Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Breed of Dog?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

We had a Bulldog and this description sums "Deke" up perfectly especially "Chew there way through life"

Some things to consider:

Bulldogs are perpetual children: they never grow up. A Bulldog does best in a loving environment, free from fear and neglect. They are happiest when with people and require lots of attention from people. When left alone, Bulldogs can be very destructive. They may chew throughout their lifetimes. They may need to be crated when they are not being supervised. A Bulldog should never be left unattended in your backyard. Not only is it dangerous to your Bulldog's wellbeing, but Bulldogs are often targeted for theft.

Possible Health Problems

Bulldogs have numerous known genetic defects and are subject to various illnesses that affect many breeds. Common Bulldog health problems you may encounter include: elongated soft palate, small trachea, allergies, dermatitis, demodetic mange, eye lid anomalies, hip dysplasia and heart problems. Some of them have a tendency toward self-mutilation (especially if they have itchy skin), so owners should watch carefully for signs of skin irritation and scratching.

My criteria is, Short haired, not smelly and seeing i'll be out walking it as the kids will lose interest in the ****er in a years time, nothing too effeminate! I'm too pretty.

Still Heinz 57.

If I ever got another it would just be a Mutley.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
As you live in Portslade then the right dog for you is a Staffie. :thumbsup:

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
image.jpgThis one will drive the kids to school for you.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
In a kennel ? Strange world we live in ...

Yeah, but they were very spacious.

Actually, in living at the kennels for 25 years, I was only ever bitten twice, once by a Borzoi and once by a Bulldog. My least favourite dogs were the yappy Jack Russels - nasty little things. Loved the big dogs though.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
100% agree - Labs are great with kids - and too slow to pose a major threat to cats - very loyal - but don't over feed them or they'll get obese!

100% agree - for really docile go for chocolate lab - semi lazy and live to eat, sleep and be walked....given a good home like most dogs will be best friend of you and family.....I've a 10 month old daughter, he's brilliant with her and has been from day 1 - sits by her side to protect her at all times (and not also as she drops a lot of food and so he's perfectly placed to hoover that up!) and never ever responds to any provocation, even having his whiskers pulled out when not looking!.....

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Go for a West Highland White Terrier. Good alarm dog, would lick any burglar to death, good with little'uns, and love cats, though couldn't eat a whole one.

Once you get used to the Scottish accent in their bark they are brilliant. Easy to feed, and you only need small poo bags.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
How about a weimaraner? Short haired and very loving. Reasonably large though and can be a bit ditzy,

The Bun Elephant

Feb 16, 2010
Sussex By The Sea
FYI - RSPCA Brighton have 10 - 8 week old x- breed pups in ATM

I have 3 Rescue Dogs - 2 from RSPCA and 1 from Dogs Trust all homed with me within the last 15 months

All 3 are Lurchers - Great temperment and very active when out and lazy indoors ( other than a few mad 5 minutes now and again when the house becomes a race track)

Dogs trust have some funny rules - like trying to insist that you have the dog spayed by the age of 6 months (which can be detremental in later life to females) but dont do home visits or charge as much as places like RSPCA or Raysted

Knowing what i know now after getting my furry companions choices of venue to get from would be
RSPCA then Dogs trust , Raysted , Allsorts, Waders (Worthing)

Take your time and be patient when viewing dont just go for the first cute one you see - The dog that is meant for you and your family will come to you - Shadow our eldest was a pup nobody wanted because he was the runt of a litter

Dont think he's turned out to bad

IMG_00000248_zps4b761b38.jpg

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
This why i've been holding out so long. Nothing worse than entering a house to be greeted by the smell of dog! I'm doing some research and apparently Hungarian Vizsla's don't smell too bad. As a breed it seems to be ticking all the boxes.

Just a warning with them. A friend had one and would have to leave it at home while at work. Destruction ensued.

Very, very intelligent dogs, need a fair bit of training and exercise to temper their potentially bad habits though.

If someones home all day to keep em company they should be fine. Training and lots of exercise the key though.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit

I have 3 Rescue Dogs - 2 from RSPCA and 1 from Dogs Trust all homed with me withing the last 15 months

All 3 are Lurchers - Great temperment and very active when out and lazy indoors ( other than a few mad 5 minutes now and again when the house becomes a race track)

Dogs trust have some funny rules - like trying to insist that you have the dog spayed by the age of 6 months (which can be detremental in later life to females) but dont do home visits and are dont charge as much as places like RSPCA or Raysted

Knowing what i know now after getting my furry companions choices of venue to get from would be
RSPCA then Dogs trust , Raysted , Allsorts Waders (Worthing)

Take your time and be patient when viewing dont just go for the first cute one you see - The dog that is meant for you and your family will come to you - Shadow our eldest was a pup nobody wanted because he was the runt of a litter

View attachment 43695

Thanks. Sound advice.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009

I have 3 Rescue Dogs - 2 from RSPCA and 1 from Dogs Trust all homed with me within the last 15 months

Dogs trust have some funny rules - like trying to insist that you have the dog spayed by the age of 6 months (which can be detremental in later life to females) but dont do home visits or charge as much as places like RSPCA or Raysted

RSPCA then Dogs trust , Raysted , Allsorts Waders (Worthing)

View attachment 43695

our retriever was the runt - chose/rescued her because she was the smallest and getting beaten up by the rest of the puppies

she is VERY needy and VERY stupid - but the most affectionate dog ever, and does so many hilarious things

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd love to get a dog but I'm not comfortable with the idea of getting one then leaving home alone all day. Doesn't seem fair.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here