Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not sure I see your logic ? Are you suggesting because of the narrow margin the leave vote was for a very soft Brexit, while if it had been a bigger margin it would have suggested support for a harder Brexit ?

There are plenty of people who voted Leave and knew exactly what they were voting for.

There are plenty of others who didn't have the first idea of what it all meant, who adopted it as a protest vote, who made up their mind only when they got in to the voting booth.

The only way to double check how people feel now would be to have a second vote. Are people who oppose that idea scared of losing it, which they could well do.

Parliamentary Democracy rules OK - Ha ha joke.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm not sure I see your logic ? Are you suggesting because of the narrow margin the leave vote was for a very soft Brexit, while if it had been a bigger margin it would have suggested support for a harder Brexit ?

Yes. This would’ve been fairest. The country voted very narrowly for Brexit, so a soft brexit would’ve been the most appropriate outcome. It also probably would’ve had enough support of Remain MPs that we would’ve left long before now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
There are plenty of people who voted Leave and knew exactly what they were voting for.

There are plenty of others who didn't have the first idea of what it all meant, who adopted it as a protest vote, who made up their mind only when they got in to the voting booth.

The only way to double check how people feel now would be to have a second vote. Are people who oppose that idea scared of losing it, which they could well do.

Parliamentary Democracy rules OK - Ha ha joke.

Double check? And say it goes slightly Remain to make it 1 all, where do we go next? Best of 9? Just Remain delaying, scuppering and sabotaging to hope it will simply go away and we stay in. Highly unlikely long term I would venture.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Double check? And say it goes slightly Remain to make it 1 all, where do we go next? Best of 9? Just Remain delaying, scuppering and sabotaging to hope it will simply go away and we stay in. Highly unlikely long term I would venture.

There's a huge difference between a vague in/out vote that specified no details of what that involved and a vote that says here are exactly what each option means, make your choice.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A bit like the sustainability of the no deal Brexit that you want but can't explain how it'll work.

I never wanted no deal, but forced into a corner, and we have to leave, it's the only option. Our trusty MPs had the chance to vote May's deal through, but Jezza & Co said No.

Be careful what you really want.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
We can talk about whether there were lies or weren't lies told in the 2016 EU Referendum but one thing is fact - the Leavers told us we'd be getting back sovereignty of the UK Parliament, making our own laws in our own land and today Boris Johnson has tried to prevent that very thing happening by seeking to prorogue Parliament.

As a Remainer I've always regarded the biggest lie as £350 million to the NHS but this one trumps all others. Breathtaking arrogance.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I never wanted no deal, but forced into a corner, and we have to leave, it's the only option. Our trusty MPs had the chance to vote May's deal through, but Jezza & Co said No.

Be careful what you really want.

That's fine. I fully appreciate blaming absolutely everything on Jeremy Corbyn and believing in the fairy tale of no deal is a nice, simple default setting for a lot of people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Boris Johnson. What an undemocratic *******. Nothing short of a dictatorship.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yes. This would’ve been fairest. The country voted very narrowly for Brexit, so a soft brexit would’ve been the most appropriate outcome. It also probably would’ve had enough support of Remain MPs that we would’ve left long before now.

It was a binary choice - in or out, and while the electorate were led to believe a "Deal" was almost a given it was also clear that Boris was talking about leaving the EU institutions and paying £NIL to the EU, something that would be bound to continue with a 'Soft' Brexit.

The only choices were Remain, EFTA or Hard Brexit / WTO terms. There was never, ever, EVER going to be the sort of 'cake and eat it' deal Leavers told us was probable and millions believed would come to pass.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
What a lying **** you are

It's almost cute, isn't it.

I seem to be living in his head rent free, i seem to be in his signature twice! It's nice to have a fan club.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
She wouldn't do it off her own bat.

But if people around her (advisers) or other constitutional experts deemed it not to be a good idea, I would presume the matter would be "avoided" by a quiet word in the ear, some off the record conversations or whatever.

Well it appears old Queenie has agreed !

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Hopefully the Royal Family will now be got rid of , shame on them.

I'm torn on this. As much as I am a republican, she is not supposed to get involved and will therefore always agree to the government of the day. It's just protocol. It is absolutely wrong to have done so though, and is utterly shameful.

I'll tell you what though - watch everything surrounding Prince Andrew and sex allegations just melt away now...

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I'm torn on this. As much as I am a republican, she is not supposed to get involved and will therefore always agree to the government of the day. It's just protocol. It is absolutely wrong to have done so though, and is utterly shameful.

I'll tell you what though - watch everything surrounding Prince Andrew and sex allegations just melt away now...

To be fair that is a bigger outrage if it gets covered up anymore

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here