[Brighton] Brazen shoplifting in Co Op Hove seafront

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do they earn £19 HR then ?

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Earn £19 per hour? No, between £10 and £14 (according to 30 seconds of internet research)

Do they COST £19 per hour? Significantly more if sourced through an agency as is most likely. If they have their own security staff, its still going to come to that once you add in employers' NI, pension contributions, holiday pay, etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A lot of co-ops have security now so seems surprising they don’t if they have a known problem - certainly ones in West Sussex do

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Coop stores have cctv so any shoplifter is easily identified.

What even those from " a country a long way away " ?
What's the point!
They probably all look the same and the police can't be bothered to arrest them.

But if you say you're English, they'll lock you up.
These days.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
pretty common or standard for Coop. others all seem to have security these days.

watched something recently about this practice in US, company or local police policy to overlook shoplifting in poor areas. soon the occasional theft turned into dozens of people, and the shops were shutting due to the losses and inability to get staff to work there. its really not very clever.

In California Proposition 47 makes non-violent theft under $950 a misdemeanor rather than a felony this cutting the crime rate and reducing the prison population . Pure genius

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKhPc174eJc

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
The local high end jewellers in our high street, had a spate of undesirables coming off the tube, smash and grab whatever they could swipe and then back on tube.
This culminated in their insurance company insisting they hire security.
This has resulted with a gorilla in a suit, letting you in whilst locking the door behind you.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The local high end jewellers in our high street, had a spate of undesirables coming off the tube, smash and grab whatever they could swipe and then back on tube.
This culminated in their insurance company insisting they hire security.
This has resulted with a gorilla in a suit, letting you in whilst locking the door behind you.

its been like that in New York for 30 yrs.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Coop stores have cctv so any shoplifter is easily identified.

A covid mask and a hoodie? I'm not so sure they would be "easily identified".

And that presumes that the OB will ever be arsed to collect and then view the cctv footage to even try to attempt to identify the miscreants and bring them to justice. If they cba to turn up as the crime is in progress, are you really convinced they will "pop round later to pick up the cctv"? I'm afraid I'm not.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
bouncer on the door with a baseball bat. simples

The quik-e-mart by Shoreham station has all the sauce locked behind doors in a fridge.

the newsagent doesn't, he probably keeps a Scimitar under the counter.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What even those from " a country a long way away " ?
What's the point!
They probably all look the same and the police can't be bothered to arrest them.

But if you say you're English, they'll lock you up.
These days.
The only valid point in that post is that the police won't bother to arrest them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This attitude has gone for years.

My Dad witnessed folk brazenly lifting piles of clothes from Next in Brighton many years ago. He quietly mentioned it to staff, who said "it's policy to do nothing for fear of violence". This was in "the wonderfully prosperous, social safety net noughties" btw.

All he got for his trouble was "Wat ya fkn looking at?" from one of the thieves?

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My greater concern is there is a Coop blighting the seafront....we were once promised a Frank Gehry.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Earn £19 per hour? No, between £10 and £14 (according to 30 seconds of internet research)

Do they COST £19 per hour? Significantly more if sourced through an agency as is most likely. If they have their own security staff, its still going to come to that once you add in employers' NI, pension contributions, holiday pay, etc.
Exactly - and you can hardly expect someone on £10 - £14 a week to risk their life tackling a knife-weilding robber. Probably a H&S issue these days too.

Trouble is, in cases like this, it looks as if the police regard it as a H&S issue for them too. Sad state of affairs all round.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This attitude has gone for years.

My Dad witnessed folk brazenly lifting pile of clothes from Next in Brighton many years ago. He quietly mentioned it to staff, who said "it's policy to do nothing for fear of violence". This was in "the wonderfully prosperous, social safety net noughties" btw.

All he got for his trouble was "Wat ya fkn looking at?" from one of the thieves?

When I retired in 2014, there were lots of shoplifting cases going through the courts, with security giving evidence as well as cctv.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
It's been like that in Liverpool for 30 years.

In off-licences!

I stopped off for a couple of ice creams at a newsagents near Stanley Park once on the way out of town from the fake " Cavern" museum, the glass was covered with a wire mesh, inside everything was behind glass and you stood in a lobby with a small hatch and mesh grill in the partition in front of you.

Everything in that shop was protected, you couldn't have shoplifted a penny chew without a giant axe .

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I've never come across a supermarket without a security guard. And who can't afford it - the company? Sounds like baloney.

Tesco in Seaford used to have one, but they stopped hiring them a while back. People (mostly teens and a handful of dossers and alcoholics) just walk in and take what they want now. Nobody will/can stop them - their official policy is to ignore it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here