Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breed of Dog?

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
My neighbour has 2 lurchers they killed our other neighbours cat and try to rip everything/everyone to shreds still I guess every dogs different and its all down to how you train/treat them

Agreed - My 3 will chase anything that moves when out walking trying to take it down if they get near enough .... Deer Rabbits Pheasents Mountain Bike Riders etc, but when whistled they return to either my wife's or my side ... back home they eat out the same bowl as our 2 cats , which are both the size of rabbits - spent time training them with encouragement and patience and reap the rewards

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I recently got a rescue dog from the RSPCA Braepool, it is a Portugese Podengo and is 3 years old. I cannot believe how lucky we have got, he is fantastic with the kids, cats, other dogs etc. He is slightly nervous but this is presumably because he has lived on the streets of Portugal all his life. I only got him recently when we last had the snow and he loved playing in it, which was obviously the first time he had ever seen snow! A mate of mine mentioned they had another one at the RSPCA and we got a 1 year old girl. We haven't got quite as lucky but she is still lovely. Indoors she hides behind the sofa and will not come out. Drag her out and put the lead on and she comes to life, loves it out in the park, beach, Downs, etc. She is also a chewer at the moment, so a bit worried about this but hopefully she will grow out of it. Really hoping the boy will bring her out of her shell as well as all the attention she gets from the kids.

Definitely recommend Podengo's.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
We have a 12 yr old Lab x Rottie, had him since 12 weeks and he came from Shoreham Dog Trust. It just so happens that the Dogs Trust are in the foyer area at Holmbush today and I've just signed up to sponsor a dog for them, £2 per week, tugged at my heart strings hearing they had 17,000 dogs go through their doors last year and that they are struggling desperately for funds. Good luck with your hunt, but please be aware that a dog will totally takeover your life and consider holiday arrangements, we're looking at kennel costs of £18 per night and we have 2 to consider!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yeah, but they were very spacious.

Actually, in living at the kennels for 25 years, I was only ever bitten twice, once by a Borzoi and once by a Bulldog. My least favourite dogs were the yappy Jack Russels - nasty little things. Loved the big dogs though.

I believe a Jack Russell was Best Man, or possibly Maid of Honour, at the wedding of Lord and Lady Bracknell.

For ourselves, we are getting a cockapoo at the end of July. A bit on-trend by our standards, but they are very affectionate and bright and Daisy, for such is her name, will be good for our grandchildren.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Working Cocker Spaniels are the way forward

Fantastic with children (maybe the best?) but Mrs Rune & I have found our boy to be utterly exhausting. Leave working dogs to those who'll work them or spend your life trying to make them into the pet they were never bred to be.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I don't believe that any dog should ever be 100% trusted in a room alone with children. Kids seem to have a knack of pissing a dog off when it's having a.bad day!
The best dog I have ever owned that may tick all your boxes is a Boxer. We've had ours for 2 years and I can honestly say that he has been superb. As a house dog around 3 young kids he's been brilliant. He really is one of them and I wouldn't hesitate in having another.
Good luck on your decision and please research before you decide. 10-15 years is a long commitment to make and it's only fair to get it right for all your sakes.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
Lurcher. Possibly the laziest dogs in the world; ours sleeps about 23 hours a day. 2 x 20 minute walks per day where he can run and chase things, even better if you have a field nearby with rabbits etc. Extremely quiet and placid in the house and very rarely bark. Absolutely useless as a guard dog though. Good with kids as well. Natural instinct is as a hunter/killer but ours has been 'taught' to leave our chickens alone.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I cannot understand why anyone would want a Labrador. They are the most boring dog on the planet. They're greedy, they don't age well, and they all look exactly the same. Why anyone would choose one is beyond me. They are the bog standard dog, the run of the mill choice. Zzzzzzz.

Seagullbluewhite

Jun 3, 2013
We have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel we rescued last year, she is just a softie, loves her walks, loves kids, cats and even our rabbit. Does need to be brushed daily, but very easy to manage with out having to do daily 10 mile walks as some breeds. Had a couple of Labradors spent hours walking daily, which we loved, but can be too much for some after a while,

matt

Mar 19, 2007
We have two male dogs; a chocolate lab and a lab/beagle/fox/cat cross. Both are now about 5.

The lab, who we got first, has been a bit of a mare. He is very grumpy and a nightmare on his lead when he sees other dogs (he wears a muzzle). He has also been known to jump at cyclists and walkers. He has calmed down a little and had quite a lot of training when he was younger, which really didn't seem to have any effect. I certainly wouldn't leave him alone with any of my daughter's school friends or anyone who he isn't familiar with. He has also had lots of medical issues (overshot jaw, back legs that are different length, and arthritis from an early age).

The mixed-breed was a rescue dog from here http://www.pupsneedinghomes.co.uk/index.html - who I think are based in Heathfield. Comparatively, he has been no bother at all. He is fine on his lead and can play happily with other dogs, and with children.

Both had their bits chopped when they were puppies.

I think we were just unlucky with our lab. Not that we don't love him, but if he was a human I think he would be regarded as 'having issues' and the other dogs probably refer to him as a 'tard.

Ho hum.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I cannot understand why anyone would want a Labrador. They are the most boring dog on the planet. They're greedy, they don't age well, and they all look exactly the same. Why anyone would choose one is beyond me. They are the bog standard dog, the run of the mill choice. Zzzzzzz.

they are great dogs.....dont know how you can say they are boring.....what would you recommend as an alternative then?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was looking for a good dog for a young family and ended up with an English Setter

G.EnglishSetter.jpg

They are extremely even tempered, so can cope with having their ears pulled by young kids, not as nuts as Irish Setters, a decent size, don't moult, and most importantly, are very good looking, so you get loads of women asking you about them

21-Quagmire-Griffin-Family-Guy.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think we were just unlucky with our lab. Not that we don't love him, but if he was a human I think he would be regarded as 'having issues' and the other dogs probably refer to him as a 'tard.

This is easily my favourite post on this thread.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Not too sure how you can say that. My Lab, Granville, is a fantastic pet and adds huge entertainment not only to the family but my shop and B&B customers. Most comments in the Guest Book are about Granville, he's loved by all.
They do need a lot of exercise if not they will get fat but as the same can be said for me that that's a good thing.
I can safely say he's my best mate.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Not too sure how you can say that. My Lab, Granville, is a fantastic pet and adds huge entertainment not only to the family but my shop and B&B customers. Most comments in the Guest Book are about Granville, he's loved by all.
They do need a lot of exercise if not they will get fat but as the same can be said for me that that's a good thing.
I can safely say he's my best mate.

It's not that their characters are boring, I didn't mean that, they're nice enough dogs and are fairly good fun and usually good with kids etc, thats why they make good cross breeds. But they all look the same and everyone has them. They're the bog standard dog. It's like supporting Man Utd because they're the biggest club.

they are great dogs.....dont know how you can say they are boring.....what would you recommend as an alternative then?

Labradoodles. Amazing dogs, all the good bits of Labradors without the bad bits. No two are the same and they tend to have the Poodle character, which is much more fun than a Labrador's. Or better still, Goldendoodles. Ever seen them? I know someone who has two and they are brilliant, probably the best dogs I've ever seen. They look amazing and are so much fun to walk, they are absolutely mental. But then once you get them back inside they lie down quietly like Labradors. Brilliant dogs.

Springers are great dogs as well, but unless you live next door to a beach or don't have to work and can spend a LOT of time exercising them, they aren't really suitable pets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here