[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
In some ways this has helped Boris because he just throws it back in their faces when it all goes tits up. What happens if the EU refuse to grant and extension of time to implement Article 50, if they can.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don’t need another referendum just let parliament and the executive finish the job they are supposed to do from the decision given by the IN/OUT referendum. It is now in their court to sort out the details and carry out the instruction given.
Still getting mixed messages from some remainers, on the one hand referendums are dreadful, we shouldn’t have them at all and the people are too stupid to decide such important matters so let parliament make the important decisions, that’s what we elect them for…….on the other, lets take the decision out of parliaments hands and use the process again we hate and don’t want anymore of and we are perfectly capable of deciding even though we the public are too stupid.
And thats before you factor in everyone seems to have a different version of what referendum question would even be asked.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761146e1aabeacf234768f6a3401ac456910a7d6cd7d&rid=giphy.gif :lolol:

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
A part of me loves the way thing are currently panning-out (and I still believe that we will remain, much as that might be wishful thinking), but I really do feel for the younger generation among us, having to grow up with this awful shadow hanging over them. Whatever happens, they are the ones that will bear the brunt of the consequences of decisions made (or unmade) in the coming few months...possibly years? Who knows.
I feel so lucky to have grown up in the blindly optimistic and heady days of the 60's, where anything and everything seemed possible, and people seemed genuinely happy, in the main.
I would love more than anything for our current crop of children/young adults to have something resembling that, but I fear that it just cannot be that way anymore, and they will grow up feeling powerless and embittered, with a more bleak outlook on 'life' than most of us on here ever had.
It truly saddens me, but I still feel that an inclusive attitude will bring far more benefits to them, in the long term, than this sudden tendency to isolationism that this ill-thought out referendum has prompted.
I say all the above from a position of someone who has never had kids, for various reasons, but can appreciate how depressing all this must be for those old enough to understand what's going on, and what the future may hold.
No real reason for posting this, and no axe to grind - I just needed to say it.

I feel exactly the same.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Lord Patten confirming the Tories are now the English National party.

[tweet]1169540418125651969[/tweet]

Patten as well. The EU really has torn the Tories apart after threatening to do so for so long. The funny thing is it happens when the Labour Party is such a mess, run by Marxists with a leadership team that aren’t that bright and policies that the country doesn’t want.

A country deserves its political class, what did we all do wrong in previous life’s?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
So, in summary, Russia under 'no deal' can export fuel to Britain at zero import rate instead of the 4.7% they currently pay.

Any Fuel that Britain exports to the EU after 'no deal' will be subject to an import rate of 4.7% instead of the zero import rate we currently pay.

I can't see any issues with that, but apparently the British fuel industry thinks differently ???

I think you mean the company in the importing country pay the tariff not the exporting country. This of course pushes up the price to the consumer therefore damaging the the exporter.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Don’t need another referendum just let parliament and the executive finish the job they are supposed to do from the decision given by the IN/OUT referendum. It is now in their court to sort out the details and carry out the instruction given.
Still getting mixed messages from some remainers, on the one hand referendums are dreadful, we shouldn’t have them at all and the people are too stupid to decide such important matters so let parliament make the important decisions, that’s what we elect them for…….on the other, lets take the decision out of parliaments hands and use the process again we hate and don’t want anymore of and we are perfectly capable of deciding even though we the public are too stupid.
And thats before you factor in everyone seems to have a different version of what referendum question would even be asked.

You strike me as quite an intelligent fellow, underneath it all, but I cannot fathom your blindness over this. Seriously, I can't.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It was easier when we had an Empire and there was no complicated trade deals. Not sure if we can vote for that now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
In some ways this has helped Boris because he just throws it back in their faces when it all goes tits up. What happens if the EU refuse to grant and extension of time to implement Article 50, if they can.
They won't. The only one will be Macron but he will get overruled by the other leaders.

None of this cluster **** has anything to do with the EU.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think you mean the company in the importing country pay the tariff not the exporting country. This of course pushes up the price to the consumer therefore damaging the the exporter.

The tariff is paid to the relevant government. The price is agreed between the exporter and importer taking into account that tariff. I'm not sure the responsibility is relevant?

If we zero rate a product it makes it cheaper to import and you would expect, in the short term, for it to be cheaper for consumers, but may well undercut British suppliers and risk their businesses. Any British company will find exports more expensive when the EU apply their tariffs after Brexit.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They won't. The only one will be Macron but he will get overruled by the other leaders.

None of this cluster **** has anything to do with the EU.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

No matter how many times he gets the same answer, it'll not stop BG asking the exact same question.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
f it happens when the Labour Party is such a mess, run by Marxists with a leadership team that aren’t that bright and policies that the country doesn’t want.

I wouldn't say that's true - many of Labour party's policies last election were exceedingly popular. There was a lot of support for nationalising rail, energy caps, free uni tuition etc

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
The tariff is paid to the relevant government. The price is agreed between the exporter and importer taking into account that tariff. It is not the responsibility of one or other to pay it. If we zero rate a product it makes it cheaper in the short term but may well undercut British suppliers. Any British company will find exports more expensive.

I'm not sure what you mean?
You said about the Russians currently paying 4.7% tariff but it is the company importing the goods that pay the tariff to the government surely

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You said about the Russians currently paying 4.7% tariff but it is the company importing the goods that pay the tariff to the government surely

I've edited my previous post to try to make it clearer. I don't think it's relevant who pays it, as that is reflected in the agreed price, but yes it's the importers responsibility.

Maybe I should have said that Russian fuel that is imported is currently 4.7% more expensive than after the proposed no deal Brexit. Clearer?

*edit *
And of course, anyone exporting fuel from Britain will find it 4.7% more expensive. A double whammy on the British company, being undercut from abroad while seeing their exports increase in price.

Last edited:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You strike me as quite an intelligent fellow, underneath it all, but I cannot fathom your blindness over this. Seriously, I can't.

I know you cant fathom it. There are two different ideologies clashing heads here, the one group that thinks referendum decisions should always be respected and enacted and the other who believe referendum decisions should always be respected and enacted except if they lose in which case there should be a way to do it again and get the “correct” result.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports