Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Only UK (and Irish) citizens can vote - so they wouldn't have picked up any votes from Europeans.

This is a terrible result for the Brexit Party - only two weeks after a strong showing in the Euro elections it can't win in a strongly-Leave seat.

Quite frankly, if it can't win in a by-election when it's riding on a wave, it's going to get nowhere in a GE, when its resources are going to be more widely spread and where its policies will come under closer scrutiny.

Yep. Agree with this. Brexit Party threw all they could at this and got beat, doesn't bode well for other parliamentary elections at all. In a GE it's not like they can have Farage doing regular rallies in every seat. The wider conditions were perfect too. Sitting Labour MP imprisoned. Labour candidate accused of racism. Thin majority from the last GE. Tories leaderless and floundering. Endless coverage off the back of winning the European elections and all fought in seat that voted 61% to Leave in the referendum. They still lost.

And then we hear from the Brexit Party that the reason they lost was 'a mainly Pakistani vote' and from a supporter on here that it was the 'Europeans'. Now nobody is saying that they are a party fuelled by xenophobic, racist, prejudices. But I could understand how people might start to think that.

I suspect the Brexit Party will suffer from the 'shy Tory' effect in the national polls too, except the people who said they will vote for them in the polls will go all over the place at the actual ballot box. To be honest, if I was asked by Yougov or whatever I might say that I would support the Brexit Party. It seems to be a good method of moving the other parties and then you get the enjoyment of Farage losing parliamentary seat after parliamentary seat that he expects to win.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Can someone please explain what the cliche 'deliver Brexit' means?
It sounds like a package that is stuck in the post rather than a deadly serious matter being fiercely contested. Rubbish verb in this context.

Better still it could be binned and never used again.

Last edited:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
All this result will do is ensure the next PM takes us out of the EU.

If that happens, there will be no Brexit Party at the next GE.

Tory vote -25%

Labour Party -17%

Liberal +9%

Green +1%

Don't really see how any of the parties can be particularity happy with those results.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Tory vote -25%

Labour Party -17%

Liberal +9%

Green +1%

Don't really see how any of the parties can be particularity happy with those results.

Farage will find something else trick people with to get rich.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's been pointed out to him before on here that EU citizens can't vote in general elections, but you'd have really thought that someone with an EU national for a Mother, who he helped apply for settled status, would know a basic fact like that.

Oh. He has an EU mother.....he could have mention this......AGAIN! :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Some interesting quotes in there from non-politician professionals who are heavily involved and know what is happening without the political spin

(Karen Wheeler, director general of Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs Brexit border delivery group) departure is being seen as a blow to the government and increasing the risk that the UK will not be as prepared for a possible no deal on 31 October.

“Nothing is happening in Whitehall now. Lots of people have been stood down on Brexit no-deal preparations and there is a general risk that people are just going to see this hiatus as an opportunity to clear off and go into the private sector,” said a source who knows Wheeler.

(Jon) Thompson (HMRC’s chief executive) is seen as one of the most brutally honest Whitehall officials in relation to the realities of Brexit, and his openness in multiple appearances in House of Commons select committees warning of ballooning costs of border arrangements has had a knock-on effect in the culture of the department.

It meant officials were unafraid of politically inconvenient truths, including Wheeler, who earlier this year said there were no magic technological solutions for preventing a hard border with Ireland in the event of no deal.

Wheeler said the UK would need a customs union with the EU, plus something that looked like a single market, to have completely free movement of goods across the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I'd like to know why you think it makes any difference to whether we're out of the EU or not.

One thing that where I think it has made a difference is that there's less chance of Johnson getting elected as leader, but that's the only thing I can see.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
[tweet]1136927273343442944[/tweet]

No, Michael, you should do what's best for the country not what's best for the Conservative Party.

Tosser.

Yoda

English & European
[tweet]1136927273343442944[/tweet]

No, Michael, you should do what's best for the country not what's best for the Conservative Party.

Tosser.

He did at least get one thing right recently though. If the next PM/leader rushes a No Deal Brexit, it will mean Labour winning the next GE.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He did at least get one thing right recently though. If the next PM/leader rushes a No Deal Brexit, it will mean Labour winning the next GE.

So now he just has to decide whether to deliver a deal with customs union or no deal and NI border.

So 3 years on, a few £10's of billions wasted, 88,000 posts on this thread and nothing has changed

yulSyu0.gif

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
That is a racist comment in itself. How can anyone defend it?

What's clear from the way they campaigned in Peterborough is that Labour have forsaken the working classes and have become the party of the Corbyn fantasists and the Muslim immigrant. We MUST have an investigation into the postal votes at this by-election. @Iromg @talkRADIO

The party for the racist vote

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
What's clear from the way they campaigned in Peterborough is that Labour have forsaken the working classes and have become the party of the Corbyn fantasists and the Muslim immigrant. We MUST have an investigation into the postal votes at this by-election. @Iromg @talkRADIO

If a sub-Saharan African Country had a system like ours - turn up at Polling Station, get asked name - no polling card needed, no ID needed, we'd say that Electoral fraud was rife.

The system needs changing.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I'd like to know why you think it makes any difference to whether we're out of the EU or not.

One thing that where I think it has made a difference is that there's less chance of Johnson getting elected as leader, but that's the only thing I can see.

IMO, and certainly last night's result would bear this out, without Brexit being delivered, the Tory Party will lose swathes of voters to the Brexit Party, the 'leave' vote will be split and Labour will walk a GE.

As far as Johnson is concerned, he will win - IF he's in the last two - the members will vote him in by a big majority - however there is clearly a campaign at Westminster by pro-EU MPs to keep his name off the ballot paper.

I see Soames has been tweeting / retweeting a lot of Rory Stewart stuff - is he backing him? If I had to make a choice he would get my vote, but he talks far too much sense to win.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Broad statement. Please explain with evidence.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Tory vote -25%

Labour Party -17%

Liberal +9%

Green +1%

Given that there is no support for the withdrawal agreement as it stands within the Tory ranks, that the EU are unwilling to alter it, and that Parliament also will not allow no deal, No Prime Minister can guarantee they will take us out of the EU.
The last PM was trying to take us out of the EU, whoever gets the job next will be boxed in by the same walls that Theresa May was, the only way through in this Parliament is with Labour support, and no one running for the job is going to say that out loud.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The last PM was trying to take us out of the EU, whoever gets the job next will be boxed in by the same walls that Theresa May was, the only way through in this Parliament is with Labour support, and no one running for the job is going to say that out loud.

Not quite true: Rory Stewart has said that they only way to withdraw is to get parliamentary agreement (which means, in effect, Labour support). And Sam Gwimah has offered another way - a second referendum. That would also clear the logjam.

All other candidates seem to be operating in a fantasy world where the parliamentary arithmetic doesn't matter

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Whatever they do, Tories will not win the next GE, or even be able to form a coalition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here