Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But the didn't. They drove a bus that said, we pay £350m to the EU

Lets fund our NHS instead.

That doesn't say that the NHS needs £350m more a week, or we will give that £350m a week. It could mean lets spends part of that money,

Its completely misleading and has been used as a weapon by the same people trying to justify their own misleading comments, like the econemy will crash if we vote to leave the EU, or unemployment will do up if we VOTE to leave the EU. That didn't happen.

Both sides are as guilty as each other for posting half-truths and misleading statements.

But where is the evidence for the Remain side half truths and misleading statements?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Greece and Italy had general elections and the only thing that was forced was the economy as they were part of the euro.
Greece had an election which punished their two main parties for the mess of the economy. They rejected the austerity that was necessary to get them back on track.
https://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/...ns-effort-to-form-a-government-in-greece.html

The second election was called on the basis of accepting the bailout and austerity as proposed by Samaras. He won enough seats for his New Democrat party to form a coaltion and approve the bailout. The voters weren't forced in any way, and had a free vote.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18478982

Utterly missing the point .... as usual. The Greek PM was forced to resign thanks to EU pressure. Watch the BBC ( and yes I know you have some irrational hatred of the BBC ) documentary about the last 10 years in the EU. The EU absolutely forced a change of government in Greece and and change in Italy ( bet they wish they hadn't now for Italy ! ). The EU are absolute scum when it comes to democracy and getting their own way.

Weirdly they didn't punish France when they broke the same rules as Greece ..... can't imagine why !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I really cannot be bothered to dredge up campaign claims of economic turndown made whilst the campaign was raging. I have no doubt you know what I am referring to.[/QUOTE

Claims and predictions are not lies and broken promises.

VoteLeave broke the law. That has been found and established.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Utterly missing the point .... as usual. The Greek PM was forced to resign thanks to EU pressure. Watch the BBC ( and yes I know you have some irrational hatred of the BBC ) documentary about the last 10 years in the EU. The EU absolutely forced a change of government in Greece and and change in Italy ( bet they wish they hadn't now for Italy ! ). The EU are absolute scum when it comes to democracy and getting their own way.

Weirdly they didn't punish France when they broke the same rules as Greece ..... can't imagine why !

As I have said previously, I have friends in Athens. The second election was not forced by the EU but by riots in the capital. George Samaras stood on the basis of accepting the bailout (Britain had to accept IMF bailouts in the 70s before we joined the EU) and won.
How is that undemocratic? It is lazy to blame the EU.

Portugal was in trouble a few years ago, and as EU partners, Britain agreed to loan them money, which has been paid back in full. Portugal was one of the countries in trouble. Remember the acronym PIGS Portugal Italy Greece and Spain? They weren't all forced to have elections by the wicked EU.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So you missed Osboune saying there would have to be a emergency budget within weeks if we voted out. Maybe I missed said budget ? Or maybe your blue with yellow stars glasses have blinded you to his statement ?

The emergency budget and everything else in 'project fear' - when was The PM at the time saying Article 50 would be invoked? Was it June 24th 2016 or March 29th 2017 with transitional period and option to extend?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Yet Yanis Varoufakis who has more reason than you to refer to The EU as 'scum' and is actually Greek, not a leave voter from southern England with faux concern for Greece and it's people, wanted us to remain.

He knows The UK is up the creek without paddle now though too.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
As I have said previously, I have friends in Athens. The second election was not forced by the EU but by riots in the capital. George Samaras stood on the basis of accepting the bailout (Britain had to accept IMF bailouts in the 70s before we joined the EU) and won.
How is that undemocratic? It is lazy to blame the EU.

Portugal was in trouble a few years ago, and as EU partners, Britain agreed to loan them money, which has been paid back in full. Portugal was one of the countries in trouble. Remember the acronym PIGS Portugal Italy Greece and Spain? They weren't all forced to have elections by the wicked EU.

I suggest you watch the BBC documentary that clearly shows why the Greek and Italian PMs resigned.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
There are tons of reasons people have given in this thread. We keep going over the same old ground. I actually think the thread should be closed as it just attracts bitterness from both sides.

I keep trying to leave it alone but I can't seem to stop myself. :down:

I would like the poll to be reset to see if anyone still thinks Mrs May is knows what she is doing.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There are tons of reasons people have given in this thread. We keep going over the same old ground. I actually think the thread should be closed as it just attracts bitterness from both sides.

I keep trying to leave it alone but I can't seem to stop myself. :down:
I too don't usually frequent this thread but as we're getting to the point end I'm here more.
I have no idea why the same combatants (from both sides) still insist on pulling each other's hair.

We're on the verge of a monumental shift in UK politics and this thread is still at name calling (of which I'm no angel).

Normally the melting pot of NSC is great source for news and opinions, just not here.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44856992

The headlines.
Brexit: Vote Leave broke electoral law, says Electoral Commission

:facepalm: Now show me the court that has backed this up ..... the EC can say whatever it wants .... until someone / an organisation is found guilty in court then they are innocent until proven guilty. I note the case has been sent to the police .... who have issued no charges as of yet.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
:facepalm: Now show me the court that has backed this up ..... the EC can say whatever it wants .... until someone / an organisation is found guilty in court then they innocent until proven guilty. I note the case has been sent to the police .... who have issued no charges as of yet.

The NCA have the files for investigating the fraud side of it, but breaking the law is breaking the law no matter how much you want to dismiss it. They had to pay a fine of £70K.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The NCA have the files for investigating the fraud side of it, but breaking the law is breaking the law no matter how much you want to dismiss it. They had to pay a fine of £70K.

They have been issued with a £70k fine which they are fighting. It will go to court ..... as it should.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
But the didn't. They drove a bus that said, we pay £350m to the EU

Lets fund our NHS instead.

That doesn't say that the NHS needs £350m more a week, or we will give that £350m a week. It could mean lets spends part of that money,

Its completely misleading and has been used as a weapon by the same people trying to justify their own misleading comments, like the econemy will crash if we vote to leave the EU, or unemployment will do up if we VOTE to leave the EU. That didn't happen.

Both sides are as guilty as each other for posting half-truths and misleading statements.

DfJ1SXwWkAA2Kui.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here