Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Exactly, f***ed either way

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Why is it absurd to want to know what they propose to go for? On this subject all I know is what they are against, not what they are in favour of. If they're looking to negotiate a deal based upon restricting movement into the UK and not having to comply with all EU legislation that is totally different to them proposing that we'll go for an 'easier' deal along the same lines of Norway. The former is a true difference to what we'll get if we remain whereas the latter is very similar to what we have now except we'll be excluded when the rules get discussed.

So no, I don't expect them to predict what agreements will be in place, but I would like them to say what they want to go for. It's called having a strategy
It is absurd, because, and I reiterate, neither the remain or leave campaigns are a unified force. The remain can present a clearer idea as they contain our most important politician, the prime minister and remaining would see us simply carry on as we were. Leave cannot present a unified policy as they are not in such elevated positions of power.

All along it has been apparent that faith would play a major part in the referendum. If we remain, we need faith that things will improve in an already unpopular organisation. If we vote leave, then faith that whoever ends up leading our government (it wouldn't be Cameron) can negotiate good deals, whatever they may be.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Good as we only want investment that has faith in our economy if we leave....just hope they are not allowed back after the referendum :)

Here speaks the voice of Little England.

Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) is vital for the prosperity of the UK. We are a great choice for FDI because we have good incentives (low corporate tax rates), flexible labour laws, and access to the Single Market. We attract more FDI than any other EU country. Post Brexit (under the Boris/Gove model) we will no longer provide access to the Single Market. The LSE has estimated that this will reduce FDI by around 22%, and directly result in a reduction in annual GDP per capita of £2,200.

Apologies if your comment was ironic!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Here we go again- LSE,around 22%,reduction in GDP £2,200 blah blah blah £4300 blah blah blah,no economic plan,world war 3,plague of locusts,LOB etcetcetc
Records been stuck too long,change the needle.Found that £670,000,000 lost to fraud by the EU in 2015 yet?

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
UK risks billions in EU as new Eurozone crisis looms
There is a massive new crisis brewing in the Eurozone and it would be interesting to hear the Remain camp’s views. For Britain would be stung for billions from bailouts unless we vote to leave on June 23.
The talk in Europe is that everyone has been told to back off a bit while the British referendum is going on. There was an embarrassing moment the other day when rumours circulated of plans for a European army but the announcement is scheduled for a day or two after the referendum.

Good luck trying it without the British Army, by the way, Jean-Claude.

Anyway, no one seems particularly unhappy at this state of torpor. Several countries have said that there cannot be anything even in the next year or two which even hints at Treaty change and thus the prospect of a referendum. Even if Britain were to vote Remain, their voters would still be trigger happy.

But away from the headline stuff, day to day work has to continue in the EU’s earthly paradise, and right now there is a fair bit of head scratching at the Central Bank. There has been another quarter of negative inflation. This despite Mario Draghi’s attempt at quantitative easing, and his assurances that everything will be all right.

Italy has a debt:GDP ratio of 133 percent. Traditionally it inflated the debt away, the old Lira devalued and there were spurts of growth.

Not so now. No growth, pretty well, since the recession; no chance of devaluation, and all the debt having to be repaid while the means to repay it deflates away.

The same goes for other indebted countries, the usual olive belt suspects and, increasingly, France. They point out that the ECB’s mandate is to keep inflation at or near 2 percent, and that the Germans are stopping Mr Draghi from doing it.

But the next European crisis, if it occurs (let’s be generous), will most likely be with the banks. Wolfgang Schaeuble (it’s those Germans again) has repeatedly criticised Italian banks for their lack of stability, and there is much to criticise.

Total bad loans are over €300 billion, of which some €80 billion are sofferenze, loans to bankrupt companies from which nothing can be recovered, but which have not yet been written off.

Italy set up a €5 billion fund to rescue failing banks, which got up as far as €4.25 billion and then spent a billion underwriting the capital raising of a minor lender. The discrepancy between the big numbers and the small ones is not difficult to spot. Even leveraging the fund isn’t going to get it anywhere near what is required if there is a bank run.

Could there be a bank run? Well, shares in Italian banks fell 40 percent earlier this year. The markets are edgy.

There is a crisis brewing in the Eurozone and it would be interesting to hear the Remain camp’s views. Don’t, please, give us the one about this being a Eurozone problem.

One of the parties to the next euro rescue will be the European Commission, and if Britain is still a member of the EU when the music stops it will have to contribute billions.

Would you join a club with these problems? So why stay in one?
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/6329/uk_risks_billions_in_eu_as_new_eurozone_crisis_looms

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
What happens if you get a job on the EU for more than 90 days? Does it not put a restriction (or increase the paperwork) on where we can work?

all this question does chap is tell me you dont know who or what the 90 day visa free access is designed for

Hardly a convincing argument to vote remain.

VOTE FOR THE EU, IT'S TERRIBLE!

Bizarre isnt it
They agree with Varoufakis letter that the EU is undemocratic, behaves abominably, is increasingly dangerous and nastier, bureaucratically opaque,contemptuous of democratic parliaments, and unsovereign

and think its a good club to be a part of.

I summed the whole thing up to a mate yesterday on how I feel..
" imagine standing next to two pools that are both shark infested and someone saying, "yeah but you have to choose one" We're f***ed either way people!

a sensible bloke would say i dont think i will go swimming,lets do something else today

So no, I don't expect them to predict what agreements will be in place, but I would like them to say what they want to go for. It's called having a strategy

Out of interest what is the strategy for staying in and reforming the broken EU
What are these reforms? Does anyone know?
Are they even achievable?
why wont the remain camp produce a list of these reforms that are supposedly worthwhile voting to stay in for.

or is the truth there isnt really a plan after all?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
all this question does chap is tell me you dont know who or what the 90 day visa free access is designed for

Bizarre isnt it
They agree with Varoufakis letter that the EU is undemocratic, behaves abominably, is increasingly dangerous and nastier, bureaucratically opaque,contemptuous of democratic parliaments, and unsovereign

and think its a good club to be a part of.

a sensible bloke would say i dont think i will go swimming,lets do something else today

Out of interest what is the strategy for staying in and reforming the broken EU
What are these reforms? Does anyone know?
Are they even achievable?
why wont the remain camp produce a list of these reforms that are supposedly worthwhile voting to stay in for.

or is the truth there isnt really a plan after all?
I'll be too busy getting smashed at Glastonbury to give a f***

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whichever group of tories wins this is going to have a massively difficult job persuading the ~48% that didn't agree with them that we are not heading for disaster.

Or vice versa.

My comment covers both results, so vice versa is already in play.

They'll have an almighty job with ~48% expecting the worst for the future.

People who weren't bothered before this referendum could now be 'radicalised' one way or the other.

It'll be a mess whatever the result is in my opinion.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
My comment covers both results, so vice versa is already in play.

They'll have an almighty job with ~48% expecting the worst for the future.

People who weren't bothered before this referendum could now be 'radicalised' one way or the other.

It'll be a mess whatever the result is in my opinion.
That was a similar comment I made with a colleague today.
Which either way it goes there is going to be a large percentage of the country disappointed.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
"Europe is losing ground to the rest of the world, and the people who pay the price are our citizens.

One fifth of young people in the European Union cannot get a job.

US companies can get new products licensed and to market within days, yet it can take weeks or months in Europe.

And a decade ago the Commission estimated a total administrative burden to EU businesses of €125 billion a year. "
- George Osborne November 2015

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Anyone would think corruption doesn't happen over here..

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Nearly everyone I know has voted already, with the advent of postal voting becoming very normal.

How many people on here have already voted like me.

I find it odd that most the debates are after the postal votes are sent.

3-1 out in our household by post,youngest says she wants to stay in and with that i have no complaints.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here