Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At the risk of being flamed again....

It's exactly as it was four weeks ago. He wants to come here. We want him here. Smug Eddie personally refuses to release him. Subtle antagonism to get a lever underneath is having no effect. Seems like Smug Eddie has bad blood or bad vibes towards us, no idea why.

Wedgee

With respect and with no fire at all, you and your sources kept speaking about us being after Bolanos and we never had any interest at all.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you see Howe changing his mind? It would be good if he did, but it seems a fairly public statement to make.

I have no idea if he will but there are two very good reasons now why he might:

1) Bournemouth being safe.
2) Howe having seemingly numerous other strikers available once again.

Both of these factors have moved along somewhat since the end of January.

He wouldn't be losing any face at all to say something like "Glenn is unlikely to get much first team opportunity in the near future and at his age he needs game time. He is likely to see more action down at Brighton and we can call him back after the first 28 days if we need to."

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Oh please, get over yourself. Where does it say that?

Zamora did have a bad game, but by his own admission he isn't training. We have Wilson, Hemed and Baldock already plus Zamora and Murray, do you seriously believe Hughton will have five forwards in an 18 man matchday squad?

It doesn't matter how many strikers we currently have if none of them can score on a regular and consistent basis. Two successive games without a goal for a team pushing for automatic promotion just isn't good enough. Hence we need Murray.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
So can I assume that the most common attitude towards Murray when he was here ("FFS Murray") would no longer apply?

Who would he replace?

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
He wouldn't be losing any face at all to say something like "Glenn is unlikely to get much first team opportunity in the near future and at his age he needs game time. He is likely to see more action down at Brighton and we can call him back after the first 28 days if we need to."

He has nothing to gain by letting him go and lots to lose. He doesn't strike me as the sort of man who likes to be proved wrong and to buy an older striker for millions, only to send him out on loan would show Murray as a bad buy. Where as keeping him would give him an excuse by having him as a good option off the bench.
If Murray really wants to go to Brighton I can imagine it is only Howes ego not letting it happen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He has nothing to gain by letting him go and lots to lose. He doesn't strike me as the sort of man who likes to be priced wrong and to buy an older striker for millions, only to send him out on loan would show Murray as a bad buy. Where as keeping him would give him an excuse as having him as a good option of the bench.
If Murray really wants to go to Brighton I can imagine it is only Howes ego not letting it happen.

He's not on the bench currently - at least he wasn't yesterday.

I pretty much said the same 4 or 5 weeks ago: with Bournemouth in a perilous position: why loan him out. There was little point risking next season's Premier League millions by loaning him out and risking a striker injury crisis and being unable to immediately recall him.

Since then they've won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2 and will probably be safe if they don't get another point. There would certainly be scope to loan out a player now, who won't make a match day 18, knowing he may keep fresh should you need to recall him for the run-in. A loan now would mean he could come back for Bournemouth's last five games, if required, for example.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Paper today has Weds going for him on loan and happy to pay all his wages, that would be the deal sealer I would imagine.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It doesn't matter how many strikers we currently have if none of them can score on a regular and consistent basis. Two successive games without a goal for a team pushing for automatic promotion just isn't good enough. Hence we need Murray.

He would bring another option from the bench I suppose, but the issue in the last 2 games has not been profligate strikers, but rather our inability to break down stubborn defences. I certainly cannot see him replacing Hemed, now that Hemed has his scoring boots on again.

Swillis

Banned
Dec 10, 2015
He's not on the bench currently - at least he wasn't yesterday.

I pretty much said the same 4 or 5 weeks ago: with Bournemouth in a perilous position: why loan him out. There was little point risking next season's Premier League millions by loaning him out and risking a striker injury crisis and being unable to immediately recall him.

Since then they've won 4, drawn 1 and lost 2 and will probably be safe if they don't get another point. There would certainly be scope to loan out a player now, who won't make a match day 18, knowing he may keep fresh should you need to recall him for the run-in. A loan now would mean he could come back for Bournemouth's last five games, if required, for example.

I agree with all of that, but would Howe's ego allow it. Can you imagine a Brighton manager spending 3-4 million on a player and loaning him out 3 months later? It's not like he is a player for the future is he. Not to mention that if Murray and Howe did have a falling out then I can imagine Howe keeping him there just to spite him. Who knows.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
He would bring another option from the bench I suppose, but the issue in the last 2 games has not been profligate strikers, but rather our inability to break down stubborn defences. I certainly cannot see him replacing Hemed, now that Hemed has his scoring boots on again.

Hemed has benefited this season from us having no adequate fit replacement or he would have been given up on ages ago.

Credit to him that he has had a couple of decent games reasonably recently but for a side looking for automatic promotion he is a weakness.

IMO we need much much more from him to go up.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Paper today has Weds going for him on loan and happy to pay all his wages, that would be the deal sealer I would imagine.

He'd rather stay at Bmouth, living in Brighton, I'd imagine. Can see us as the only likely destination IF he goes anywhere. It's been apparent for a while that he wants to come to us - I suspect mainly so he doesn't have to commute to Bmouth 5 or 6 times a week :lol:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I have no idea if he will but there are two very good reasons now why he might:

1) Bournemouth being safe.
2) Howe having seemingly numerous other strikers available once again.

Both of these factors have moved along somewhat since the end of January.

Also IMO we would sign him permanently for next season.This also might suit all parties.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can you imagine a Brighton manager spending 3-4 million on a player and loaning him out 3 months later?

Unlikely at Championship level, but signing Manu for c£1.5m and loaning him out to Huddersfield is probably on a par, given the money that we (don't) have relative to Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here