Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But you have not said what their explanation is. It might not have anything whatsoever to do with Brexit.

As I'm sure you've noticed Brexit hasn't happened yet, so I would hazard a guess it's not got anything whatsoever to do with Brexit. Things like this have happened before in terms of supply issues, however I've not seen printed/prepared signs like that on the store shelves saying they've got 'problems in their supply chain bringing certain goods into the country' in there before, hence my suspicion the signs might well be part of their 'Brexit ready' preparations for next month.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
[tweet]1101400998621388800[/tweet]

I didn't believe this tweet.
But it turns out, I should have done.

https://www.marchtoleave.com/route

There was me thinking Farage was going to go all Ian Botham and do a full on, proper Jarrow march all the way to London dressed as Rupert the bear, smoking Dunhill's like all men of the people do.

It's such a betrayal. :nono:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There was me thinking Farage was going to go all Ian Botham and do a full on, proper Jarrow march all the way to London dressed as Rupert the bear, smoking Dunhill's like all men of the people do.

It's such a betrayal. :nono:

[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]'s comment yesterday had me thinking 'why did I vote remain?'.

I wasn't particularly pro (or anti) EU - I am now!!!!
I'm a wishy-washy sandal knitting liberal.
I'm certainly not political by virtue of living in an 'elect a hatstand wearing a blue rosette' constituency.
I got absolutely no direction from either campaign.

I came to the conclusion I voted Remain because of who I felt lied less.

This frankly ridiculous, meaningless, lying, posturing dogs dinner of a 'March', is proof positive I made the correct decision.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
27 days until *no deal*.

27 days until 'Dystopia Day'.

Unless the twits in Parliament vote for the deal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
[MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION]'s comment yesterday had me thinking 'why did I vote remain?'.

I'm certainly not political by virtue of living in an 'elect a hatstand wearing a blue rosette' constituency.

This frankly ridiculous, meaningless, lying, posturing dogs dinner of a 'March', is proof positive I made the correct decision.

I for one shall turn out to support the marchers. My only worry is that the supermarkets will have run out of eggs. Might be a few old cabbages left I suppose.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As I said you can vote to change our government, therefore, the Prime minister. We can't elect or remove the Commission or any of its members or one of the many Presidents. But if You really think casting a vote to elect or remove the government (therefore the PM) in the Uk is less democratic than sending Nige and his mates to Strasbourg/Brussels who make naff all difference to anything then Ok.

And a PM may resign, and the party put up who ever they like as PM, MP's may leave the party they stood for at election and join any other, most people voted for a party other than the Tories, yet they are in Government, in our system, in the 2015 election the SNP had 56 seats with a popular vote of 4.7%, whilst the Lib Dems had 8 seats with 7.9% of the popular vote,

It will obviously take years to transition from over-reliance on non-UK medical personnel but glad you agree this should happen so a tick for leaving the EU as it would never change if we remain in.

Bullshit, it is completely within the Governments power to train, and retain UK nurses, but they get it wrong. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...funding-debt-tuition-fees-costs-a8191546.html After training and loading up with debt, many UK nurses head for Australia or Canada where wages are much higher and conditions better.

Yes, my link showed where the UK was voted down and overruled (13.3 % of the time 2009-15) it was mainly on issues such as budgetary control, foreign affairs and security … not quite bendy bananas low-grade issues you suggested. Just to confirm your previous 7% figure was woefully misleading and inaccurate. Unfortunately, there is often very little scrutiny to laws and regulatory power outsourced to Brussels, it's often just a rubber stamp exercise as the indomitable Mr Rees Mogg has referenced when he and just a few other Brexiteer MP's are the only ones turning up in the house or in committee.

Your link included this at the bottom of the page "Nevertheless, there are some important caveats against inferring too much from this evidence. First, overwhelmingly the Council decides by consensus, as very few votes are taken, and even when votes are taken the UK is on the winning majority side almost 87% of the time.

Second, unlike some other governments, the UK government might be more willing to publicly register its opposition to EU decisions by having its minority vote recorded (for domestic consumption or to signal its opposition to the Commission or the European Parliament for future rounds of negotiations) whereas some other governments might prefer to go along with the majority despite having more serious reservations than the UK.

Third, and related to this point, these data do not tell us what went on behind the scenes on each of these issues, and hence how much the UK disagreed with the majority position when it recorded its opposition – perhaps the UK was on the winning side on all the key issues it really cared about in this period.

Finally, for a fuller picture of the success or marginalisation of the UK in EU decision-making this evidence needs to be put together with other types of evidence, such as the actual bargaining over policy outcomes (which was addressed in the first post), and votes and bargaining in the other main legislative body in the EU: the European Parliament (which will be addressed in future posts).

For example, UK opposition in the Council might not be too costly if the UK MEPs won concessions or were on the winning side when the legislation was amended in the European Parliament. In addition, the UK government can also seek to influence politics in the European Council – where Heads of States and Governments meet – and through its representatives in the European Commission."

