Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bought/brought confusion - The Argus hits a new low

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
It seems increasingly common to see or hear people mistakenly use the word "brought" when they actually mean "bought", eg "I brought it in Tesco".

However, I don't think I've ever seen the reverse misuse of these words; until today. Step forward, The Argus:-

View attachment 47086

So, is this an Argus scoop about someone cheating death through the financial resources of his friends? Have these austere times impacted the Grim Reaper as much as the rest of us, and he is resorting to raising dough through selling potential targets back to the living?

Er, no - the headline should, of course, read "The day friends brought me back from the dead".

Is this part of an inexorable trend that will ultimately result in these words being used interchangeably, simply because people become ignorant of their original meanings?

So language and the meaning of words evolves over time and their meaning changes and this could soon be another example of the meanings being amended in the Oxford English Dictionary, (following words like Literally to include exaggerated boasts / claims which altered recently)

Maybe your just a dinosaur, stuck in the past and unwilling to move on and adapt to more modern times. I wonder if there was the same sort of criticism when spelling, etc evolved from Ye olde English, should it have read something like ...

Se dæg mín fréondléast áféded mec hrycg fram se déaþ ?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
It isn't even that difficult to remember, 'brought as in to bring, bought as in to buy.' It is the affect and effect I still can't get my head round.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
So language and the meaning of words evolves over time and their meaning changes and this could soon be another example of the meanings being amended in the Oxford English Dictionary, (following words like Literally to include exaggerated boasts / claims which altered recently)

Maybe your just a dinosaur, stuck in the past and unwilling to move on and adapt to more modern times. I wonder if there was the same sort of criticism when spelling, etc evolved from Ye olde English, should it have read something like ...

Se dæg mín fréondléast áféded mec hrycg fram se déaþ ?

This could be another one that may be amended too I reckon ;)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

I know, and that is why I posed exactly that thought (as a question) in my original post.

Maybe your just a dinosaur, stuck in the past and unwilling to move on and adapt to more modern times.

Maybe I AM a dinosaur. Did dinosaurs set high standards in spelling and grammar? Did they expect newspapers (whose entire business is centred around effective communication via the written word) to spell words correctly, and not misuse words?

Perhaps in these "modern times" spelling, grammar and getting things right no longer matter, in which case I must plead guilty to being "stuck in the past".

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It isn't even that difficult to remember, 'brought as in to bring, bought as in to buy.' It is the affect and effect I still can't get my head round.

Affect is always a verb. Effect is usually a noun; however, it can be used as a verb to mean to make happen. Eg 'Oscar effected a change in the Brighton tactics'.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
It seems increasingly common to see or hear people mistakenly use the word "brought" when they actually mean "bought", eg "I brought it in Tesco".

However, I don't think I've ever seen the reverse misuse of these words; until today. Step forward, The Argus:-

View attachment 47086

So, is this an Argus scoop about someone cheating death through the financial resources of his friends? Have these austere times impacted the Grim Reaper as much as the rest of us, and he is resorting to raising dough through selling potential targets back to the living?

Er, no - the headline should, of course, read "The day friends brought me back from the dead".

Is this part of an inexorable trend that will ultimately result in these words being used interchangeably, simply because people become ignorant of their original meanings?

Oh my word. Have you really gone to the trouble of starting a thread and attaching a pic to highlight the fact that a newspaper used the wrong word?

Unbelievable, why the hell would anybody care???

Move along, nothing to see here. :nono:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
They were talking of a county called Susses yesterday.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Oh my word. Have you really gone to the trouble of starting a thread and attaching a pic to highlight the fact that a newspaper used the wrong word?

Unbelievable, why the hell would anybody care???

Move along, nothing to see here. :nono:

It tends to be the dumber elements in society that condone dumbing down.....

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
Brought is the past tense of bring.
Bought is the past tense of buy.

i'm 90% sure this is correct.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
They can't spell, can't punctuate, have a poor habit of getting their grammar wrong and frequently fail to edit incorrectly placed photograhs. All in all the paper is a complete shambles. I confess that I still read it, mainly or obituaries, but the "on-line" version that is considerably cheaper. No surprise it is now based in Southampton. JV must be turning in his grave.

Subbed in Southampton. Blame them.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
It should've been brang.

I note that there latest story refers to Lady Cows - http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10878678.Forty_lady_cows_try_and_break_into_Roedean_School_at_3am

Is cow an accepted colloquialism for the bovine species or should a paper be referring to them as cows as opposed to lady cows? The play on the fact that girls breaking in to the school could surely wait for the article.

there latest story - you mean their
in to should be into

Sorry, just fancied a bit of subbing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here