Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza's been on twitter again: Stephen Ireland

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Is this , as others have alluded to, another case where the player needs to feel involved and part of something. Once they get the desire back and enjoy playing football you can really reap the rewards.

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I know a Man City fan who said pretty much exactly this about Wayne Bridge when I told him that we'd signed him on a season long loan. Spendaholic Billy Big Bollocks with no interest in football were his exact words

Bit different though - Bridge had his personal life stuffed up by others, it can take a bit out of your life but most people can get back on track eventual

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I know a Man City fan who said pretty much exactly this about Wayne Bridge when I told him that we'd signed him on a season long loan. Spendaholic Billy Big Bollocks with no interest in football were his exact words

Except Bridge didn't have "previous" like this fella, in fact I always thought of Bridge as really level headed. Ireland has said and done some daft things and reminds me of a latter day Winston Bogarde, in fact not sure when he last played a full game but Wiki suggests it was 3 years ago. If he needs rehab let it be somewhere else

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Creative player who can finish - could be a star performer if he's prepared to knuckle down and work hard, and can be managed properly.

Two biggish IFs but it's a yes please from me if both those happen.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Gonna pin my colours to the mast and say it's a no from me. Anyone comparing him to Vicente is barking up the wrong tree. He's just a rich Ryan Harley. Disinterested, needlessly flashy, unjustifiably arrogant. Plus anyone thinking he'll come here on the cheap is kidding themselves, he will stretch our drive to adhere to FFP to the absolute seams.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I'd give it a gamble, especially on a season long loan - then if he really is as shit as some are saying on here then we can turf him back without making too much of a loss.

If TB, DB and OG think it's good financial and footballing sense then i'm with them. Could be an inspired signing or the worst mistake since Billy Paynter.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
While I agree, Vicente played what 10 games per season, Ireland could become a fixture and fitting in our midfield, I know which one I would prefer.

You say could become a fixture, it's a gamble just like Vicente was. He could also very easily not show any interest, pick up further injuries or carry on being a knob. One decent season by the age of 26 doesn't suggest much to me I'm afraid.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Was a very good player a few years ago when with City but he has been genuinely awful every time I have seen him play since. Why can't we just re sign David Lopez?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know a lot of VIlla fans that will gladly drive him to Falmer for ya

Would they be willing to drive him to Falmer in his car though? This is the true test.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
A lot of people said this about Wayne bridge...

Yes they did, but I always felt more comfortable when Bridge signed from an attitude perspective - I mean he had already achieved from a Premier League perspective and was established, whereas Ireland really has only had one decent season......

Furthermore, with the exception of the Terry incident I don't recall Bridge courting as much publicity as Ireland.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
He was the best City player by far when we played them in the League Cup at Withers. Although that was probably his last decent performance for them.

Feb 12, 2013
According to Wikipeadia Ireland got Villa's fans Player of the Season in 2012, despite only play 24 games. I was sure Villa fans hated him?! Was the award a joke because he hadn't lived up to expectations, or did he really have a good season? A bit mental to say the least, but I would love him here on loan as I assume we can't afford his wages

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
With a motor like that how long will it be before he is banging in the back doors of Katie Price ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here