Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Very low. Racist.

Explain to me what you consider racist in that post.If you feel it is racist then complain to the site moderators.If you cannot explain,and the moderators don't sanction me,then an apology would be in order.If not,then you are just a typical lazy lefty sheep,good at handing out abusive epithets without any understanding of why.The Windrush reference is because the clown I was referring to in my post was adamant Floella Benjamin had arrived on that ship.It sank before she was born.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Explain to me what you consider racist in that post.If you feel it is racist then complain to the site moderators.If you cannot explain,and the moderators don't sanction me,then an apology would be in order.If not,then you are just a typical lazy lefty sheep,good at handing out abusive epithets without any understanding of why.The Windrush reference is because the clown I was referring to in my post was adamant Floella Benjamin had arrived on that ship.It sank before she was born.

Take a lesson from Wayne Hennessey. I don't believe he is racist.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Take a lesson from Wayne Hennessey. I don't believe he is racist.

What has that got to do with anything?You see a picture of him making a nazi salute, you can tell he's not racist,but I am.???Still awaiting an explanation,or a moderator to sanction me.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hmm, the rate was 14% for a few years up to 2010, then the data source was changed, I think there was a change to how our new citizens were being assessed ie should they be catabolised as British citizens if born overseas?

https://fullfact.org/immigration/fo...ource=content_page&utm_medium=related_content

Fanciful or not, our prisons have more foreigners in them than they did 20-30 years ago which is costing the tax payers millions of pounds. You may think that the numbers are unconnected to EU freedom of movement and the approach by recent Govts to have a relaxed immigration policy but you would be in a minority on that one.

It was 11% in March 2018, with 57% of that being non-EEA nationals according this parliamentary briefing - https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN04334/SN04334.pdf

Our prisons have more people in them, full stop, than 20-30 years ago, but if you think Brexit will reduce immigration, reduce the foreign prison population here, restrict the ability of convicted foreign criminals, or foreigners in general, to enter The UK, that's up to you, but it won't for the detailed reason I've already given among others.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Our prisons have more people in them, full stop, than 20-30 years ago, but if you think Brexit will reduce immigration, reduce the foreign prison population here, restrict the ability of convicted foreign criminals, or foreigners in general, to enter The UK, that's up to you, but it won't for the detailed reason I've already given among others.

Yes, given that EU immigration has pretty much been replaced by non-EU on a one-to-one basis, I'm not quite sure where Cunning gets the idea that crime will come down after Brexit. If 57% of foreign prisoners are non-EU and 43% are from the EU, then, assuming those proportions hold, we're going to see an increase in foreign born prisoners in the coming years.

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Fair comment.

There isn't one political party I feel I can vote for at the moment, although the Lib Dems are the closest. We need a decent Centrist party to start up.

In spite of the Clegg toxic legacy, I would certainly vote Lib Dems. In the Charles Kennedy era, the Party totally represented my views......

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Do you think it’s impossible to prevent convicted foreign criminals to enter the U.K.?

You know we already restrict access to undesirables?

Yes, impossible if you cannot tell them apart from any other visitor from that country.
Who is sharing their National criminal records with the UK?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Fair comment.

There isn't one political party I feel I can vote for at the moment, although the Lib Dems are the closest. We need a decent Centrist party to start up.
You might enjoy Times columnist Philip Collins's Start Again. A thought-provoking read.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
A few posters started dishing out facts a week ago when you insisted there would be no difference in trade and made it clear that you had no idea.

So here was the explanation I went to the trouble of writing for you to explain some of those facts.

But you still didn't understand and insisted, even after these cold hard facts that you thought that we would continue trading with non-existent 'uncertified schedules' with no effect :shrug:

So, for your benefit again, here are some facts

Now I don't know whether you simply don't understand or whether you have your fingers in your ears shouting 'project fear' but, either way, I believe the phrase you like is 'have a hat' :dunce:
:lolol:
You need a bigger shovel
keep-calm-and-carry-on-digging-2.png

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What's the one thing that David Lammy and Femi Oluwole have in common, apart from their political beliefs?

Both are deceitful divisive undemocratic loony :censored: , I know that’s five things in common not one but it’s a bit of an easy question, I could go on. What is the one thing you thought of first above all else?

Does that make Maria Caulfield an absolute disgrace because Lewes voted 52% Remain, but she is a hardline Tory belonging to the ERG?