The most recent vote against from the UK was on Directive of the European Parliament and of the Council amending Directive 2004/37/EC on the protection of workers from the risks related to exposure to carcinogens or mutagens at work - The UK objected to the methodology used to reach the figure given as the limit of exposure to Diesel engine exhaust emissions, i.e. UK wanted a higher limit, and my cynical mind tells me that this is because we know we are exceeding those limits in London and other cities and care more about the economics of changing that than the lives saved. All in all though the UK was in favour of the majority of the content but voted against on just that figure for diesel emissions

The UK having a veto is of no relevance to the creation of the Eurozone and it's calamitous effects on many member states economies, dragging down overall EU economic performance which was the original point I was making. Are you happy for increasingly extreme governments having a veto in many of our affairs? If not what would change your mind .. perhaps the Front National taking power or the AfD entering government?

The Veto's are an issue for people like me who would like to see progression towards a Federal Europe, but for you to be against Nations having Veto powers is bizarre, they can't be used to change anything, only to prevent change.

Strong stuff, 'not happy about it' 'not good' 'None of my business'. What level of crushing austerity and suffering inflicted on our fellow European citizens by an organisation that was clearly at fault would raise your level of interest to perhaps mildly perturbed? If The EU had competently enforced it's own Eurozone entry criteria, the club rules, been consistent and fair in enforcement and punishment from day one no one would be mentioning Greece at all.

A big mistake was made, by both Greece and the EU, unfortunately it is Greece that bears the brunt of the error, but one argument of Brexiters was that by leaving we would avoid being asked to chip in to help Greece and others having issues, leaving does not help Greece, it is not a valid reason for leaving.

Surprised you need to ask that question … I thought all #teameu types read the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/08/not-much-remain-theresa-may-red-lines-brexit-deal

If Brexiteers who stand by their principles, electoral promises, and manifesto commitments also willing to resign are of dubious character … what are remain MP's who seek to ignore the referendum result, renege on electoral promises, manifesto commitments and refuse to resign?

David Davis resigned over the deal he negotiated, standing by your principles is great if you have decent principles, Boris Johnsons principles are "do what is best for me". Which remain supporting MP has suggsted we ignore the referendum result and just remain?

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I for one shall turn out to support the marchers. My only worry is that the supermarkets will have run out of eggs. Might be a few old cabbages left I suppose.

You’d be far more productive taking your unwanted food items to a food bank, people are really struggling out there....

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I wonder if they'll go through Grantham demanding that their remoaner MP Nick Boles is deselected? That's Thatcher's birthplace - I once read that when the Jarrow march went through there when she was a child, her Father closed his shop and wouldn't give them any food because he was such a git. I bet he'd have voted for Brexit and come out and given Farage a free can of Gordon's Gin and Tonic if he was alive today.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011

Pretty much sums me up - had to make a gut decision because the two sides just made stuff up.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder if they'll go through Grantham demanding that their remoaner MP Nick Boles is deselected? That's Thatcher's birthplace - I once read that when the Jarrow march went through there when she was a child, her Father closed his shop and wouldn't give them any food because he was such a git. I bet he'd have voted for Brexit and come out and given Farage a free can of Gordon's Gin and Tonic if he was alive today.

That would only happen if the shop moved to Sunderland or Parliament Square.
As you say the chances of Farage doing all of this march he's pleading others to do, is less than zero.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

14ddf450c13bab51e69506206fc50f96.jpg

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Dont fret,many remoaners on here are like you. They never really have anything positive to say about the EU,they whine for the sake of it too, and have ridiculous reasons for voting remain like hating the Tories or Farage.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Dont fret,many remoaners on here are like you. They never really have anything positive to say about the EU,they whine for the sake of it too, and have ridiculous reasons for voting remain like hating the Tories or Farage.

Deep joy, another Brexiter no longer worthy of a reply due to an inability to read the points I made or just instantly deflect away from them while throwing in random catch all comments.

So, that's yourself, 2 Professors and obviously Baker Lite, who's replies are largely irrelevant to the specific points being raised.
That's not to say it's a one way street, but fortunately I don't need to 'challenge' the opinions of those who's desire is to Remain.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Deep joy, another Brexiter no longer worthy of a reply due to an inability to read the points I made or just instantly deflect away from them while throwing in random catch all comments.

So, that's yourself, 2 Professors and obviously Baker Lite, who's replies are largely irrelevant to the specific points being raised.
That's not to say it's a one way street, but fortunately I don't need to 'challenge' the opinions of those who's desire is to Remain.

He says, whilst replying :ffsparr:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
lol. Nick Boles who voted FOR May's Brexit deal.

Not swivel-eyed enough for them, it seems.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can someone please explain that it would have been rude just to ignore without explaining my decision, esp as no matter how slim it might be, there could be a lesson learned.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Can someone please explain that it would have been rude just to ignore without explaining my decision, esp as no matter how slim it might be, there could be a lesson learned.

:lolol: You do realise dont you when you pretend to put someone on ignore it doesnt mean they have put you on ignore

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here