Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brentford sack Warburton!!

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Yet, he's told us two years running, that the playing budget is as high as it's ever been. It's obviously been wasted, but the money has been forthcoming.

As for Gus having itchy feet, two clubs in just over five years is quite stable.
Gus is lucky the Prem has a lot of relegation candidates, particularly the 3 who came up last season. Could be a regular feature in the next few years looking at the prospective promotion candidates in the 2nd division. [the correct name for the Championship]

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This has gotta be a load of billy bollocks. It's not 1st April is it???

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
Thats shocking, one thing I will say , if that happens they will fall by their own sword.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Just as getting promoted and to the play off, was down to the GAMBLE of appointing Gus.

Gamble backed up with great backing in the transfer market too, something the next two managers didn't get. Be interesting to see if Hughton gets the backing in the summer if we are still in the Championship,

I don't care what anyone says Bloom HAS taken his eye off the ball on the pitch since Poyet left. It could be for a multitude of reasons but you'd have to be totally blinkered not to be very disappointed with the way things have gone on the pitch since that shit day a couple of years ago

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
They would do so at their peril. The championship is expensive due to riches available in the premiership. Fine perhaps if the team is doing well but for one that struggles, it is very costly to put right. We are now finding that.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Glad we didn't! Have some pride, do you really want a manager who had been whoring himself around the prem. And only staying for the dosh? For me loyalty always comes first....Poyet has none.

I suppose you'd be much happier with Hyppia then?

Get real. It's results on the pitch that are important. The rest are all 'nice to haves',

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
If this turns out to be true (and I hope it isn't), then Brentford will have potentially lost a lot of money in compo which they would have received if and when Warburton was poached by another club. I did wonder how they were going to pursue their ideal of getting to the Premiership if they got promoted this season, given that they would have to find a new ground for next season and probably until their new ground near Chiswick Bridge is opened, not sure that has even started yet.

It could be built quicker than the AMEX as it is on flat ground which needs clearing but no landscaping I believe. So can't see them there until 2017/8 at the earliest.

Isuppose even on season in the Prem is attractive though but look what's happened to a number of clubs who got that far, Bradford etc. Wigan seemed settled at a high level but they are back heading for the third tier.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Glad we didn't! Have some pride, do you really want a manager who had been whoring himself around the prem. And only staying for the dosh? For me loyalty always comes first....Poyet has none.

When has any manager shown loyalty? Only the fans are loyal.

Think Palace and Pulis...

I'd rather not. Didn't Pulis walk rather than get pushed out?

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I'd rather not. Didn't Pulis walk rather than get pushed out?

I believe he walked when told that he would not have a free hand to sign players he wanted, like Peter Crouch, on extremely high-paid contracts. Palace have always believed in giving their Academy kids the chance to come through the ranks, rather than but big names on short-term contracts.

For all Pulis's achievements, I don't think nurturing young talent was one of them. Be interesting to see what happens at WBA. Pardew having played at Palace in the "Golden Era" knows the score.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The title of this thread is "Brentford Sack Warburton!".

When did they sack him?

James Bond's body double

Nov 1, 2009
Southwick
Pete O'Rourke ‏@SportsPeteO 3m3 minutes ago
Brentford say Mark Warburton remains in charge at Griffin Park but failed to deny reports that he may leave at the end of the season.#bees

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is Bloom's ex business partner looking to trump him on both promotion to the Premier League and how to piss off the manager who got you into the position to do it??

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He would have stayed if we'd back him, I'm sure of it. He wanted more money for the playing squad. Instead of being trusted to bring in his own men - a system that so far had faired well for us (promotion/play offs) we bought in Burke & Barber. Don't bring in those two lemons and let the manager build the team. That's what we should have done. Too late now of course, it may be a very long time before we're back challenging at the top of the Championship.

The average life of a Championship manager is 1.4 seasons. The average. Managers just don't stay at clubs for long, Wenger, Ferguson aside. Gus wouldn't have stayed.

As for the "lemons". Gus didn't exactly rush out the door the minute Burke and Barber arrived if that was the reason for his departure. . Burke started in Jan 2012; a full 18 months before Gus left. Barber arrived in May 2012; a full year before his sacking.

As for more "money" - Albion's player budget was £21m in 2012/13 ; a massive increase from £14m, and 7th or 8th in the league that year only behind clubs with parachute payments & he presided over a period signing players on big wages and the clubs (then) 3 biggest transfer fees of all time.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Going back to the subject of sackings/not sacking, either Chairman/CEOs have got worse at this, or the media have better sources and are jumping the gun. I suspect both Pearson and Warburton will be gone, the latter probably at the end of the season. Both very able coaches, but there does seem to be a belief amongst owners that you need a foreign manager to succeed in the PL. Pearson is doing nothing to dispel that notion.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Very funny, Rich.

Not a moment too soon that that **** was sacked.

If Poyet had stayed and we'd not turned to Burke and his Excel spreadsheets to find players, then we'd not be staring League One in the face right now. In fact there's a very decent chance I think he'd have got us up the following season after the Palace debacle. Bloom chose another way though, as was his right, and we are all reaping the result of that now.

I think a lot of people let their own personal feelings about Poyet cloud the facts about what a bloody good manager he was, and is. Yes, he's an abrasive, egotistical gobshite who loves the sound of his own voice. But he has the character, reputation and charisma to attract the right kind of players to the club and mould them into a team with a defined way of playing, where everybody understood their job.

I don't have to LIKE the bloke in the dugout, all I care is whether he's good at his job. And the results that Poyet achieved here proved beyond doubt he was a damn good manager, and since he was jettisoned, we have declined massively. Happy enough with CH, but if in some parallel universe Poyet was willing and available, I'd have him back tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here