Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The government will use the FTPA again to try to get their early election, meaning they need two thirds of MP's to back it. They must reckon they can get Labour to back it over the weekend.

Not sure how it can be voted on again after I was rejected yesterday and Monday will count as the same session of parliament, but there you go.

It would need to be a bill (different process)that says "not withstanding the FTPA" or something like it, they wouldnt be using the FTPA again. A bill if passed would have an election date set in stone (harder for labour to object) and would simply need a majority not two thirds

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
It would need to be a bill (different process)that says "not withstanding the FTPA" or something like it, they wouldnt be using the FTPA again. A bill if passed would have an election date set in stone (harder for labour to object) and would simply need a majority not two thirds

https://twitter.com/MarkerJParker/status/1169629312062054401?s=19

Confirmed by Number 10 to be trying FTPA again.

The 'not withstanding' bill wouldn't be used unless all else fails as I understand it as it's open to amendments and has to go through the Lords - FTPA doesn't.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The government will use the FTPA again to try to get their early election, meaning they need two thirds of MP's to back it. They must reckon they can get Labour to back it over the weekend.

Not sure how it can be voted on again after I was rejected yesterday and Monday will count as the same session of parliament, but there you go.

Can Bercow kybosh it?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Can Bercow kybosh it?

Apparently he could on the basis it's the same motion as before, but Rees-Mogg and chums believe a change of circumstances will have occurred once the no deal bill receives royal assent, so they think it can be brought back.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Can Bercow kybosh it?

Maybe - the Government will probably argue the anti-no deal bill that's going through is enough of a change of circumstance.

I don't know if that'll be enough though. The Government don't want to try a 'non withstanding' bill as they still want control of the dates and the Opposition parties could try to pass loads of amendments to the detriment of the Government. This is their last chance to call the election they want UNLESS they try to cancel proroguement which is hilariously why they're in this corner to start with.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Johnson speaking out as per, but doing so in front of a line of Police trainees..... anyone else feel this is a little threatening ?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Johnson speaking out as per, but doing so in front of a line of Police trainees..... anyone else feel this is a little threatening ?

He's just rambling, aimlessly
Really shambolic. I wonder whether his brother's resignation has got to him.

They are trying to get him off the platform now :shrug:

*edit*

Word is that he was completely off script. Journos were briefed for something different.

Last edited:

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

*edit*

Word is that he was completely off script. Journos were briefed for something different.

Piffle, paffle, wiffle, waffle

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1169273031535058945[/tweet]

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
And there was me thinking maybe Labour had done a deal with the Tories last night, promising to back the snap election to stop the filibustering in the Lords...

"I'd rather be dead in a ditch" [than go back to the EU for an extension]

Disobeying Parliament is a very bad look.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Cummings is probably off stage to the side with his head in his hands !. Did not see all the speech but what I did see was a rambling mess of bluster and stuttering, At least Mrs May could read a script and not stutter over the mantra's. Looking back, when she lost her voice while giving a key speech, everyone took the piss but that was about the only time she was incoherent, Johnson however, has incoherent as a default position !

Looking back further, I remember when George W Bush was President and Cameron was Prime Minister, compare Trump and Johnson to them and be very afraid .

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Apparently he could on the basis it's the same motion as before, but Rees-Mogg and chums believe a change of circumstances will have occurred once the no deal bill receives royal assent, so they think it can be brought back.

Labour would be better waiting till Johnson has to go to the EU cap in hand, it will kill him in the polls.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

*edit*

This is why they have hidden him away and stage managed the little he has said. I think two days repeating himself in parliament has challenged him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here