds barred and Pierce going to town on Boris. All very awkward to watch.

I rarely watch the terrestrial schedule, instead choosing to watch the stuff I want to watch when I want to watch it , so I haven’t seen her at all really.
I’ve been round the same pub table as her on a few occasions and she seems a nice person.
From what I gather she hasn’t much time for her brother’s political weaselry so I’d be interested to see how she handles the inevitable rogering BJ is going to get on HIGNFY.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
“It is now up to members of parliament to play their part and finally end the Brexit uncertainty that has been hanging over consumers and retailers,” Andrew Opie, director of food and sustainability at the British Retail Consortium.

"Voting for a deal would prevent the worst no-deal hazards, unlock a transition period for striking future arrangements, and guarantee the rights of citizens living abroad. But it’s far from perfect" Carolyn Fairbairn, director-general of the Confederation of British Industry.

“This moves us further away from a damaging ‘no deal’ Brexit and the huge and immediate tariff hit that would ensue,”, “To give the U.K. automotive industry certainty, however, and to assure its continued global competitiveness, we need a truly ambitious future relationship -- one based on tariff-free and frictionless trade.” Mike Hawes, chief executive of the Society for Motor Manufacturers and Traders.

But this is all predicated on the choice being a straight 'Boris' deal OR no deal'. That is, they don't want a no deal, and Boris' deal is the next least worst thing so it's a bit better. They would rather have the tarriff-free and frictionless trade' that we already have.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t forget it’s not just about making sure we don’t get No Deal. It’s all about revoking A50.
Don’t be dizzied into an “anything will do now” state of mind. Brexit will be a disaster in any form. Don’t feel bad for the tiny minority that still want to leave because they are mental and we are protecting them from themselves.
Nor should you feel bad for the small clutch of very nasty, name calling Leave posters that have come on here of late. They have won nothing and it’s the thickest and poorest in society that will suffer, we are helping them. And they’ll never know it.
Still in the EU
Get ready for remain.

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 2719

Running around like headless chickens Mouldy , normal service has been resumed
regards
DF

Oh dear poor souls, has anyone told them, to breath deeply???

Nothing to see here Mouldy; feel free to take more time off......

I think me and you could become an item.

Some rules I might have to set though:

1) Change underpants daily, please
2) Come off the glue, I mean sticking yourself to objects, you can sniff as much as you like.
3) No glossy mags of Jezza under the bed.

Well???

Fancy some???

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Predictions for tomorrow then:

1. Withdrawl Agreement passes.
2. Withdrawl Agreement doesn't pass.
3. Too close to call.

I'm leaning towards 1 and 3.

Number 2 or maybe a tie with Bercow having the casting vote ...

413ef161daac5720645ad4b5d2b30a83.gif

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Oh dear poor souls, has anyone told them, to breath deeply???

I think me and you could become an item.

Some rules I might have to set though:

1) Change underpants daily, please
2) Come off the glue, I mean sticking yourself to objects, you can sniff as much as you like.
3) No glossy mags of Jezza under the bed.

Well???

Fancy some???

Your weird fantasies are just that Mouldy.... fantasies.... just like your dreams of sunny uplands.
I won't encourage you otherwise you might cream yourself... and that wouldn't be a good look for you.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Who will stand in the way?

Labour.

Good luck to them at the next election if they do that.

Well, I agree with your last comment....

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think I speak for everyone in wishing the people’s vote marchers all the best for tomorrow. I can’t make tomorrow but I know many who will be there and I know NSC will be with them in spirit.
Fighting the good fight and upholding our DEMOCRATIC right to protest. Making sure the voice of those less able to represent themselves is heard and standing up for those without the capacity to vote intelligently.
The protesters know what Britain is all about. Good people. We’ll all be thinking of you.

A huge, huge thanks from all on NSC

D

Deleted member 2719

Your weird fantasies are just that Mouldy.... fantasies.... just like your dreams of sunny uplands.
I won't encourage you otherwise you might cream yourself... and that wouldn't be a good look for you.

Come on Lever you can feel the tension every time we chat, you're bang-up for it, perhaps we could invite Nigel and Boris, soamesy can watch from a cupboard.

I'll let you clean up Lever.

Jan 30, 2008
I think I speak for everyone in wishing the people’s vote marchers all the best for tomorrow. I can’t make tomorrow but I know many who will be there and I know NSC will be with them in spirit.
Fighting the good fight and upholding our DEMOCRATIC right to protest. Making sure the voice of those less able to represent themselves is heard and standing up for those without the capacity to vote intelligently.
The protesters know what Britain is all about. Good people. We’ll all be thinking of you.

A huge, huge thanks from all on NSC

you mean loads of liberal/left extremists Nibble :wink:
regards
DF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here