Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
IMO, and certainly last night's result would bear this out, without Brexit being delivered, the Tory Party will lose swathes of voters to the Brexit Party, the 'leave' vote will be split and Labour will walk a GE.

As far as Johnson is concerned, he will win - IF he's in the last two - the members will vote him in by a big majority - however there is clearly a campaign at Westminster by pro-EU MPs to keep his name off the ballot paper.

I see Soames has been tweeting / retweeting a lot of Rory Stewart stuff - is he backing him? If I had to make a choice he would get my vote, but he talks far too much sense to win.

I am kind of hoping Boris gets the job, the task is unachievable, whoever gets the job is going to be about as long lived in the role as Theresa May, so maybe now is a good time to stick Boris in, and watch him fail. Rory Stewart is a fine Politician and I would hate to see him chewed up and spat out by Brexit.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I see Soames has been tweeting / retweeting a lot of Rory Stewart stuff - is he backing him? If I had to make a choice he would get my vote, but he talks far too much sense to win.

Soames is backing Stewart.

[tweet]1133328028644331521[/tweet]

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
IMO It's far too early to say that.

Depends on:

When the GE is.

Whether Brexit has been 'delivered' or not and in what form.

Who is the Tory leader.

Who is the Labour leader.

I suppose there are a set of circumstances I have not imagined that could change things but;
If we leave with no deal, it will expose what a truly bad idea that is, and the Tories will get the blame.
If we leave on the current deal with or without a permanent Customs Union explicitly stated in the PD, the Eurosceptics in the Party plus Farage will say it is not a real Brexit, and the Tory party will get the blame.
If we still have not left, the Tory party will get the blame.
Even if they use another referendum to either deliver or avoid Brexit, if they don't include No Deal as an option, the likes of Farage etc. will decry it, if they do include No Deal as an option, most sane people will see that as reckless.

I really can't see anyone getting an outcome that does cause deep unhappiness to a large portion of the electorate and 50% of their traditional support.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
IMO, and certainly last night's result would bear this out, without Brexit being delivered, the Tory Party will lose swathes of voters to the Brexit Party, the 'leave' vote will be split and Labour will walk a GE.

As far as Johnson is concerned, he will win - IF he's in the last two - the members will vote him in by a big majority - however there is clearly a campaign at Westminster by pro-EU MPs to keep his name off the ballot paper.

I still don't see how last night's result means Brexit is more likely to be delivered. The parliamentary arithmetic is still against no deal - the Peterborough result doesn't change that - and as the EU said they're not going to renegotiate, we're still stuck in an impasse.

One thing we do know is that sufficient number of Tory MPs said they won't countenance Johnson as leader so, if he's elected, he'll face an immediate vote of no confidence - which is likely to get passed. What happens then is anyone's guess but if there's an election, the Tories are going to be wiped out. That's why the Tories will do lots to keep Johnson's name off the ballot.

And yes, Soames is one of Stewart's five backers - he needs to find three more now.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Soames is backing Stewart.

Rory Stewart is a throwback to an old age of the street evangelist. He's not afraid to face the public. He's not a politician by nature either. An idealist, environmentalist, and serial wanderer. He has had some difficult jobs in the diplomatic core and has walked from Turkey to Nepal, crossing Afghanistan late despite considerable danger to his own life. I'm currently reading one of his works. He served in the army too.

When you put Boris Johnson against him you really do see the stark contrast the politics brings us. Johnson looks an embarrassing caricature. It is a depressing thought that if those two run against each other then Johnson should win comfortably. For that is a summary of most of the Conservative party membership.

Stewart would make me seriously consider voting Tory. But only for a few short seconds. This being because I would realise that he is an apparition, a dream like image of what I hope cautious one-nation conservatism would be. Then, like John Major, I would realise it was the legions of '********' behind him that extinguish such a thought as folly.

Last edited:

Jan 30, 2008
The truth is Labour would have picked up lots of votes from the Europeans who live there. That's still a good result for the Brexit party considering they only launched a few months ago.

of course it is 600 votes shy is not to be sniffed at ,and it sends a clear message to the Tories to get a Brexit PM in who gives the EU the ultimatum of a no deal Brexit , the biggest ace card we hold :wink:
regards
DR

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
of course it is 600 votes shy is not to be sniffed at ,and it sends a clear message to the Tories to get a Brexit PM in who gives the EU the ultimatum of a no deal Brexit , the biggest ace card we hold :wink:
regards
DR

Its an ace card that may as well be the joker. You clearly haven't been following what is going on...

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Rory Stewart is a throwback to an old age of the street evangelist. He's not afraid to face the public. He's not a politician by nature either. An idealist, environmentalist, and serial wanderer. He has had some difficult jobs in the diplomatic core and has walked from Turkey to Nepal, crossing Afghanistan late despite considerable danger to his own life. I'm currently reading one of his works. He served in the army too.

When you put Boris Johnson against him you really do see the stark contrast the politics brings us. Johnson looks an embarrassing caricature. It is a depressing thought that if those to run against each other the Johnson should win comfortably. For that is a summary of the Conservative party membership.

You say that he (Stewart) is an idealist, but I am not sure I would agree, as he seems to have a strong sense of pragmatism too. Maybe a pragmatic idealist.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You say that he (Stewart) is an idealist, but I am not sure I would agree, as he seems to have a strong sense of pragmatism too. Maybe a pragmatic idealist.

He has both indeed. He shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the main office. It'll ruin him.

I see him as an unsung national treasure- although, as Alan Bennett once suggested, it's a title no-one wants as it means oncoming mortality- and Stewart is not yet 50.

Jan 30, 2008
Its an ace card that may as well be the joker. You clearly haven't been following what is going on...
oh believe me i have , what you and a few others on here need to understand is that Nige has ruffled the feathers in Westminster BIG time............. watch this space
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here