[Politics] Brexit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
RIP this Britain: With academic objectivity, Oxford Professor and population expert DAVID COLEMAN says white Britons could be in the minority by the 2060s - or sooner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oner-current-immigration-trends-continue.html

'If immigration is not substantially reduced, the country will be transformed out of recognition by the consequences of a very large population increase: schools, housing, environment, the make-up of the people of Britain, all will change in ways in which no one has been consulted and few want.
The coming referendum will not of itself resolve the issue. But it might offer the beginning of the end of an otherwise inexorable change'

Meanwhile, all Leave campaigners would like to assure everyone that Project Fear is solely in the hands of Remainers.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Meanwhile, I have one or two friends who support Brexit and I respect their positions, as they respect mine. And you've spelt slimy wrongly.

**** off you pompous prick.Is that the best you can do pick on a spelling mistake.I don't respect your position and I couldn't give a flying **** if you don't support mine now **** off.

P.S It's bad grammar to start off a sentence with 'And'.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
For us Leave voters we couldn't give a --------. Remain voters want to sell out Britain.They are willing to trash the UK so long as their greedy slimey little palms have more money to grab hold of.For us on the Leave side we are more principled than that.

couldn't have summed it up better myself, it's about principles with me too, most other things go out the window.:wink:

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
Vote Brexit if you want to try and address the immigration question (and I say try because it won't be easy). OR vote Bremain if you accept unlimited immigration and prefer chasing GDP growth.

Increase GDP for what reason.So that we can pay for more hospitals,schools,houses,more police,doctors etc to cope with migrants.So in essence to get back to square one.Doesn't make much sense to me.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Increase GDP for what reason.So that we can pay for more hospitals,schools,houses,more police,doctors etc to cope with migrants.So in essence to get back to square one.Doesn't make much sense to me.
I'm not defending it but recognising some people will vote for economic growth irrespective of immigration, housing crisis, oversubscribed schools etc etc. In essence that is the Bremain position.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I'm not defending it but recognising some people will vote for economic growth irrespective of immigration, housing crisis, oversubscribed schools etc etc. In essence that is the Bremain position.

Unfortunately you are correct. Short term gain with no thought for this countries future.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Get on the Google machine. If it's available you'll find it. Although as already has been pointed out a 15 year prediction is a bit ambitious/absurd and would include numerous caveats as so much can change in this amount of time.

well yes I had to give this option a go and no these long term forecasts don’t appear to be available. The OBR does a 5 year one but it appears 15 year ones are considered absurd.No wonder 5ways wasnt keen on addressing this

Here is another herring.

Isn't a forecast for 2030 absurd, since economic forecasts for even two years ahead fail?

you had me at absurd,but herring is a good description also

It is a forecast that makes numerous convenient assumptions like there are no economic costs associated with EU membership (regulations?) and that we wouldn't strike any trade deals with other countries in 15 years ... HT is right, absurd.

in fairness to the word absurd I also found these forecasts to be labelled as
" unrealistically negative" as well as obviously absurd

I think the Remain In will win quite comfortably.

considering you are usually wrong about everything I like your prediction

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Economists overwhelmingly reject Brexit in boost for Cameron

Much like economists overwhelmingly supporting our entry into the ERM (disastrous) or saying government policy in the early 80's was wrong (opposite was true) or many that said we should join the Euro ....

This latest opinion from the wet finger in the wind crowd is a wringing endorsement for economic prosperity post Brexit :D

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Yes, we've had the economic argument for long enough, thank you. It's a sad, tired argument and it's all the remainers have got. And it's not good enough!

The economic argument scare stories are a smokescreen, the real debate the real question here and a bigger question all together is

"Do we want to be a self governing democratic nation that determines her own destiny and runs her own house or not?"
Question supplied by a Mr N Farage Question Time - ages ago

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
The economic argument scare stories are a smokescreen, the real debate the real question here and a bigger question all together is

"Do we want to be a self governing democratic nation that determines her own destiny and runs her own house or not?"
Question supplied by a Mr N Farage Question Time - ages ago

A nation running her own house :facepalm:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Much like economists overwhelmingly supporting our entry into the ERM (disastrous) or saying government policy in the early 80's was wrong (opposite was true) or many that said we should join the Euro ....

This latest opinion from the wet finger in the wind crowd is a wringing endorsement for economic prosperity post Brexit :D

Come now. Are all of these economists wrong? Strip away everything else if 88% of doctors told you to stop eating oranges because it will have a long-term negative impact on your health would you stop eating them? If 88% of mechanics told you that your tires need changing, would you change your tires? If 88% of balloonists told you that that '£' shaped hot-air balloon was unfit to ride would you still make that trip? If 88% of economists told you that that Brexit wil do long-term damage to the UK economy would you still vote to leave?

You can't avoid the point by saying that economists have been wrong before, that's a very weak response. Did all of these econs support entry into the ERM? 9/10 of them? Really?

I'm being honest when I say that if I was for Brexit I would, as a thinking and rational person, look at this and question my motivations.

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
If you're right it's only because we're all slimy *******s with no balls.

I dare say that is the blatant truth.
too many turncoats have destroyed this country they keep making crank pot assumptions about how wonderful the EU is and forgetting the important fact that it is gradually step by step stripping away this countries identity. those very same turncoats would rather fight side by side with an immigrant/ migrant or whoever.. than fight along side their very own.

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
There are over 200 countries on this planet and around180 ish run their own affairs.Not sure why some on the remain side think it odd the leave side want the UK to do the same.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Come now. Are all of these economists wrong? Strip away everything else if 88% of doctors told you to stop eating oranges because it will have a long-term negative impact on your health would you stop eating them?

i wouldnt if the doctors received funding from the apple industry

Maldini

Banned
Aug 19, 2015
You can't avoid the point by saying that economists have been wrong before, that's a very weak response. Did all of these econs support entry into the ERM? 9/10 of them? Really?

Did Osborne get it wrong regards how much money he had stuffed under his mattress?Yes.You could pretty much list a whole bunch of incorrect forecasts from our goverment,Bank of England,IMF etc.It's all guesswork.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Come now. Are all of these economists wrong? Strip away everything else if 88% of doctors told you to stop eating oranges because it will have a long-term negative impact on your health would you stop eating them? If 88% of mechanics told you that your tires need changing, would you change your tires? If 88% of balloonists told you that that '£' shaped hot-air balloon was unfit to ride would you still make that trip? If 88% of economists told you that that Brexit wil do long-term damage to the UK economy would you still vote to leave?

I'm being honest when I say that if I was for Brexit I would, as a thinking and rational person, look at this and question my motivations.

Sir you do a great disservice to the medical profession a better comparison would be faith healers ... a great disservice to mechanics who provide a useful verifiable service to the public .... balloonists (wtf?).

If 100% of economists said there may possibly be some economic cost to Brexit I would judge them on their track record and not swallow their guesswork just because it suited my argument.

Economist consensus has been proved wrong on numerous occasions, can you guarantee they are not wrong this time?

I can honestly say if I really cared about my countries future I wouldn't be relying on economists to justify my position.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne

I posted this earlier but in the survey you quote 17 per cent of economists polled actually responded. Seventeen %.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports