Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was at the game at the Goldstone when over 30,000 were in to see us play Ted MacShite and chums in the early 70s (when they were quite good). But the only time I remember the North being 'taken' was around 71/2 when about 10 Gillingham supporters 'took' the centre of a 75% empty space. I was in the West chicken run at the time and fund it all rather amusing.

About 1978 I was in the NS, just 13 and passive, Millwall were the visitors. What did the NS hold at a packed game, 7,000?

Out of nowhere about 10 Millwall fans kicked off. Older than Albion hooligans, mid 40’s, huge dockers I’m guessing.

From what I could see the entire 7,000 were scared of them. Took dozens of coppers to prize them off of crash barriers and out of the stadium.

If their fan meant the entire Bmuff support (475 grandads and wallies), he’s lying. Or did he just mean his group?

Until about 1977 you could literally wander round unless say Palarse or Millwall were visiting. There was no segregation fences or gates were wide open. There were few club personnel.

Isn’t there a Bmuff tale where they say they beat up the entire NS in the NS and made everyone run away, early 70’s?
B'muff in the north stand dec 71,some Brighton had to walk on the track to hook up with Brighton on the other side of the b'muff,they spulled down onto Brighton and fought around the goal mouth.Decent mob by all accounts.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
Before my time, but that was it.

The Plucky nsc’er who strangely disappeared about 2 years ago ???, was often rattling on about the day they beat Albion up in NS, made our fanbase run away and they kept it.

Does that reflect the events?

51 years on I realise.
It certainly doesn't reflect what happened.
The Bournemouth fans got into the NS very early, and repelled the initial attempts to chase them out.
However as the numbers of Brighton fans increased in the lead up to KO, the North Stand was taken back, and the B'mouth intruders were penned in against the fence on the East side of the North Stand.
After the match their coaches parked at the Greyhound Stadium were attacked and some windows were smashed.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Oh I’m not appreciating them in any way - but that will be what we’re facing in November as opposed to some coward who looks like he’s been dressed by Churchill Square’s marketing manager.

I’m sure we’re all ready. Right?
Slightly off topic, but my daughter's Brighton Scout troop had an exchange visit with a Dutch scout group. We all met up at the campsite near Poynings, and the Dutch were predictably huge specimens, about twice the size of the locals. There was some competitive wide game organised & the Dutch scouts just went ballistic- I'm surprised no English bones were broken or blood spilled. These were scouts FFS, not football hooligans. Be careful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
About 1978 I was in the NS, just 13 and passive, Millwall were the visitors. What did the NS hold at a packed game, 7,000?

Out of nowhere about 10 Millwall fans kicked off. Older than Albion hooligans, mid 40’s, huge dockers I’m guessing.

From what I could see the entire 7,000 were scared of them. Took dozens of coppers to prize them off of crash barriers and out of the stadium.
Despite all the laughable hyperbole from Brighton's (now aged) 'top boys', we were clearly and undeniably soft southerners. Anyone over the age of 18 who looked like they considered windmilling to be some sort of disco activity, and actually were there for fighting, were like the grown ups who suddenly appeared at the end of Lord of the Flies. The alien world of top tier football, something we had never been near. Fact.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Despite all the laughable hyperbole from Brighton's (now aged) 'top boys', we were clearly and undeniably soft southerners. Anyone over the age of 18 who looked like they considered windmilling to be some sort of disco activity, and actually were there for fighting, were like the grown ups who suddenly appeared at the end of Lord of the Flies. The alien world of top tier football, something we had never been near. Fact.

My Dad and I used to park down towards Woolworths Blatchington Road, by a small office Europa House.

A few times 76 to 79 we were walking back under the Conway Street tunnel when say 500 away fans would run down, followed by say 1,000 Albion. Huge numbers. Everyone took a left up those steps.

Anyone here part of it, did mass fighting take place at Hove Station?

Snowflake

Jan 11, 2018
It may have been mentioned, but I’m not going to read the whole thread. I thought it very amusing when they tried singing your just a shit crystal palace. When we were 3-1 up and when I looked, in 3rd place……. Not well thought out! it didnt last too long.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It may have been mentioned, but I’m not going to read the whole thread. I thought it very amusing when they tried singing your just a shit crystal palace. When we were 3-1 up and when I looked in 3rd place……. Not well thought out! it didnt get last too long.

After about 44 minutes I didn’t hear the stock dirge “Red Army” again.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My Dad and I used to park down towards Woolworths Blatchington Road, by a small office Europa House.

A few times 76 to 79 we were walking back under the Conway Street tunnel when say 500 away fans would run down, followed by say 1,000 Albion. Huge numbers. Everyone took a left up those steps.

1695589960593.png

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I was never a hooligan but I've been in Hove station against palace and there was fighting and police horses all over the place. Maybe '83-'87 sort of time? I appreciate that was after the stuff you mention though.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I know nothing about Bournemouth fans except for the blatant homophobic chants that a few of their brain dead supporters were singing on the train (which yes, I did call out.)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was never a hooligan but I've been in Hove station against palace and there was fighting and police horses all over the place. Maybe '83-'87 sort of time? I appreciate that was after the stuff you mention though.

The thing about 76 to 79 was huge gates, up to 33k plus those Bamber/Calver didn’t record. Probably little police intelligence, rudimentary tactics (the truncheon).

I remember seeing vast numbers of police minibuses in Hove Park, dozens of Norton bikes and the horses.

Travelling support could be vast. There was a tv doc where Manure took 10k to Carrow Road and wrecked it. Glasgow Rangers took 10,000’s to Old Trafford and Villa Park for friendlies, ‘taking’ the Stretford End and Holte End. Liverpool took 30k to Molyneux in May 76.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The thing about 76 to 79 was huge gates, up to 33k plus those Bamber/Calver didn’t record. Probably little police intelligence, rudimentary tactics (the truncheon).

I remember seeing vast numbers of police minibuses in Hove Park, dozens of Norton bikes and the horses.

Travelling support could be vast. There was a tv doc where Manure took 10k to Carrow Road and wrecked it. Glasgow Rangers took 10,000’s to Old Trafford and Villa Park for friendlies, ‘taking’ the Stretford End and Holte End. Liverpool took 30k to Molyneux in May 76.
The Carrow road incident, is that where they climbed onto the stand roof?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here