Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breed of Dog?

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
Golden Retrievers are good dogs to get. My dad has one and it is very good with kids and can be quite playful at times and gets on well with other digs

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Another vote for Lurchers. If you can find a greyhound crossed with either a deerhound/ wolfhound you'll have a brilliant dog. Keep well away from Bambi though. Good with cats, kids and other dogs in my experience but can be a sod with bunnies or squirrels, if they run away the dog will tear after them and boy can they run.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Very true, it wouldn't be fair at all - Maybe get a cat instead?

I have cats for this very reason. Certainly couldn't leave a dog all day at home unless I had someone to come in every day, then you have to rely on someone. Cats are fine, though - I got two, to keep each other company during the day, though.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
I'd love to get a dog but I'm not comfortable with the idea of getting one then leaving home alone all day. Doesn't seem fair.

theres a website out thats like a social network for pet owners. people register as either pet-owners or people who want to look after a pet, but cant full-time

the collection of people who dont own a pet can apply to look after the dog when the other person is not about - they have feedback etc so you dont get nutters - something to think about definitely

if i could rememeber the name of it, id post the link here, but i dont, and i dont know what to google for.....

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'd love to get a dog but I'm not comfortable with the idea of getting one then leaving home alone all day. Doesn't seem fair.

That's what Greyhounds are for.

They love being able to sleep all day, love you for ten minutes, have some food then go back to sleep.

Add a walk in now and then and they're happy as Larry.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Dog flaps are the way forward if you have to leave them on their own for longish periods. Works well with our Jack Russell although we had problems when we had the Great Dane.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
FYI - RSPCA Brighton have 10 - 8 week old x- breed pups in ATM

I have 3 Rescue Dogs - 2 from RSPCA and 1 from Dogs Trust all homed with me within the last 15 months

All 3 are Lurchers - Great temperment and very active when out and lazy indoors ( other than a few mad 5 minutes now and again when the house becomes a race track)

Dogs trust have some funny rules - like trying to insist that you have the dog spayed by the age of 6 months (which can be detremental in later life to females) but dont do home visits or charge as much as places like RSPCA or Raysted

Knowing what i know now after getting my furry companions choices of venue to get from would be
RSPCA then Dogs trust , Raysted , Allsorts, Waders (Worthing)

Take your time and be patient when viewing dont just go for the first cute one you see - The dog that is meant for you and your family will come to you - Shadow our eldest was a pup nobody wanted because he was the runt of a litter

Dont think he's turned out to bad

View attachment 43695

Fine looking lurcher. The spitting image of my old dog who came to me via Battersea.

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
Get a Shi Tzuh. I didn't like dogs at all until we got Buzz. She is the nicest mannered pet you could possibly have. Everyone likes her and she has a lovely docile character, is very loyal and is fine when and if we have to leave her at home on her own. Shi Tzuh's don't moult but do need a trim every 6-8 weeks. She is happy with two half hour walks each day (or less if it's raining) but will go for miles if you want a long walk on the beach or downs. Kids love her as do all of the other people who regularly smile at her when we're out or those who stop us to give her a stroke which she loves too. Highly recommended dog!

AlbionRob

Dec 25, 2011
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371044905.688117.jpg

We've got a Springador (Springer/Lab =
Mutt) & I'm amazed how much he looks like a Lurcher. Apparently, a Labrador is born half-trained and a Springer dies half-trained. Think that we will end up somewhere in the middle - bags of energy, lots of fun, sleeps well and happy to be in a crate for a couple of hours. When the current Mrs AlbionRob is working, we get a dog walker to take him out. He is essentially out for two hours, walked off lead for an hour by a dog whisperer, all for £10.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
King Charles Cavaliers are probably the best dog i've seen with kids. Lovely little dogs with a wonderful temperament.

Some grooming required though.
And Cocker Spaniels are also amzing with kids. We had ours before children, and despite having face made to look like Phil Cool, she's never made the quietest of grows, or shown her teeth, or anything. Long hair though. Going to pick ours up from the groomers in a minute.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
View attachment 43701

We've got a Springador (Springer/Lab =
Mutt) & I'm amazed how much he looks like a Lurcher. Apparently, a Labrador is born half-trained and a Springer dies half-trained. Think that we will end up somewhere in the middle - bags of energy, lots of fun, sleeps well and happy to be in a crate for a couple of hours. When the current Mrs AlbionRob is working, we get a dog walker to take him out. He is essentially out for two hours, walked off lead for an hour by a dog whisperer, all for £10.

My parents have got a Springer x Lab - he just looks like a very oversized spaniel. When we got him we saw his sister, who looked liked a spaniel-sized labrador

AlbionRob

Dec 25, 2011
My parents have got a Springer x Lab - he just looks like a very oversized spaniel. When we got him we saw his sister, who looked liked a spaniel-sized labrador

Have seen a lot of Springadors like ours and lots as you have described - no rhyme or reason with mutts.

Buddy-Boy's parents were working dogs and he is relatively small (taller than a Springer, but as thin as a rake). Friend of mine bred a litter of lab/lurcher cross and Buddy looks like them too!

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
At the risk of being called a fairy [as happened on a similar thread many months ago] a Border Terrier is, in my experience, the best family dog money [£400ish] can buy. Got two of 'em, the first we had before the kids who spent their early years sat on his back/draped round his neck etc.

border.jpg

Camicus

I have a westie and a scottie and a westie scottie cross the only one I would trust with children is the westie. My neighbour has 2 lurchers they killed our other neighbours cat and try to rip everything/everyone to shreds still I guess every dogs different and its all down to how you train/treat them

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
Another vote for Labs - I currently have 2 male Labs - a 12 yr old Chocolate and a 16 week old Black and previously had a Yellow female when our children were small. All 3 have been fantastic with the exception of the Yellow who was brilliant with the girls but also eat our kitchen floor and cupboards and bit through an electric cable which defrosted the freezer.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
The kids have finally worn me down, and i've agreed to get them a dog. We've signed up with the Dogs Trust in Shoreham, but it seems as we have a cat and two kids under 10, our choices are limited.

Any suggestions for a breed that are good with children?

do you want to look after a 7 month old Sprooker Spaniel for 16 days to try it out? Whilst i go on holiday!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here