Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
So if, for example, a leading industrialist who had campaigned for Remain now announced that the Remain argument was based on lies, and he now felt Brexit was a fine opportunity for the country, you would refuse to listen to him on the basis that he was a turncoat?

I'm not saying that such a person is ever likely to exist, but I would like to test the consistency of your views.
As you are so certain that no such person is ever likely to exist, your question is hypothetical. Any answer I gave would therefore be hypothetical too, so there's no point in wasting my time or yours.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
An opinion poll is not a democratic process,i am absolutely 100% certain no opinion poll will reverse Brexit before the 2019 deadline, or even after the deadline for that matter.
The Opinion Poll Act would however be a lot of fun to watch being debated in the House, with amendments for clicks, likes and thumbs up given special consideration.

The referendum was an opinion poll, the result had no legal standing in its own right. I think we will see another one before we reach the door.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Once we have settled any financial commitments or obligations any future deal will not include large contributions to the EU according to HMG. I am inclined to think they are correct as it would be electoral suicide for any government to sign up to that type of deal. 'Rest of us' meaning people that agree with your specific definitions of Hard, Soft, Real Brexit. No one knows what the final deal will look like or if there will even be one. But I would expect any deal to include some small contributions for joint ventures we wish to continue/join.

But you all said you knew what you were voting for?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Really looking forward to the response to this. This will be some special pleading. "But they lied too" but people don't understand the difference between predictions and outright lies. Even my dad has admitted he voted based on lies. First time he has ever admitted he was wrong. I don't expect people to admit this on an Internet forum though because this has not happen in 20 years on the internet so won't start now.

"I didn't vote for the 350 million anyway I voted about the laws"

"What laws?"

"The ones I don't like"

"Name one"

"It is just not right for us to be dictated to"

"Name one"

"That isn't the point"

"It kind of is"

"Plus our services can't cope with all the immigrants, the NHS is crumbling"

"Immigrants make up a large proportion of NHS staff"

"That's not the point"

"It is though isn't it"

And on it goes. What a time to be alive.
I think we will be able to buy milk in two pint bottles instead of 1.136 L bottles again ...once we have spent £100m or so disposing of the metric bottles in the system and sourcing a cost effective European manufacturer of plastic bottles.....so it will all be worth it!
Really looking forward to the response to this. This will be some special pleading. "But they lied too" but people don't understand the difference between predictions and outright lies. Even my dad has admitted he voted based on lies. First time he has ever admitted he was wrong. I don't expect people to admit this on an Internet forum though because this has not happen in 20 years on the internet so won't start now.

"I didn't vote for the 350 million anyway I voted about the laws"

"What laws?"

"The ones I don't like"

"Name one"

"It is just not right for us to be dictated to"

"Name one"

"That isn't the point"

"It kind of is"

"Plus our services can't cope with all the immigrants, the NHS is crumbling"

"Immigrants make up a large proportion of NHS staff"

"That's not the point"

"It is though isn't it"

And on it goes. What a time to be alive.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside when are the talks resuming/starting? 3 months since A50 and **** all has been negotiated and gained by May and co. Have I missed anything?

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
As an aside when are the talks resuming/starting? 3 months since A50 and **** all has been negotiated and gained by May and co. Have I missed anything?

Last thing I remember is that Davis wanted to begin trade negotiations in tandem with the EU/UK citizens status/rights debate and the EU told him to get bent. Has there been anything since then?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Last thing I remember is that Davis wanted to begin trade negotiations in tandem with the EU/UK citizens status/rights debate and the EU told him to get bent. Has there been anything since then?

There will be 1 weeks talks and then 3 weeks off to report back, which repeats going forward.

Davis has already briefed ( through a crony ) about the Bloody Difficult Woman's red lines that tie his hands in negotiations.

Plenty of arguing yet to come.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

So far we've caved in on our first big demand (trade talks in tandem), and put forward a proposal on citizens' rights which is so woeful it's a joke. We even challenged the EU to match our offer, without realising they had already put forward a far more generous proposal several months earlier. We are a laughing stock.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So far we've caved in on our first big demand (trade talks in tandem), and put forward a proposal on citizens' rights which is so woeful it's a joke. We even challenged the EU to match our offer, without realising they had already put forward a far more generous proposal several months earlier. We are a laughing stock.

You make a very valid point there. That was embarrassing.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I think we will be able to buy milk in two pint bottles instead of 1.136 L bottles again ...once we have spent £100m or so disposing of the metric bottles in the system and sourcing a cost effective European manufacturer of plastic bottles.....so it will all be worth it!

Quite. although thise who do complain about the size of milk bottles overlook the fact that although we do buy milk labelled in litres it is also labelled in pints. A quick check in my fridge shows a label saying 2.272 litres 4 pints. People are actually offended by the fact litres has to be on there. It is nuts.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
As you are so certain that no such person is ever likely to exist, your question is hypothetical. Any answer I gave would therefore be hypothetical too, so there's no point in wasting my time or yours.

...but of course the issue of a leading Brexiteer - director of Vote Leave no less - saying that the £350m claim was a referendum-winning lie and that Brexit itself is a dumb notion that will end in debacle is most definitely not hypothetical and that, surely, is why you avoid the question.

Nice swerve though.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Quite. although thise who do complain about the size of milk bottles overlook the fact that although we do buy milk labelled in litres it is also labelled in pints. A quick check in my fridge shows a label saying 2.272 litres 4 pints. People are actually offended by the fact litres has to be on there. It is nuts.

On a related topic I see that the Express actually managed to get fahrenheit on to a front page lead headline this week. They probably think it's more British. Solid English name, Fahrenheit.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Those at Deutsche Bank will need to commute to Frankfurt though.....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...on-frankfurt-uk-leave-eu-switch-a7826361.html

"Brexit: Deutsche Bank said to be switching from London to Frankfurt"

https://www.ft.com/content/3bb328e8-61a1-11e7-91a7-502f7ee26895

"Deutsche Bank boosts German base to cope with chaotic Brexit"

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
On a related topic I see that the Express actually managed to get fahrenheit on to a front page lead headline this week. They probably think it's more British. Solid English name, Fahrenheit.

Just need an article on petrol prices talking about gallons now. We love a French word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here