Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Good piece on Osbournes Mortgage price claims here.

here. - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3626663/DOMINIC-LAWSON-Spare-views-petulant-Dalek-plunged-Black-Wednesday.html

In it, he picks up that Osborne has told us house prices will fall. And he has now told us mortgages would rise.

Why do people continue to believe their rubbish?

I don't know why I bother reading that sort of stuff, but it's pretty clear that BOTH can happen. House prices probably would fall, and interest rates probably would increase. The vast, vast majority of the UK population are home-owners. So we would be stung twice over - the value of our homes would go down, and we'd have to pay more for our mortgage. It's pretty basic really, However, if Daily Mail readers want to think differently, that's their look out!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The Labour leader and most of the party are for Remain. Inconvenient truth i know but still
Then why have they been so invisible in this campaign? They don't like the EU any more than the average man in the street. That's the truth of it.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Then why have they been so invisible in this campaign? They don't like the EU any more than the average man in the street. That's the truth of it.

Sent from the boot of Lingard

To be fair they have been very active, but the media is just obsessed with the Tory fighting self destruction and Labour have been keen not to be seen on a platform with any Tories. Especially how after the last European referendum it took about 10 years to get the party to unify again.

The majority of Labour want In but with a mandate to change the EU from within.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No. I just don't waste my time looking at anything from The Express.

Did you die during the multiple tsunamis and super-storms that ravaged our country last winter?

Are you in the same ward as Greg?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
To be fair they have been very active, but the media is just obsessed with the Tory fighting self destruction and Labour have been keen not to be seen on a platform with any Tories. Especially how after the last European referendum it took about 10 years to get the party to unify again.

Now that really is cloud cuckoo land!

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Just like the F.A did at FIFA. :facepalm:

larus

It's a bit different now, though - a post-Brexit UK would not be a happy place. And the EU would want to give the rest of the UK (i.e., effectively England) a lesson. The Scots are by far the most Europhile part of the UK, and virtually all their MPs support the Remain campaign. Of course none of us can say for certain what would happen, but another Scottish Independence Referendum is almost guaranteed - and there would be far fewer voices with any credibility arguing No.

The referendum can only take place with the consent of the UK government.

Also, as has been pointed out clearly on here, with the current state of the North Sea Oil industry (i.e. on it's knees), the revenue from this would be very low and the economic argument for coming out (which was suspect before) is now non-existent. In my opinion, there's no way the SNP would choose to have one until the oil proice gets to at least $100/barrel.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Their are more Labour Remain In posters than Green ones on my walk to Preston Park and back this morning - which is going some around here in the Green heartland

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
so Major recons the Brexit campaign is squalid.
tell you whats squalid mate is having affairS with Curry and some no mark catering manager
so theres a good reason to ignore that one then
NO,NO,NO.

Speaking generally then, what's your view of Boris?

Ignoring everything he says I suppose.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Brexit negotiations would supposedly take 2+ years.

If Scotland sorted out whether it wanted to leave the UK within that timeframe, they would technically not have to leave the EU then reapply to re-join.

We'd have Scotland exit talks from the UK running alongside UK exit talks from the EU, and of course that would create a bit of a headache, but would mean it would be no means certain Scotland would ever actually leave the EU at any point.

on what basis? when the independence referendum was going on it was very clear that there are no "grandfather" rights to EU membership, they couldnt join the EU until they applied, and to do so they'd have to be independent. i'm sure some back channel discussion could start upon a independence vote, but the other issue is whether the EU would want to allow them to fast track, especially with the Spanish and Belgium issues. then there's the Euro issue, they'd have to join that... and with that prospect and the stat of their general economic case, a vote for independence is far from certain.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
on what basis? when the independence referendum was going on it was very clear that there are no "grandfather" rights to EU membership, they couldnt join the EU until they applied, and to do so they'd have to be independent. i'm sure some back channel discussion could start upon a independence vote, but the other issue is whether the EU would want to allow them to fast track, especially with the Spanish and Belgium issues. then there's the Euro issue, they'd have to join that... and with that prospect and the stat of their general economic case, a vote for independence is far from certain.
I can't be bothered to argue to be honest.

On your last sentence, though, there are an awful lot of pro Brexit posters who SEEM very certain that Scotland would not vote for independence, but I turn your last line around and say a vote AGAINST independence is far from certain.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Been a lot of mentions of 4,300 on here,but not too many of 167,000,000,even though it is many thousands of times larger.

£167,000,000 seems an awfully large number to be avoided or ignored by all the number fetishists on here.

Maybe it's because £167,000,000 is the amount the EU admits to losing to fraud in 2015.

Don't the Remainers on here think that £167,000,000 is a large enough amount for them to attempt a justification of its disappearance?

Or pass the blame for this £167,000,000 on to the Outers!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I hope Sturgeon and Salmond etc do try for independence-they've been a drain on the English economy far too long!

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
On your last sentence, though, there are an awful lot of pro Brexit posters who SEEM very certain that Scotland would not vote for independence, but I turn your last line around and say a vote AGAINST independence is far from certain.

vote only two years ago was 55.3% to 44.7%. the oil price has tanked since, making their shoddy economic case even weaker. apart from that, no reason for them to vote to stay i suppose.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Speaking generally then, what's your view of Boris?

Ignoring everything he says I suppose.

they are all "at it" either shafting the tax payer with their expences or cannot keep their pants zipped up and Major likes to rub it in by telling everyone what to do

D

Deleted member 22389

I hope Sturgeon and Salmond etc do try for independence-they've been a drain on the English economy far too long!

Find their argument very hypocritical. They want independence, but yet they don't want give us ours.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
they are all "at it" either shafting the tax payer with their expences or cannot keep their pants zipped up and Major likes to rub it in by telling everyone what to do

As indeed does Boris of course, although rather more often than John Major.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
What are you trying to show with that graph? What is the UK's trend over the same period? Would that also be due to the emergence of other countries like China over that same period?

i think thats entirely the point, that the rest of the world is growing richer, so the proportion that is in the EU has diminished. therefore the significance of having favorable access to this trading bloc is less significant that it might have been in the 1970s, and that trade with the rest of the world has increased in importance since is now makes up over 80% of global GDP. unless there is significant changes to growth in China, India, SE Asia, South America and Africa, that trend line is going to continue downwards.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Cameron has criticised Michael Gove for dismissing the views of experts. In an interview with Jeremy Vine on Radio 2, Cameron said:

"People saying, as some of the Leave campaign did the other day, “I’m fed up of hearing from experts” - Would you build a bridge without listening to expert engineers or architects?"

Good point DC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here