Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bozza's been on twitter again: Stephen Ireland

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
As a person he quite clearly swerves towards tool-like tendancies. There's no denying that.

Can you be specific?....I always rated him as a player, but I have to be honest and say that the behaviour issues mentioned on this thread seem to have passed me by.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can you be specific?....I always rated him as a player, but I have to be honest and say that the behaviour issues mentioned on this thread seem to have passed me by.

Are you unable to see the pictures in this thread!?

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

From the wiki:

In September 2007, Ireland was at the centre of controversy when, in the immediate aftermath of a Republic of Ireland international match and days before their crunch game against the Czech Republic, coach Steve Staunton informed him of a telephone call just received from his girlfriend reporting the death of his maternal grandmother. Staunton quickly consented to Ireland's compassionate leave on these grounds, a private jet was chartered for his return.

However the media quickly discovered that Ireland's grandmother was not dead, at which point Ireland announced it was his paternal grandmother who died but yet again, reporters discovered that Ireland's paternal grandmother was also still alive, and her relatives had threatened to sue one newspaper that reported her death. Ireland changed his story again, saying one of his grandfathers had divorced, and it was his second wife who had died. That was also quickly discovered to be untrue.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
From the wiki:

In September 2007, Ireland was at the centre of controversy when, in the immediate aftermath of a Republic of Ireland international match and days before their crunch game against the Czech Republic, coach Steve Staunton informed him of a telephone call just received from his girlfriend reporting the death of his maternal grandmother. Staunton quickly consented to Ireland's compassionate leave on these grounds, a private jet was chartered for his return.

However the media quickly discovered that Ireland's grandmother was not dead, at which point Ireland announced it was his paternal grandmother who died but yet again, reporters discovered that Ireland's paternal grandmother was also still alive, and her relatives had threatened to sue one newspaper that reported her death. Ireland changed his story again, saying one of his grandfathers had divorced, and it was his second wife who had died. That was also quickly discovered to be untrue.

Can't see that being a bar to performing from or the Albion....anything else?

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
From the wiki:

Well if he's half as tenacious in his tackling as he is in his lying - I say sign him up (although could definitely see a few mistimed tackles going in before he gets one right)...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

When you say "always" what exactly do you mean? He has only had one decent season in him in 10 years as a pro. He seems a classic example of a footballer signing a life-changing contract and then putting more effort into his life-style than his profession. I really cannot see what the fuss is about and if he cannot be arsed at his current club I really cannot see how dropping down a division will spur him on.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As others have said, I was very impressed by him at Withdean and have looked out for his performances since. He has disappointed often but still has it when he wants to. If it happens, I reckon it will be because he wants to play, he has a work rate like CMS but all over the pitch and a much better touch.
I say get him if we can.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
When you say "always" what exactly do you mean?

Well in the times I have seen him live (three times)..and the many motd and sky live appearances.....
Tenacious, good engine.......not a lot to be resistant to if he comes to the Albion.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
When you say "always" what exactly do you mean? He has only had one decent season in him in 10 years as a pro. He seems a classic example of a footballer signing a life-changing contract and then putting more effort into his life-style than his profession. I really cannot see what the fuss is about and if he cannot be arsed at his current club I really cannot see how dropping down a division will spur him on.

Downside risk hugely outweighs the upside I'd have thought.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here