It makes her someone respecting the democratic vote of the UK. She was a known leaver before the referendum vote and is just accepting the democratic vote of the UK electorate to leave the EU.
The referendum was not run on constituency lines like a general election. It wasn’t even run on regional lines. It was a singular UK wide vote with the result to be based on the outcome given by the whole of the UK. Parliament as a body gave the people the deciding vote on the issue of remaining or leaving. They are morally obliged in the interests of parliamentary accountability to the whole nation to deliver on that result and finalise the UK leaving (not remaining) even if individual MPs did not agree with it.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
After Windrush and trying to get rid of legal British citizens, the Home Office has now come up with this.
Foreign nationals who are here legally, paying tax and NI, have to pay £200 extra a year to use the NHS. Fair enough maybe. Now the Home Office wants to double that. Many of the foreign nationals are working in the NHS itself which will explain why there are so many vacancies as they head home.

https://news.sky.com/story/home-office-doubles-charge-for-migrants-to-use-the-nhs-11601734

Yes it is fair enough. The Commons and Lords have approved it and why the need to mention windrush, there is no relativity to that issue at all.
It’s a National Health Service not an International Health Service. Foreign nationals who get a visa to come here or remain here after being here on a visa due to expire should contribute to the costs of the NHS, when they pay the charge they can get all the benefits of the NHS the same as a permanent resident, just think, when paying the charge they can arrive and receive NHS treatment free from day 1 without ever having made any tax or national insurance contributions. The NHS needs more money its only fair they contribute. A rise to £400 from the existing £200 a year seems fair.

Taking back control is another mantra just trotted out willy nilly. The UK had the capability of controlling the migrants from the EU but chose not to do exit checks. EU citizens had to find work within three months and have health insurance.
We have passport control at every port and airport, as we are not part of Schengen.

And where is the real border control you refuse to acknowledge we don’t have of being able to decide via quotas and permits to enter, such as we are currently able to do on non EU nationals, of who and how many can cross the border in order to work and live here in the first place. Checking up on people months after they have already crossed the border when their intention is to stay long term to live, jobseek or work is not adequate border control, yet you keep trotting out the mantra willy-nilly that it is. Probably a good indicator why your side were useless in the immigration debate.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

The Windrush sank in 1954. Floella Benjamin was born in 1949. She, and a lot of other immigrants from the Caribbean, consider themselves as part of "the Windrush Generation" even though most of them never saw the eponymous ship. If you're going to make stuff up, at least make it hard to disprove.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm satisfied that we are unlikely to leave without a deal. I wouldn't be surprised if Article 50 was extended. BREXIT is happening, but I'm not bothered if it takes a long time.

Happy to piss the PPFs of this world off if necessary.

It's about what is good for the national interest.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The Windrush sank in 1954. Floella Benjamin was born in 1949. She, and a lot of other immigrants from the Caribbean, consider themselves as part of "the Windrush Generation" even though most of them never saw the eponymous ship. If you're going to make stuff up, at least make it hard to disprove.

Exactly. Don't think it's part of their agenda to not lie.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes it is fair enough. The Commons and Lords have approved it and why the need to mention windrush, there is no relativity to that issue at all.
It’s a National Health Service not an International Health Service. Foreign nationals who get a visa to come here or remain here after being here on a visa due to expire should contribute to the costs of the NHS, when they pay the charge they can get all the benefits of the NHS the same as a permanent resident, just think, when paying the charge they can arrive and receive NHS treatment free from day 1 without ever having made any tax or national insurance contributions. The NHS needs more money its only fair they contribute. A rise to £400 from the existing £200 a year seems fair.

And where is the real border control you refuse to acknowledge we don’t have of being able to decide via quotas and permits to enter, such as we are currently able to do on non EU nationals, of who and how many can cross the border in order to work and live here in the first place. Checking up on people months after they have already crossed the border when their intention is to stay long term to live, jobseek or work is not adequate border control, yet you keep trotting out the mantra willy-nilly that it is. Probably a good indicator why your side were useless in the immigration debate.

There are 56 non EU nationalities that can travel to the UK Visa free and stay for up to 6 months, no one really knows though if they decide to stay for a few years, work in the black economy etc. some even end up cleaning at portcullis house with a security pass to gain access.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There are 56 non EU nationalities that can travel to the UK Visa free and stay for up to 6 months, no one really knows though if they decide to stay for a few years, work in the black economy etc. some even end up cleaning at portcullis house with a security pass to gain access.

So what? Are you advocating visa free travel for the purposes of tourism or short business trips should end.
The ones that slip through the net and state their intention is not to live here long term or work but really intend to do both illegally is one of the prices you pay for allowing foreign nationals to visit us and us to visit them under the visa waiver system. The trick is to weed them out at the border, and that skill belongs to enforcement officers.
I can get an ESTA and permission to travel to the states(thats all it is, permission to travel, not permission to enter) but its the border officer who decides if i can enter for my holiday or not. If i and a million Brits abused this and got an illegal job when there instead of just having a holiday then that visa waiver system would soon end. (recent example Iran and Serbia)
Better we are able to ask what their intentions are at the border than not (as in the case currently with EU nationals)
But this is all very different from intending to live long term or work where this necessitates applying for a visa to enter,applications that now increasingly require a criminal check certificate to be pass. Two different entities all together, there is no need to confuse and conflate the two

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here