Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brazen shoplifting in Co Op Hove seafront

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Today I was shopping in the new Co op on Hove seafront next to the King Alfred .

Whilst I was in the shop, a man about 30 came in with a large canvas bag , he walked over to an isle and proceeded to fill up his bag, literally tipping loads of stuff into the bag .

He then walked out of the shop casually .

I alerted the shop assistant who said they have been advised not to try to stop shop lifters especially ones they know that live opposite in the council run half way house as there are A few men living there that have threatened shop assistants with a knife when they have approached them .

He told me they were all from a certain country but I won’t say which one , as it’s unfair to judge a whole country based on the actions of these men . It is a country a long way away .

The Co op guy said they can’t afford a security man and there is no point ringing the police if no one’s hurt because they won’t even turn up the same day !

What is going wrong with our city and why are the council allowing a half way house in the middle of a busy urban family populated area !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
:needpics:

Why didn't you steam in and make a citizen's arrest?

Bloody Australians!

Reactions: Vin

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Today I was shopping in the new Co op on Hove seafront next to the King Alfred .

Whilst I was in the shop, a man about 30 came in with a large canvas bag , he walked over to an isle and proceeded to fill up his bag, literally tipping loads of stuff into the bag .

I alerted the shop assistant who said they have been advised not to try to stop shop lifters especially ones they know that live opposite in the council run half way house as there are A few men living there that have threatened shop assistants with a knife when they have approached them .

He told me they were all from a certain country but I won’t say which one , as it’s unfair to judge a whole country based on the actions of these men . It is a country a long way away .

The Co op guy said they can’t afford a security man and there is no point ringing the police if no one’s hurt because they won’t even turn up the same day !

What is going wrong with our city and why are the council allowing a half way house in the middle of a busy urban family populated area !

I agree with your dismay. I think here the best course of action is to raise it with your councillor and with the council housing officer. Explain the whys and where.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I've never come across a supermarket without a security guard. And who can't afford it - the company? Sounds like baloney.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Can't afford a security guard? Seems like an odd thing to say, it's the Coop, they can afford security guards if they want them. £100M profit in 2021, which was down 57%, but still a bit of margin in there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Store needs closing down until they install security guards to, if nothing else, safeguard the staff and customers

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Sounds great, I'm going to pop down there now and steal my lunch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
£5 win New Zealand.

£1 ew double Andorra & Papua New Guinea.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I've never come across a supermarket without a security guard. And who can't afford it - the company? Sounds like baloney.

pretty common or standard for Coop. others all seem to have security these days.

watched something recently about this practice in US, company or local police policy to overlook shoplifting in poor areas. soon the occasional theft turned into dozens of people, and the shops were shutting due to the losses and inability to get staff to work there. its really not very clever.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Sounds great, I'm going to pop down there now and steal my lunch.

I'm a bit tied up with other stuff right now. Can you nab me a Kit Kat? (If the bloke from another unspecified country a long way away has already taken them all, a Dime bar is ok). Cheers.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If he walked over to an isle he sounds like the Lord our Saviour. A CBE at the least for this man who walked on water (unless aforementioned isle was connected to the mainland by a footbridge of course)

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I'm a bit tied up with other stuff right now. Can you nab me a Kit Kat? (If the bloke from another unspecified country a long way away has already taken them all, a Dime bar is ok). Cheers.

Yep, no probs.

It would certainly help with the cost of living crisis, if you were just able to nick your lunch every day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't afford a security guard? Seems like an odd thing to say, it's the Coop, they can afford security guards if they want them. £100M profit in 2021, which was down 57%, but still a bit of margin in there.

What would a security guard, to cover all hours of opening cost them, I wonder? They're open 7am - 10pm every day (according to the web) so 105 hours a week. Around £2,000 per week?

I guess they've done all their sums and decided that its cheaper to tolerate stock loss through shoplifting :shrug:

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
What would a security guard, to cover all hours of opening cost them, I wonder? They're open 7am - 10pm every day (according to the web) so 105 hours a week. Around £2,000 per week?

I guess they've done all their sums and decided that its cheaper to tolerate stock loss through shoplifting :shrug:
Do they earn £19 HR then ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

He then walked out of the shop casually .!

Perhaps he'd won a Trolley Dash type competition? :shrug:

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
couple of tins to the head should sort the likes of him from the far away land

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
At least this provides a business opportunity for some would be Godfather. I'm a bit out of touch for the going rate on protection money but a £1,000 a week and the problem will be solved very quickly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here