Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Ken Clarke "I Voted for Brexit 3 times".

He voted against no deal.

He also went on to say he will vote for the next brexit deal.

This wasn't about leave or remain and it doesn't suit leave's narrative to admit that.

Well done to those Tories sacrificing their Political careers to stop Johnson's No Deal. Shame that Corbyn won't have the balls to boot the 3 Labour rebels.

21 Tory MPs voted against their party
MPs voted for the motion 328 - 301.

There were 21 Conservative rebels:

Guto Bebb
Richard Benyon
Steve Brine
Alistair Burt
Greg Clark
Ken Clarke
David Gauke
Justine Greening
Dominic Grieve
Sam Gyimah
Philip Hammond
Stephen Hammond
Richard Harrington
Margot James
Oliver Letwin
Anne Milton
Caroline Nokes
Antoinette Sandbach
Nicholas Soames
Rory Stewart
Ed Vaizey

And three Labour rebels:

Kate Hoey
John Mann
Enrest

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I might have a little punt on Labour at those odds: 14-1 in a two-horse race is pretty decent.

Yes, they're behind in the polls but were a lot, lot further behind in 2017 and closed the gap significantly. Corbyn's not at best in the House but he's much happier campaigning while Johnson looks extremely uncomfortable when there's any pressure on him.

I think no overall majority is right but those Labour odds are tempting

I agree, tempting. But the huge obstacle is that the ever popular SNP hold 29 seats that Labour used to hold (the difference between 1997 and 2017). Over and above his lauded 2017 performance, Corbyn essentially has got to win 54 seats in other parts of ‘middle’ and Brexit England.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I might have a little punt on Labour at those odds: 14-1 in a two-horse race is pretty decent.

is tempting, just to pick up profit from cash in when the odd inevitably shorten. wouldnt wait to the result though, Labour on 25% which is terrible. Conservative (was) 35% latest. has hung parliament written all over it, and more importantly no resolution of the basic questions about how Brexit is resolved.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
"Independent Conservative" is my bet. Soames will probably stand and win, along with several others.

He has had enough and is standing down. It's only breaking news since he came out with it on Newsnight just earlier.

Interesting interview. He spent two hours with Boris Johnson. He believes he wants a deal but was warning him that his actions will inevitably leave to no deal and he can't vote for it.

They've thrown the grandson of Churchill out. Remarkable times, the Tory party as I've known it for my lifetime has died and is seemingly being led by an advisor.

I think this will cement the mind of a few "rebels" on the fence and the defeat tomorrow for the Government will be higher. They have thrown their last grenade in terms of getting the rebels on side.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He has had enough and is standing down. It's only breaking news since he came out with it on Newsnight just earlier.

Interesting interview. He spent two hours with Boris Johnson. He believes he wants a deal but was warning him that his actions will inevitably leave to no deal and he can't vote for it.

They've thrown the grandson of Churchill out. Remarkable times, the Tory party as I've known it for my lifetime has died and is seemingly being led by an advisor.

I think this will cement the mind of a few "rebels" on the fence and the defeat tomorrow for the Government will be higher. They have thrown their last grenade in terms of getting the rebels on side.

In truth, we’ve known these maths for 2 years plus. This is a pro Remain Commons, hence no agreement was ever possible. But lots of game playing and politics (eg Labour and Tory MP’s scared of deselection) over those 2 years.

Now, FINALLY, the cat’s out of the bag. Boris would’ve known all the above all along.

Now a general election which Boris seems relaxed about, all part of a ‘win win’ strategy as he sees it.

That really will be the nation’s second and final poll on Brexit.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
He said on Newsnight he won't be standing at the next election.
missed out on that.
thats what i thought too, the actions of Johnson seem to be steering him to no deal. the opposition paint him as wanting no deal, how does he realistically campaign for "i want a deal" with "we're preparing for no deal next week" rhetoric we've had the last months? last election was said to have been prompted by and run by PM advisor's, that went well. problem with advisors is they dont have to balance anything, give anything, trade support, do politics.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Quite a lot of the rebels are standing down at the next election but there are some who aren't - Hammond and Stewart most notably. I wonder what's going to happen there - I think they're both popular locally and could well stand anyway.

