Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
You (and they) may not HATE foreigners, but surely you can see the irony in now voting Leave. Effectively you are saying it's alright for me and my relatives to live and work here, but in the future we don't want any more immigrants. The supreme ironists are the Chair of the Vote Leave Campaign (German!), the leader of UKIP (2nd wife German, 1st wife Irish), and even the leader of the Leave campaign himself (Turkish antecedents). These three (especially the latter two) have done a huge amount to stoke up anti-immigrant feelings, when their (or their spouses) presence in the UK is a result of our historic openness to immigration.
You show your ignorance here..... if you have really read the premise of the Leave message, it's focused on numbers..... not colour, creed, religion or nationality...... just simple volumes... we are simply full....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
They can say what they like, these migrants have traveled across many countries, the French could stop them before they reach Calais......err oh no they can not EU rules....which we won't be in, hopefully.
I hear ya but you'll never stop people wanting to come here and people getting here either legally or illegally, the only thing that might stop them is if the country plummets into oblivion, which I guess is a possibility..

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When my mum came to this country immigration wasn't running 330,000+ people a year, we had thousands of jobs, the economy was completely different to what it is now. We need to have some restrictions so it works for everyone. My dad was British.

The net immigration from the EU is 184k, so the other 146k we can restrict right now if we so chose, but seemingly we don't (because we know the economy needs it).

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The interesting thing about this is that the Sun likes to be on the side that's winning - or probably more doesn't want to look like it backs losers. It has to be reasonably sure that it's opinion is generally shared by its readers before it makes its mind up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I keep hearing this theory WD, if it keeps being stated it must be true. If we come out and the French don't bother stopping them, then our borders can close and any that make it here illegally can be returned, we will not be under EU laws or their rules.

Returned where though?

This is a completely separate issue to the referendum. These refugees presumably have to live somewhere, so how should it be decided on the location? Surely you can't have them returning to Syria, and the civil war there that has cost the lives of 400,000 people. If you did that it would be genocide.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Can you say that again in English :moo:

Clue:

You must know how too.

Then you can ask him if he has any real friends.

Clue: I'm his only friend:)

I'm sorry about that-was laughing too hard to type properly.You spread yourself thin.A black/white Scottish Romanian,with Greek and Polish mixed in.You,sir,are truly cosmopolitan and a friend to all.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
You show your ignorance here..... if you have really read the premise of the Leave message, it's focused on numbers..... not colour, creed, religion or nationality...... just simple volumes... we are simply full....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Erm isn't it like 5% of the UK that is built on? How about our corrupt government build some effing council houses for a start!!?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Returned where though?

This is a completely separate issue to the referendum. These refugees presumably have to live somewhere, so how should it be decided on the location? Surely you can't have them returning to Syria, and the civil war there that has cost the lives of 400,000 people. If you did that it would be genocide.

The refugees have passed through many safe countries before getting to France. I have always stated that genuine refugees should be looked after nearer the border to their own country, which is what our government and aid has been doing. Many in Calais are young migrants, not refugees.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Japan and countries a like are absolutely flying with development atm and it seems we just want to shut up shop and go live in the caves like the good old days!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
When my mum came to this country immigration wasn't running 330,000+ people a year, we had thousands of jobs, the economy was completely different to what it is now. We need to have some restrictions so it works for everyone. My dad was British.

Our economy is immeasurably better now than it was in 1964. We have more jobs than we've ever had. Unemployment is close to a ten year low (and not far off historic lows going back decades). Job vacancies are at just about their highest for 20 years (possibly longer - I just checked the data, but can't be bothered to search into the archives). According to the most recent figures there are approx 750,000 job vacancies currently in the UK. If we can't start to fill these, our economy will suffer. If there are so many Brits who are so capable, and being so badly impacted by immigration, then how the hell can there be so many vacancies?!

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I hear ya but you'll never stop people wanting to come here and people getting here either legally or illegally, the only thing that might stop them is if the country plummets into oblivion, which I guess is a possibility..

So do you think that a net figure (after emigration) of 330,000 a year (a town the size of Coventry, and bigger than Brighton and Hove population) a YEAR is sustainable, if you read the Leave campaign dossier it states "CONTROLLED immigration, not a complete shut out.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So far FOR exit we have Michael Gove, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and now Rupert Murdoch.....surely we only need Kim Jong-Un and IS and we have the full set ? ... it's a big incentive to vote Remain in my book.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
So do you think that a net figure (after emigration) of 330,000 a year (a town the size of Coventry, and bigger than Brighton and Hove population) a YEAR is sustainable, if you read the Leave campaign dossier it states "CONTROLLED immigration, not a complete shut out.

Soulman - out of interest - what do you think that "controlled" figure should be?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Japan and countries a like are absolutely flying with development atm and it seems we just want to shut up shop and go live in the caves like the good old days!

:lolol::lolol:.........good one, made me chuckle.....keep letting the amount of people in and it will be your generation living in caves....think on.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The interesting thing about this is that the Sun likes to be on the side that's winning - or probably more doesn't want to look like it backs losers. It has to be reasonably sure that it's opinion is generally shared by its readers before it makes its mind up.

Very true, The Times has ben quite even handed for a Murdoch rag and has not gone one way or the other yet, so I think the Sun feels it is preaching to the converted anyway, cue yet another " It Was The Sun Wot Won It ! " headline... expect that on the dashboard of Transit Man on the 24th June.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The refugees have passed through many safe countries before getting to France. I have always stated that genuine refugees should be looked after nearer the border to their own country, which is what our government and aid has been doing. Many in Calais are young migrants, not refugees.

I agree they have passed through other countries, but we are talking about the ones who are now in the UK, so where do you send them?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Soulman - out of interest - what do you think that "controlled" figure should be?

Well Jim, Firstly as you well know i think 330,000 per year is frightening, so i would suggest we look at how many people emigrate (say 200,000) in a year, and using a system of skills or people for job vacancies we have, let the same amount in......just keep on an even keel.
We are the second most densely populated country in Europe.....i believe that is fact.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here