Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm guessing, but should imagine they get wind of exit polls on the fly and adjust their odds accordingly? They're not allowed to publish what they receive but you can't prevent them adjusting their odds. Either that or they are simply reacting to the markets if indeed they are bouncing (I don't know whether or not that is true).

Or maybe we've all been waiting to find out what Bobby Zamora thinks. Happily, he's one of the good guys. :clap2:

A number of hedge funds have paid the polling companies to conduct private exit polls. This is allowed under current legislation. It will cost them £5-10,000 for such an exercise.

They are using this information in the currency exchange markets, betting millions on the outcome before the result is known for certain. This will of course move the markets as they buy or sell.

Sterling is up by 1.14% this morning already, which suggests that............

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Correct. This referendum should NEVER have taken place for exactly those reasons - fact being lost in a sea of misinformation and deceit. We are a parliamentary democracy - we elect people to make decisions with ALL the facts at hand. We don't pay them to defer the difficult and divisive decisions to the people.

Disagree. With something as big as this the only way is to put it to the people. If the vote is remain, it should kill the debate for the foreseeable future.

Would you say the same thing about the Scottish independence referendum?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Disagree. With something as big as this the only way is to put it to the people. If the vote is remain, it should kill the debate for the foreseeable future.
Excellent. I look forward to the referendum on the UK becoming a republic, something I personally feel passionate about.

Are you seriously comparing the two issues? Scotland have voted for SNP MPs in 54 of their 59 constituents. I think they're entitled to call for a referendum. By contrast, UKIP have ONE MP. They are an irrelevant pressure group and should not be pandered to in the same manner.

D

Deleted member 22389

It might for you, but it wont for me. The problems will still exist in the EU, and when Cameron, Corbyn and everyone else talks about reform it means nothing. The EU doesn't reform.

What I think might happen, and I say again might, more people might jump over to UKIP. Once Farage decides to let go, other people will take over and put UKIP on a new path. I don't like the EU and I don't like the idea that we have no control over free movement. Labour and Tories and the Lib Dems are certainly not interested, that is clear, so UKIP offers something different to the rest.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Excellent. I look forward to the referendum on the UK becoming a republic, something I personally feel passionate about.

Are you seriously comparing the two issues? Scotland have voted for SNP MPs in 54 of their 59 constituents. I think they're entitled to call for a referendum. By contrast, UKIP have ONE MP. They are an irrelevant pressure group and should not be pandered to in the same manner.

The majority of the electorate prior to today were never asked whether they wish to be in the EU

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Indications are that remain will win, looks very promising at this stage…

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

If there's consensus for a vote about becoming a republic then I'd say it's another of the few issues that would have to go to referendum.

Of course I'm comparing the two issues, it's exactly the same principle. It's got nothing to do with how many MPs the Scots elected and this referendum hasn't been triggered by UKIP, although both might have played a part in triggering the referendum they are issues that have been debated and argued about for decades.

Do you seriously believe Scottish voters kicked the Labour party out because they wanted independence and had it nothing to do with domestic issues?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I'm guessing, but should imagine they get wind of exit polls on the fly and adjust their odds accordingly? They're not allowed to publish what they receive but you can't prevent them adjusting their odds. Either that or they are simply reacting to the markets if indeed they are bouncing (I don't know whether or not that is true).

Or maybe we've all been waiting to find out what Bobby Zamora thinks. Happily, he's one of the good guys. :clap2:

Now Bobby has joined Becks, there is the making of a good Veteran Remainers team here.:clap2:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

I am no UKIP fan, however their one MP shows what is wrong with FPTP.

UKIP get 4 million votes and one MP.

The SNP get 1.5m votes and 54 MP's.

Hardly representative democracy.

More individual bets for leave yesterday but bigger monetary bets for remain.
Skewing the market.
The underdogs are still in it:-D

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

An irrelevant pressure group which got 3.9 million votes in the General Election and 4.3 million votes in the last European election coming first. Their increasing support caused Cameron to hold the referendum .... so not irrelevant at all.

D

Deleted member 22389

An irrelevant pressure group which got 3.9 million votes in the General Election and 4.3 million votes in the last European election coming first. Their increasing support caused Cameron to hold the referendum .... so not irrelevant at all.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more people jump over to UKIP. The EU issue is just not suddenly going to go away if we Remain. If you can't win the Referendum the next step is getting more MP's.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am no UKIP fan, however their one MP shows what is wrong with FPTP.

UKIP get 4 million votes and one MP.

The SNP get 1.5m votes and 54 MP's.

Hardly representative democracy.

SNP only put up candidates in Scotland though, so your example isn't really representative. That said, you won't find me arguing if FPTP was binned off. It doesn't work at all, IMO - it merely serves the interests of the two major parties.

In the context of the SNP and their independence vote, those 3.9m votes amount to around 8% which ought to be irrelevant. The SNP took 1.5m of, what, 2.8m Scottish votes? That's well over half.

The only reason UKIP are not, strictly speaking, irrelevant, is because the Tories saw them eating into their own support, so were pandered to.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
SNP only put up candidates in Scotland though, so your example isn't really representative. That said, you won't find me arguing if FPTP was binned off. It doesn't work at all, IMO - it merely serves the interests of the two major parties.

It also comes down to boundaries, Scotland probably have too many seats for the population there.

As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more people jump over to UKIP. The EU issue is just not suddenly going to go away if we Remain. If you can't win the Referendum the next step is getting more MP's.
This, the tory and Labour love in over this will never be forgotten. They have been traitors to the political beliefs.

What I have seen from my 30 odd debates is real hatred of the remain labour stooges from their own labour members. The tory remainers have been getting dogs abuse from the grass roots.

A remain vote is only going to work in UKIPs favour, which is why Farage has reverted to a stupid poster campaign.
He can see his job and party dieing if we vote Leave.

If we remain then the puppet government who has the job of keeping us thinking we have democracy could be a Ukip majority.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Popped into the polling station at 7.02, whilst those there sought to get everything in place. I always think that there'll be some sort of dramatic knell rung when I drop my decision in to the box. But no noise accompanies it. Technology should have it that I have the option to have a sound effect when I vote, and even some musical accompaniment when I enter the polling station to heighten the tension and make sound of the weight of the decision I am about to make.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
As I said earlier, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot more people jump over to UKIP. The EU issue is just not suddenly going to go away if we Remain. If you can't win the Referendum the next step is getting more MP's

Some people thought that Scotland voting remain would weaken or cause disillusionment in the SNP if anything they are in a stronger position now. As you say the problems with the EU remain as does the vast majority of the UK public's wishes that immigration be brought down to sustainable levels so yes I can see UKIP gaining even more support. Plus of course the Conservative euro-scepticism will still be a factor with many Tory MP's furious at the way the government has conducted itself during the campaign so anyone hoping for a brave new world of EU enthusiasm will be sorely disappointed.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

And MEPs. Only the problem with that, is that every MEP seat that UKIP win, diminishes Britain's influence in Europe, all the time they continue to trouser the money, whilst refusing to attend the sessions, debate the issues, or take part in voting.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I will be prepared to eat some humble pie if Brexit does win the vote, but the bookies odds of that are decreasing at an ever increasing rate, looking very promising indeed! :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here