Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford sack Warburton!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He would have stayed if we'd back him, I'm sure of it. He wanted more money for the playing squad. Instead of being trusted to bring in his own men - a system that so far had faired well for us (promotion/play offs) we bought in Burke & Barber. Don't bring in those two lemons and let the manager build the team. That's what we should have done. Too late now of course, it may be a very long time before we're back challenging at the top of the Championship.

Wasn't your money that would have backed him up though was it. The amount of people that bleat on about prices at the Amex and then moan about the playing budget beggars belief.

You're a roll of the dice away from making the Premiership.

Do you:
A) Give the currently hugely popular and successful manager backing to bring in a face or two he believes will see us over the line.
B) Spend the money on Burke and Barber, the former taking away the managers ability to sign the players he wants, and the later whom already has a prickly relationship with the manager,

I'm not surprised Poyet was ****ed off.

Huge fan of Tony Bloom and everything he's done for the club, but he shouldn't be beyond criticism and fair debate. I believe we/he got it wrong over Gus.

Exactly how many rolls of the dice were Nottingham Forest away from being in the Prem? They listened to Davies when ever he bleated on about investing to get promotion and look at them now.

If Poyet had stayed and we'd not turned to Burke and his Excel spreadsheets to find players, then we'd not be staring League One in the face right now. In fact there's a very decent chance I think he'd have got us up the following season after the Palace debacle. Bloom chose another way though, as was his right, and we are all reaping the result of that now.

I think a lot of people let their own personal feelings about Poyet cloud the facts about what a bloody good manager he was, and is. Yes, he's an abrasive, egotistical gobshite who loves the sound of his own voice. But he has the character, reputation and charisma to attract the right kind of players to the club and mould them into a team with a defined way of playing, where everybody understood their job.

I don't have to LIKE the bloke in the dugout, all I care is whether he's good at his job. And the results that Poyet achieved here proved beyond doubt he was a damn good manager, and since he was jettisoned, we have declined massively. Happy enough with CH, but if in some parallel universe Poyet was willing and available, I'd have him back tomorrow.

Poyet was a good manager but then he was always working with highest budget in Albion's history. I still can't believe there are people who think a manager should have a blank cheque book and free reign over all transfers!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the start of Poyet believing we'd hit the ceiling was with Virgil V D. He wanted him desperately and went over to Holland to see him play. When he was told that he could only spend £2M and the required fee was 5M Euros I'm sure that kicked it off. In Poyet's view that was the player we needed to get us promoted and the club didn't back him. From that point on he was always leaving us.

Maybe we would have got promotion, maybe not, but the point was that the club didn't back the manager's judgement.

It is essential that the Chairman trusts the manager 100% to do these deals, but I think with Gus not recognising Murray's quality and letting him go cost us money and Blooms faith in him. We also ended up giving away two good CB's and brought in an end of his career Upson. I'm not saying that Upson was bad for us, but it was just a short term fix when we look at the service Cook and Elphick are giving Bournemouth. Gus always had the grass is greener mentality.

Bloom couldn't trust Gus, he should have trusted Garcia (with Grabban), and he now has to trust Hughton.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Poyet was a good manager but then he was always working with highest budget in Albion's history. I still can't believe there are people who think a manager should have a blank cheque book and free reign over all transfers!

In OUR history maybe, as you'd expect being as our turnover went up about fourfold overnight. But it was a long way from being the biggets budget in the division. I'm not saying it wasn't generous by our own standards, but we were hardly splashing ridiculous sums on players compared with what an awful lot of other clubs have thrown around in this league. Overall he used the money well and got us to within an ace of our objective. And no, that doesn't mean he could or should have had a blank chequebook either, thats another extreme end of the argument. He clearly wanted further investment that wasn't forthcoming, but who's to say he weas making ridiculous demands ? Barber was one thing, but the arrival of Burke and the new structure brought in above him is ultimately what soured it. And as a method of recruitment, he's been proved absolutely right in every way, its been a shambles.

I think the amount of bitterness and personal rancour aimed at Poyet on here when none of us really know exactly what happened in the end is ridiculous. Yes, like everyone else I was thoroughly macked off with him in THAT post-match interview about the ceiling being reached. He was in effect already gone by then. But he left behind him the spine of a hell of a good squad that somehow scraped into 6th the following season as well. Now its been totally dismantled and look where we are.

Poyet was absolutely brilliant for this club. Another season and I believe he'd have got us up.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Wasn't your money that would have backed him up though was it.

You are not, and have never been, a professional footballer. Does that mean you can't have a valid opinion on a players performance?

