Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson to campaign to leave the EU

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The timing was around a day after David Cameron got his deal. Up until that point, no-one knew just what those terms would be. It is entirely possible that Boris wanted to see if he was prepared to back the deal or if it was unpalatable. Nothing wrong or odd in that.

Correct, and as i stated previously his decision was fairly quick because the terms were paltry and very few.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Will a career on the sidelines with just a few minor directorships be his fate if it all goes wrong?

I'm assuming you've achieved more than running the UK's largest city ? Ah, of course not !

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
what timing?
Boris continually said he would say where he stood after Cameron had finished with the "deal" negotiations.

Come off it. How much time does a senior Conservatuve politician need to make up on an issue which has dominated the Tories for decades? It's blatant opportunism. He's doing what he thinks will give him the best chance of being the next Tory leader.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Come off it. How much time does a senior Conservatuve politician need to make up on an issue which has dominated the Tories for decades? It's blatant opportunism. He's doing what he thinks will give him the best chance of being the next Tory leader.

listen to his press conference,he answers this question better than i can

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It's not just about the referendum though, is it. It's also about politicians jockeying for position and power. Boris also has an eye on a leadership challenge. How naive can you be?...

you stick with the panto side act then,i prefer to stay with the substance of the EU issue

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This is very good news as he's a big figure indeed although personally I'd like to think most people can put two and two together and decide for themselves without the drama of campaigns.

Good news for whom, exactly? I think it will be the end of his political career.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm assuming you've achieved more than running the UK's largest city ? Ah, of course not !

Vegster wasn't actually commenting on the success of Boris Johnson's career to date, he was merely commenting on where his decision today might lead. Your comment is therefore a bit of a non-sequitur.

larus

Meant as a mildly humerous response to BJ's position but at the same time BJ has no interest in anything but promoting his political ambitions and if he has decided these are best served by leaving the EU then its probably a decent reason as any to stay in. But arent all elections a bit X factor like? We usually vote for those who we trust most (or distruct the least) to do the best for the country/family/our own self interest etc. In this particular instance I trust Cameron, Corbyn and Sturgeon far more than Johnson

With respect; that's some of the most sanctimonious BS I've read on here. You TRUST Cameron, Corbyn and Sturgeon. Right you do.

No, what you mean is - You want to stay in (that's not your fault), and as they agree with you, you can trust them. But, anyone who doesn't agree with your view, you can't trust.

There you go. Cleared that up for you.

topbanana36

Dec 29, 2007
New Zealand
My question is this. Why doesn't any true self respecting British man or women want their country's sovereignty back, their country's ability to govern themselves and their country's ability to trade with the rest of the world. It just baffles the brain how some people are content with being dictated to by a bunch of unelected fools. Roll on independence day 23rd June :)

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's a bit of a cop out answer. Do you seriously think he's not being opportunistic?

If he stands behind Cameron and the government he gets a cabinet position when his Mayoral tenure comes to an end and gets a chance to establish himself as a serious leadership contender.

The route he has taken is extremely risky as the smart money is on us staying in. If this happens he will most likely remain a back bench MP marginalised although his support amongst the grass roots will be increased.

Damned as opportunistic if he goes for either camp. I think he has genuine concerns about the EU which he developed over several years working in Brussels as a correspondent.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Taking a principled stand versus blatant career opportunism. It's certainly a calculated risk on his part, but I'd say it is 1% from Column A and 99% from Column B.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
My question is this. Why doesn't any true self respecting British man or women want their country's sovereignty back, their country's ability to govern themselves and their country's ability to trade with the rest of the world. It just baffles the brain how some people are content with being dictated to by a bunch of unelected fools. Roll on independence day 23rd June :)

This

D

Deleted member 22389

I have been asking myself this very question for the last 6 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here