Johnson's in a mess. He can't call an election until no deal is passed and the Brexit Party says it will stand against him if no deal is passed. If he resists, he's stuck in parliament without a majority, getting a good kicking every week. It seems very self-defeating to kick out Tories, making it harder to win any votes. Are we sure Cummings is a strategic genius?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
jrm.jpg

Jimmy Grimble

4a1ae44ae1697b5a9be2f70eb5d6184a.png

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I read earlier that even if the bill is passed tomorrow to force Johnson to rule out no deal, when the time comes for the 28 EU countries to vote on accepting our withdrawal deal he can (as we are still a member) use the UK veto to effectively reject his own government’s proposal, therefore forcing us out without a deal.

I didn’t really catch any of the details, but if this is the case why doesn’t he just do that if he’s so happy with no deal?
The person who wrote that is wrong because for Brexit matters the EU27 have a vote and veto, not the EU28 which includes the UK.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
In truth, we’ve known these maths for 2 years plus. This is a pro Remain Commons, hence no agreement was ever possible. But lots of game playing and politics (eg Labour and Tory MP’s scared of deselection) over those 2 years.

Now, FINALLY, the cat’s out of the bag. Boris would’ve known all the above all along.

Now a general election which Boris seems relaxed about, all part of a ‘win win’ strategy as he sees it.

That really will be the nation’s second and final poll on Brexit.

Who's going to vote for that? I think he's hamstrung himself, and a good job he's done about it, too!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think remainers may be celebrating a pyrrhic victory. If a general election is called, although there is doubt about whether that would be possible, I believe Johnson would do well.
And Peston reckons if Johnson wins an election before October 31st, he can then quickly repeal any legislation passed tomorrow and crash out with a catastrophic no deal anyway.

Which seems a reasonable analysis.

So Corbyn needs to resist his yearning for an election until after November 1st.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Johnson wants out before the new tax avoidance regs come in and I have no doubt he'll find a way to do it, no matter what the affront to democracy and the constitution. As short lived as this glimmer of hope for reason, decency, and common sense might be, it is a triumph for democracy to see Johnson and Mogg challenged in such a decisive fashion.
And some much needed deflation for the puffed out chests of the No Deal Brexiteer loons who wrongly assumed they were going to get it all their own way. You may get what you think you want in the end but today saw you dealt a hammer blow by real democracy with real power behind it.
Some wounds being licked tonight.

VIVA LA REBEL ALLIANCE!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Johnson wants out before the new tax avoidance regs come in and I have no doubt he'll find a way to do it, no matter what the affront to democracy and the constitution. As short lived as this glimmer of hope for reason, decency, and common sense might be, it is a triumph for democracy to see Johnson and Mogg challenged in such a decisive fashion.
And some much needed deflation for the puffed out chests of the No Deal Brexiteer loons who wrongly assumed they were going to get it all their own way. You may get what you think you want in the end but today saw you dealt a hammer blow by real democracy with real power behind it.

VIVA LA REBEL ALLIANCE!

Go away and shut up!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

VIVA LA REBEL ALLIANCE!

I think you might be a bit premuture with your celebrations. Pro-Brexit Lords are likely to force a timeout on whatever the rebels put forward on Wednesday.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you might be a bit premuture with your celebrations. Pro-Brexit Lords are likely to force a timeout on whatever the rebels put forward on Wednesday.

Read what I have written properly. I know Boris will find a way to crash us out of the Eu and into an economic Hellscape. We will leave the EU with no deal. What I am celebrating is that decent folk do have a backbone. They will stand up to the Gammons and the liars and the Tory scum desperate to pervert democracy for their own gain. Brexiteers got a battering yesterday. Johnson was outed (again) as a lying scumbag. That's what I celebrate. I'm sure the lunatics will be handed back the keys to the asylum shortly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here