Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Obviously it's early days yet and Corbyn's approach might run into headwinds but it seems to tick some pretty good boxes:

1. In a very rough and ready way it does reflect a 48/52 referendum vote; it's quite possibly the least divisive position available as..................

2. We will no longer be members of the EU. No MEPS, no seat on the European Council and never to be subsumed in the 'nightmare' of a European Super State (which Idon't think was ever a realistic issue but many do)

3. It's the only way around the Northern Ireland border issue

4. Reductions to contributions to the EU will now be 'on the table' if not yet a given

5. It will appeal to our partners within the EU more that the May alternative i.e. they might take this rather more seriously than the Bojo-type nonsense we've inflicted on them

6. It will safeguard jobs (especially in the Labour heartlands) that are dependent on EU trade - although our services sector will not emerge unscathed

7. It will provide a platform for controlling immigration as we will no longer be in the single market

8. It will facilitate continuing (and future) trade deals made by the EU with 3rd party countries

9. It will allow us the freedom to develop our own policies on agriculture, fisheries, animal welfare and just about anything else

10. It will build consensus across the political divide within parliament - and with (possibly) Scotland, wales and N.Ireland

It won't allow us to look for new tariff free trade outside the EU but there is absolutely no evidence that this was ever going to happen

Of course all the points I make can be contended, but when you look at the potentially catastrophic alternative developing under May, I know which of the 2 I'd prefer. So we await May's speech on Friday................

-

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
really , so people just turned up AT THE BALLOT BOX WITH NO REASON FOR CASTING THEIR VOTE :facepalm:
regards
DR

No, that’s not what I’ve said, we voted yes or no to leave, at no time was it ever clear what type of agreement we would get when we left, and, we couldn’t vote on what type of deal anyone preferred. Ergo, a crap referendum.

Jan 30, 2008
No, that’s not what I’ve said, we voted yes or no to leave, at no time was it ever clear what type of agreement we would get when we left, and, we couldn’t vote on what type of deal anyone preferred. Ergo, a crap referendum.
out is out =NO SINGLE MARKET, NO FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT , THAT'S NOT DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND :facepalm:
regards
DR

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Obviously it's early days yet and Corbyn's approach might run into headwinds but it seems to tick some pretty good boxes:

it fails that tricky box of EU agreement though doesn't it? so we are told, that we cant chose this and that from the current arrangement. what you've presented is also one of the worse outcomes for Brexit, leaving the benefits of free movement behind, and not gaining ability to negotiate trade. wouldnt a simple free trade deal be better idea?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
it fails that tricky box of EU agreement though doesn't it? so we are told, that we cant chose this and that from the current arrangement. what you've presented is also one of the worse outcomes for Brexit, leaving the benefits of free movement behind, and not gaining ability to negotiate trade. wouldnt a simple free trade deal be better idea?

I can see your point, but (I think) the EU would see this as unacceptable. We'd then have the 'freedom' to accept imports from 3rd party countries with no common external tariff, so in effect be seen to be diverting our trade with the EU to their competitors. If we maintain the Common External Tarff of a customs union the we wouldn't be able to ' get away' with that. (I'm not totally confident that e would get away with the one-foot-in-one-foot-out arrangement that Corbyn suggests - but I think it's the least worst alternative.)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
General election 2017: Brexit dominated voters' thought

It's a single Brexiteer on here that links the GE vote to the Brexit vote. It's a ridiculous connection - for starters I voted leave but then voted for Peter Kyle which immediately shows what a daft connection it is !!!

Your maths seems to be somewhat out as well - in those three seats Labour's vote went up 13.5k not the 23k you claim ( well based on the figures you've posted anyway ).

No link or connection ?!!

...what was really behind the decisions made by the UK's voters?

For the past three years the British Election Study has followed a panel of the same 30,000 voters - asking them hundreds of questions about their political views and choices on 13 occasions.

It offers the most detailed look at the issues which most concerned the electorate - and the results are now in.

It really was about Brexit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40630242

Whenever MoS or Lincoln Imp are telling you what my argument is/was always assume it's not true/being misrepresented ... saves a lot of time.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No link or connection ?!!

...what was really behind the decisions made by the UK's voters?

For the past three years the British Election Study has followed a panel of the same 30,000 voters - asking them hundreds of questions about their political views and choices on 13 occasions.

It offers the most detailed look at the issues which most concerned the electorate - and the results are now in.

It really was about Brexit

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40630242

Whenever MoS or Lincoln Imp are telling you what my argument is/was always assume it's not true/being misrepresented ... saves a lot of time.

What isn't true/being misrepresented by us stating your repeated argument that 80% of the electorate at the general election last year voted for pro-Brexit parties?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What isn't true/being misrepresented by us stating your repeated argument that 80% of the electorate at the general election last year voted for pro-Brexit parties?

80%+ of the electorate at the general election last year voted for pro-Brexit parties is a simple statement of fact whereas I have never said they all voted because of Brexit or 'Eighty percent of voters apparently signalled their support for Brexit at the last election.' I have said people vote for numerous reasons but a major issue at the last GE was Brexit.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They don't like brown people, think it's funny if pigs heads are nailed to Muslims' doors, get shocked if they see a Muslim driving a bus....That sort of way.

Surely that's the Italian elections you are thinking of?Can't be the referendum vote, cos most bus drivers are moslem anyway over here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here