Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brazen shoplifting in Co Op Hove seafront

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I'm in there most days. Seen a lot of shoplifting this month but not by underworld characters. Seen schoolboys running out with a 4 pack of beer bottles in each hand and young student filling up a duffel bag.
Tested it myself once by paying for some stuff at self service and then going to have a look at the wine before walking out with my arms full of the stuff paid for earlier.
Easy as $@×^. They've had all the baskets taken to carry away the nicked stuff too. Could have done with this type of service when I was a teenager.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I stopped off for a couple of ice creams at a newsagents near Stanley Park once on the way out of town from the fake " Cavern" museum, the glass was covered with a wire mesh, inside everything was behind glass and you stood in a lobby with a small hatch and mesh grill in the partition in front of you.

Everything in that shop was protected, you couldn't have shoplifted a penny chew without a giant axe .

Sounds like the newsagents/sweet shop near my Sussex state comprehensive back in 70's/80's. To preserve stock from the lunchtime swarm of locusts.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My coop on lewes road got security in lockdown and they still have them now

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Dear Daily Mail

Today I was shopping in the new Co op on Hove seafront next to the King Alfred .

Whilst I was in the shop, a man about 30 came in with a large canvas bag , he walked over to an isle and proceeded to fill up his bag, literally tipping loads of stuff into the bag .

He then walked out of the shop casually .

I alerted the shop assistant who said they have been advised not to try to stop shop lifters especially ones they know that live opposite in the council run half way house as there are A few men living there that have threatened shop assistants with a knife when they have approached them .

He told me they were all from a certain country but I won’t say which one , as it’s unfair to judge a whole country based on the actions of these men . It is a country a long way away .

The Co op guy said they can’t afford a security man and there is no point ringing the police if no one’s hurt because they won’t even turn up the same day !

What is going wrong with our city and why are the council allowing a half way house in the middle of a busy urban family populated area !

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
What even those from " a country a long way away " ?
What's the point!
They probably all look the same and the police can't be bothered to arrest them.

But if you say you're English, they'll lock you up.
These days.

Saw a Panorama report on British prisons almost full to the rafters with people who said they're English. Families ripped apart by people saying they're English and the chances are they'll never really be rehabilitated, but rather just bounce from one prison to another and only spending a few days out before getting arrested for saying they're English.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Saw the same happen in Co op Eastbourne Town centre. What looked like a homeless guy walked out with 4 bottles of spirits, in full view of 3 shop assistants who said the same that if they get involved they are threatened

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Saw the same happen in Co op Eastbourne Town centre. What looked like a homeless guy walked out with 4 bottles of spirits, in full view of 3 shop assistants who said the same that if they get involved they are threatened

That's nothing, Co-op Dolgellau, I saw some foreigner walking out with a 25kg bag of potatoes, an HD TV, a Sky box, 48 cans of Skol and a cabbage, police just stood and watched. And then arrested me cos I said I'm English.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
When I was a student living in a house opposite Whitehawk bus station it was common knowledge (and I witnessed it several times) that the Co-op round the corner was open season for shop lifting. I never joined in clearly but it seemed to be "acceptable loss" because the cost of stopping it was more than the loss itself.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Store needs closing down until they install security guards to, if nothing else, safeguard the staff and customers

If that was the case then every Southern Coop needs shutting down.

Only Group Coops have security guards as far as I've seen.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It is very disheartening, sad state of the nation........ but if a Coop on Hove seafront wasn't profitable it would not stay open so profits are obviously still good.

edit - and I have little time for the Coop nowadays after hearing they are expending the original (of 2) Coops at 7 Dials and pushing out two local businesses (one in particular, being a lovely Portuguese bistro). so if they tolerate it as acceptable losses, up to them.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The shop staff are correct from the Co Op to Waitrose they are told not to confront shop lifters, anything under £100 in value the police won’t bother coming out. All they do in M&S is ban shop lifters from the store, one old granny who they started to suspect had got away with £1000’s worth of food over the last year when they checked the cctv footage, the OB still didn’t bother themselves. My other half works for M&S its rife with Shop lifters especially with members of the travelling community all nicking under a £100 worth.

Would you confront a shop lifter when you barely get paid just over minimum wage not a chance.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Shoplifters do my head in. Running seafront shops I have lots of stuff out on the pavement (for which I pay the council). I lose around £25 worth of goods a day to 'homeless' and drunken stag parties (£20 of sunglasses to one person yesterday alone). On the street I see traffic wardens & environment officers (£150 for dropping a cigarette) but no police. As with the co-op, security would cost more than £25 so just not worth it. But some days I do get the feeling that walking in to a shop and walking out with cheap goods is now legal.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Coop stores have cctv so any shoplifter is easily identified.

My nephew had some stuff lifted from his shop in Folkestone, including his ipad. It was all captured on his CCTV and the culprit was easily identified as a local "celebrity" called Slovak Tony (no idea here he comes from). The police were shown the CCTV and were totally disinterested in doing anything. After a couple of weeks of non-action by the cops (with the culprit still walking openly round town) he contacted the local MP and sent him the video. The MP raised the case with the cops, Slovak Tony was tipped off and did a runner before they woke from their slumber. Maybe Brighton cops are different?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here