Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bought/brought confusion - The Argus hits a new low

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
A lot of people have not been taught the subject properly.

There are people i know who have told me that they will not post on NSC because they are poor at spelling and grammar and seen numerous times that other posters nit pick over this and it has stopped them joining.

If the schools failed to teach poeople correctly, how is ridiculing peoples contributions going to help. Looks more like one-up-man-ship to me and to others.

Not everyone cares how accurate their spelling or grammar is so why do some feel the need to go around correcting it. If it's not important enough for schools to teach it properly any more then why do a few keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than point out failings in others which almost comes across as bullying at times on NSC in the numerous threads that this sort of twaddle pops up on alomost on a daily basis.

You claim that it is done in jest, the funny thing about the written word is that it loses context and is almost impossible to work out if meant in jest or being serious and therefore i'd suggest that those whose spelling or grammar is amended tend to think it isn't being done in jest.

I suspect that the Argus writer is just another in a long line of people who haven't been taught the subject properly (hence the link to failing standards which never got a thread of it's own as a discussion) - blame the schools and question why they have failed so many, not the people making the mistakes because they were let down by a system.

In that case I suggest they are in the wrong job.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
I suspect that the Argus writer is just another in a long line of people who haven't been taught the subject properly (hence the link to failing standards which never got a thread of it's own as a discussion) - blame the schools and question why they have failed so many, not the people making the mistakes because they were let down by a system.

The reporters report the news. The sub-editors correct their spelling, grammar and facts, and the subs also write the headlines. The front-page headline is often sanctioned by the editor, or used to, because s/he wants to set the tone for that day's front-page news. This is what comes of asset-stripping, having the paper written in one town, but subbed and printed elsewhere.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Brighton and Hove Bus Company service cancelled due to fault

Breaking News

First published 07:29 Friday 26 September 2014 in News
by Flora Thompson

A BUS service has been cancelled this morning due to faults with the vehicle.

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove Bus Company said: “The number 5 service from Mackie Avenue, Brighton, at 0726 will start from the Old Steine at 0748 due to a defective bus. Apologies.”

“The next service is at 0738.”

This is their headline news story. Really? Really? This happens all day everyday.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
So you read The Argus...
mainly for the obituaries,

Me too, but the other day in this section it said: "Mars bar, Topic, Lion bar, Snickers, Finger of Fudge etc". I then realised I was reading the "a bit chewy" column. Easy mistake to make.

Thanks to Tim Vine for that one.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We spend a lot of money every month on newspapers and the bill used to include the Argus.

We now buy it once a fortnight at most, purely because the standards have slipped so much. If they don't care enough to do a good job why should we care enough to buy it?

We bought a copy this morning. There's a page lead report on a model railway exhibition in Worthing this weekend. Good for grandchildren. Unfortunately, the address of Durrington High School is wrong. Local subs would have picked this up.

We'll try again in a couple of weeks, and I have to say it's quite nice not to suffer Brian Owen's habitual misuse of the word 'admit' every morning.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Surely it should read "The day my fiends brung me back from the dead"

Two of my grandaughters were over for a holiday in August and they kept saying brung. Is this a new trend. I always thought it was a northern word.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It should've been brang.

I note that there latest story refers to Lady Cows - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10878678.Forty_lady_cows_try_and_break_into_Roedean_School_at_3am

Is cow an accepted colloquialism for the bovine species or should a paper be referring to them as cows as opposed to lady cows? The play on the fact that girls breaking in to the school could surely wait for the article.

fourty.png
try too.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here