Could you point me to the bit where I said the manager should have a blank cheque book, please? In fact I'm sure I said we're not talking Abramovich money, and gave Barnes as an example. As for the last point, I believe a manger should pick and build his own team, not have it dictated to him by some goon with a souped-up copy of Football manager.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
If Poyet had stayed and we'd not turned to Burke and his Excel spreadsheets to find players, then we'd not be staring League One in the face right now. In fact there's a very decent chance I think he'd have got us up the following season after the Palace debacle. Bloom chose another way though, as was his right, and we are all reaping the result of that now.

I think a lot of people let their own personal feelings about Poyet cloud the facts about what a bloody good manager he was, and is. Yes, he's an abrasive, egotistical gobshite who loves the sound of his own voice. But he has the character, reputation and charisma to attract the right kind of players to the club and mould them into a team with a defined way of playing, where everybody understood their job.

I don't have to LIKE the bloke in the dugout, all I care is whether he's good at his job. And the results that Poyet achieved here proved beyond doubt he was a damn good manager, and since he was jettisoned, we have declined massively. Happy enough with CH, but if in some parallel universe Poyet was willing and available, I'd have him back tomorrow.

Beautifully put, my sentiments exactly.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This thread was about Brentford + Warburton - we are going to be talking about Gus for a long time to come for sure
Poyet, Murray, Barnes.

NSC will never move on, even though there's an entire planet of football out there.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
Wasn't your money that would have backed him up though was it. The amount of people that bleat on about prices at the Amex and then moan about the playing budget beggars belief.

Exactly how many rolls of the dice were Nottingham Forest away from being in the Prem? They listened to Davies when ever he bleated on about investing to get promotion and look at them now.

Worked well at Pompey

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Poyet was absolutely brilliant for this club.

He was a terrific manager in all sorts of ways and incredibly frustrating too. The #1 bugbear suprisingly not mentioned on here is not his flirting with Leeds United or anyone else, Glenn Murray, or his frequent tantrums and resignation threats but the fact that with the most expensive Albion squad in history and a team he'd put together over 2 or 3 years himself (not Burke or Barber or Bloom) he was outwitted by Ian Holloway of all people when we were 45 minutes away from Wembley.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
He was a terrific manager in all sorts of ways and incredibly frustrating too. The #1 bugbear suprisingly not mentioned on here is not his flirting with Leeds United or anyone else, Glenn Murray, or his frequent tantrums and resignation threats but the fact that with the most expensive Albion squad in history and a team he'd put together over 2 or 3 years himself (not Burke or Barber or Bloom) he was outwitted by Ian Holloway of all people when we were 45 minutes away from Wembley.

Well, by saying that, you're boiling his entire reign down to the final 45 minutes of that season, during which we hit the woodwork and had one cleared off the line, before the hammer-blow of them taking the lead. (You could say THAT was our major flaw under Gus - our complete inabilty to turn a game round after falling behind). Thats not an excuse or a hard-luck story, its just the way the game went. It was a playoff, a cup-tie, and as everyone knows, anyone can beat anyone on any given day and that game could EASILY have gone our way on the night. I wouldn't say Wurzel "outwitted" Poyet on the night. He set them up properly for the smash and grab, and credit to them they did it. They rode their luck and reaped the rewards.

Das fubull, as Gus would say.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Whose money? Where was that supposed to come from? Simply throwing money at a manager who demands it is straight out of the the Harry Redknapp School of Management. I realise a lot of people assume Tony Bloom has bottomless pockets, but really, should he be expected to throw more and more of his fortune at this club? He's never claimed to be Roman Abramovich, or the Abu Dhabi ruling family. He wants the club to be a bit more self-sustaining, and fair enough.

That's far too reasonable for NSC:)

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
Wasn't there widespread outrage when Southampton kicked out Adkins and replaced him with Pochettino?

Nigel Adkins, the manager who guided Southampton to back-to-back promotions, who has not suffered defeat in five Premier League games and who masterminded a draw at the home of the European champions three days ago, was sacked on Friday and replaced.

Pochettino must convince fans enraged by Cortese’s defenestration of Adkins. Some supporters have indicated they will boycott Monday’s Premier League home game against Everton, although the likelihood is that they will turn up and express their anger at Cortese.

from: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-Mauricio-Pochettino-steps-in-as-manager.html

It didn't turn out that bad in the end, did it?

Massive difference though Bozza. They were nt going to the next stage of peek
Football and Adkins fell out with the chairman.

Warburton enjoys a relationship with his chairman so this comes as a surprising shock and they're half way to getting play-offs at least!

Plus I enjoyed Adkins suffering and then Pochettino doing well! Hate that arrogant over achieving physiotherapist!

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here