Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boxing day match travel arrangements.

el punal

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2377332/travel-information-brentford

At this point, we can confirm Park and Ride sites to the Amex Stadium from the following locations:

Brendon’s Equestrian Centre – Pyecombe
ASDA – Hollingbury
Sainsbury’s – West Hove
Mill Road – Patcham
Brighton Racecourse

Please note, ASDA, Sainsbury’s and the Equestrian Centre will require booking in advance, due to limited parking spaces. Details of how to book will be advised soon.

Fantastic! So basically, with no public transport available, anyone hoping to go to the match will have to travel by car or coach (unless you live locally where you can walk or cycle). I don’t know the exact numbers but surely P&R spaces will be extremely limited (1000 - 2000?). On most match days P&R sites will be full well before kick off and therefore the alternative would be for fans to use trains and buses, and as this is not an option on Boxing Day, what then?

Where this all goes against the grain is that the Amex was built on the understanding that the vast majority of fans would use public transport (trains, buses, park and ride) to get to/from the ground and that private car usage would be kept to a bare minimum. On that basis surely the club, local authorities, maybe the police could, and should, have argued the case for the fixture not going ahead on Boxing Day evening.

The other point of concern is staffing. Will there be sufficient staff, firstly, at the Amex for stewarding and catering. Had it been an afternoon kick off, or earlier, maybe not so problematic but for an 8.00pm kick off? I can imagine a lot of “no shows” for this gig not just for stadium staff but those manning the P&R buses.

I was hoping to make this fixture along with my grandson had it been a reasonable kick off time, and 8.00pm is not reasonable, so I’m afraid the club are going to suffer another two empty seats along with hundreds, thousands of others.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Thing is no previous Boxing Day match at the Amex has finished so late before. It'll be about 10pm by the time the masses are leaving. National Rail journey planner saying no trains after the match. Like you say we need someone in the know to say.
I very much doubt any bus or train company will put on buses or trains so a few football fans can get home at 10pm on boxing day.never had never will

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Fantastic! So basically, with no public transport available, anyone hoping to go to the match will have to travel by car or coach (unless you live locally where you can walk or cycle). I don’t know the exact numbers but surely P&R spaces will be extremely limited (1000 - 2000?).

Quick look on the ticketing site shows 960 spaces available at West Hove, 926 at Asda, 790 at Pyecombe, and 345 parking spaces at Sussex Uni available. Thats over 3000 cars and hopefully each car will have at least 2 people in. That's on top of the usual parking spaces and usual Park & Ride. Still going to be a huge ballache for most people though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Fantastic! So basically, with no public transport available, anyone hoping to go to the match will have to travel by car or coach (unless you live locally where you can walk or cycle). I don’t know the exact numbers but surely P&R spaces will be extremely limited (1000 - 2000?). On most match days P&R sites will be full well before kick off and therefore the alternative would be for fans to use trains and buses, and as this is not an option on Boxing Day, what then?

Where this all goes against the grain is that the Amex was built on the understanding that the vast majority of fans would use public transport (trains, buses, park and ride) to get to/from the ground and that private car usage would be kept to a bare minimum. On that basis surely the club, local authorities, maybe the police could, and should, have argued the case for the fixture not going ahead on Boxing Day evening.

The other point of concern is staffing. Will there be sufficient staff, firstly, at the Amex for stewarding and catering. Had it been an afternoon kick off, or earlier, maybe not so problematic but for an 8.00pm kick off? I can imagine a lot of “no shows” for this gig not just for stadium staff but those manning the P&R buses.

I was hoping to make this fixture along with my grandson had it been a reasonable kick off time, and 8.00pm is not reasonable, so I’m afraid the club are going to suffer another two empty seats along with hundreds, thousands of others.

The KO time is shite, but the transport issues would apply regardless of that - no trains or buses on Boxing Day (same applies if we were away - would have to drive to London/wherever)

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021

Hopefully it will be a white Christmas

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
The KO time is shite, but the transport issues would apply regardless of that - no trains or buses on Boxing Day (same applies if we were away - would have to drive to London/wherever)

True, but the late KO just makes it that extra bit less palatable. I rather save my energy and stay up for the cricket.

Leegull

Apr 7, 2016
Get the tin hats ready everyone; If as suspected we're only going to see 15k-20k bums on seats then we're in for yet another round of 'how terrible is this Brighton support' 'they're such an entitled bunch' and they really don't deserve this great team, owner, Manager blah blah blah.... Really looking forward to being ridiculed on Sky, MOTD, in the press and on Talksport every hour or so after this game too!!

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
This is my plan also, I suspect with many thousands of others.

The pretendance is going to be ridiculous.

In all seriousness they could probably close the upper tiers like they do in the Cup Games and save money on stewarding n food outlet staffing costs - i reckon no more than 15k actual attendance

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
In all seriousness they could probably close the upper tiers like they do in the Cup Games and save money on stewarding n food outlet staffing costs - i reckon no more than 15k actual attendance

Logical but from a purely selfish perspective as I'm busting a gut to attend I want my usual upper west seat on the half way line sheltered from the elements a little.

el punal

A logical move but not feasible. The West Upper is nearly all season ticket holders. Even if a third of them turn for the Brentford fixture there still has to be the required amount of the staff and facilities available. The other point is how would the club know except on the night as to how many fans will attend the game, after all the seats have already been sold, regardless whether that ST holder turns up or not.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Walk from kitchen boozing to sitting room boozing. Seems fairly straightforward.

I bet his approach up the track to just before the station was absolutely wonderful though.

The driver needs help from a conductor in my opinion.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Park & Ride will be made worse by people walking to the sites instead of driving so instead of say 500 cars generating 750 people it could be a lot more. Especially at Hove Sainsburys. I hope they plan enough bus trips.
Btw my Seagull Travel seat is already booked.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
345 parking spaces at Sussex Uni have just been put for sale for Boxing day

Thanks for that.

I just can't be doing with the faffing about so have snaffled one.

I wouldn't even have looked had you not mentioned it.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2377332/travel-information-brentford

At this point, we can confirm Park and Ride sites to the Amex Stadium from the following locations:

Brendon’s Equestrian Centre – Pyecombe
ASDA – Hollingbury
Sainsbury’s – West Hove
Mill Road – Patcham
Brighton Racecourse

Please note, ASDA, Sainsbury’s and the Equestrian Centre will require booking in advance, due to limited parking spaces. Details of how to book will be advised soon.

You probably won't know as I doubt you have that information, are we allowed to use these sites but without a car, as Sainsbury's is 10 minute walk from mine, so would just rock up there on foot and get on the bus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here