Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bought/brought confusion - The Argus hits a new low

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Great, more posters who have to try to feel superior just because they are better at spelling and grammar than others, do you realise that there are fans that refuse to sign up and post on this site because they arn't great at it and feel that they will just have posters nit picking over their errors.

Not everyone was taught to the same high standards in these areas (i wasn't) but you get the impression it's the older posters who were and feel the need to rub evereyone else's nose in it. We as a country are falling further behind the rest of the World in English, Maths and Science (http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-...h-schools-international-league-tables/?page=3) and yet for how many years was it that exam passes and grades awarded were going up and up in this country? - demonstrating that it has been teaching for exam questions and not teaching a broad knowledge of a subject that has been the main method emplyed by teachers and the education system. - No wonder Grammer and spelling are so poor.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Oh my word. Have you really gone to the trouble of starting a thread and attaching a pic to highlight the fact that a newspaper used the wrong word?

Unbelievable, why the hell would anybody care???

Move along, nothing to see here. :nono:

Pathetic post

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Great, more posters who have to try to feel superior just because they are better at spelling and grammar than others, do you realise that there are fans that refuse to sign up and post on this site because they arn't great at it and feel that they will just have posters nit picking over their errors.

Not everyone was taught to the same high standards in these areas (i wasn't) but you get the impression it's the older posters who were and feel the need to rub evereyone else's nose in it. We as a country are falling further behind the rest of the World in English, Maths and Science (http://www.itv.com/news/story/2013-...h-schools-international-league-tables/?page=3) and yet for how many years was it that exam passes and grades awarded were going up and up in this country? - demonstrating that it has been teaching for exam questions and not teaching a broad knowledge of a subject that has been the main method emplyed by teachers and the education system. - No wonder Grammer and spelling are so poor.

Oh how dull spelling 'grammar'

170,000 a month view this site because it IS better than others

we make the standards and we make the rules and if you you don't abide by them you must be a fool

Standards rule OK

Dec 29, 2011

What an odd post. The 'nit picking' is over the local newspaper, the writers of which you'd expect not to be making basic errors such as the ones pointed out. I've rarely seen people on NSC correct each other (unless in jest), how many people is this supposedly putting off? ???

You then go on a separate rant about children being taught for exams, if that's the case why is it bad to show them correct grammar? How else are they going to learn it properly if the schools are apparently failing so badly and no one else is going to let them know they're doing it wrong. I'd personally love to know how to use 'effect' and 'affect'. I know they're they're a noun and verb respectively, but that doesn't help much. If there was a thread explaining the difference I'd be trying to understand it, not criticising the OP.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I'm still amazed about the recent time when hitony tried correct me for using the word 'atypical', not realising it's an actual word. Fool.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
What an odd post. The 'nit picking' is over the local newspaper, the writers of which you'd expect not to be making basic errors such as the ones pointed out. I've rarely seen people on NSC correct each other (unless in jest), how many people is this supposedly putting off? ???

You then go on a separate rant about children being taught for exams, if that's the case why is it bad to show them correct grammar? How else are they going to learn it properly if the schools are apparently failing so badly and no one else is going to let them know they're doing it wrong. I'd personally love to know how to use 'effect' and 'affect'. I know they're they're a noun and verb respectively, but that doesn't help much. If there was a thread explaining the difference I'd be trying to understand it, not criticising the OP.

A lot of people have not been taught the subject properly.

There are people i know who have told me that they will not post on NSC because they are poor at spelling and grammar and seen numerous times that other posters nit pick over this and it has stopped them joining.

If the schools failed to teach poeople correctly, how is ridiculing peoples contributions going to help. Looks more like one-up-man-ship to me and to others.

Not everyone cares how accurate their spelling or grammar is so why do some feel the need to go around correcting it. If it's not important enough for schools to teach it properly any more then why do a few keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than point out failings in others which almost comes across as bullying at times on NSC in the numerous threads that this sort of twaddle pops up on alomost on a daily basis.

You claim that it is done in jest, the funny thing about the written word is that it loses context and is almost impossible to work out if meant in jest or being serious and therefore i'd suggest that those whose spelling or grammar is amended tend to think it isn't being done in jest.

I suspect that the Argus writer is just another in a long line of people who haven't been taught the subject properly (hence the link to failing standards which never got a thread of it's own as a discussion) - blame the schools and question why they have failed so many, not the people making the mistakes because they were let down by a system.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Certain people, that have been on this site for years, now make a lot less mistakes than before. So you could argue that correcting mistakes can have a positive effect.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Certain people, that have been on this site for years, now make a lot less mistakes than before. So you could argue that correcting mistakes can have a positive effect.

*fewer*

:moo:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'd personally love to know how to use 'effect' and 'affect'. I know they're they're a noun and verb respectively, but that doesn't help much. If there was a thread explaining the difference I'd be trying to understand it, not criticising the OP.

Effect and affect are both verbs and nouns.

The most common usage, however, is effect as a noun and affect as a verb. Effect = the result. Affect = to influence, cause an effect. "The effect of drinking all day is a terrible hangover. "Drinking affects your ability to drive.

Hope that helps.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A lot of people have not been taught the subject properly.

There are people i know who have told me that they will not post on NSC because they are poor at spelling and grammar and seen numerous times that other posters nit pick over this and it has stopped them joining.

If the schools failed to teach poeople correctly, how is ridiculing peoples contributions going to help. Looks more like one-up-man-ship to me and to others.

Not everyone cares how accurate their spelling or grammar is so why do some feel the need to go around correcting it. If it's not important enough for schools to teach it properly any more then why do a few keyboard warriors with nothing better to do than point out failings in others which almost comes across as bullying at times on NSC in the numerous threads that this sort of twaddle pops up on alomost on a daily basis.

You claim that it is done in jest, the funny thing about the written word is that it loses context and is almost impossible to work out if meant in jest or being serious and therefore i'd suggest that those whose spelling or grammar is amended tend to think it isn't being done in jest.

I suspect that the Argus writer is just another in a long line of people who haven't been taught the subject properly (hence the link to failing standards which never got a thread of it's own as a discussion) - blame the schools and question why they have failed so many, not the people making the mistakes because they were let down by a system.

Are people being 'ridiculed'?

Or are others being more helpful in correcting an error - which may be appreciated if, as you claim, English was taught to them so badly?

It's an interesting perspective you have.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If people have a problem with grammar, that is they're problem. There the ones in the wrong and their is nothing wrong with correcting them

:dunce:

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me

Perhaps you have a point but I see it more as bullying. Maybe not in this instance as it is aimed at a newspaper but certainly in situations where an individual is targeted.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
The idea of having a journalist without spelling, grammar and punctuation skills is just laughable. If the Argus is happy to employ people without these skills then it is no surprise their readership is declining.
Whilst I wouldn't be happy with people taking the p**s out of posters without these skills, our newspapers should be setting an example, and help to improve these skills in its readership.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Argus

The idea of having a journalist without spelling, grammar and punctuation skills is just laughable. If the Argus is happy to employ people without these skills then it is no surprise their readership is declining.
Whilst I wouldn't be happy with people taking the p**s out of posters without these skills, our newspapers should be setting an example, and help to improve these skills in its readership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here