Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boris Johnson to campaign to leave the EU

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Totally agree. I've read a lot about the potential damage to the City and this seems like a particularly reckless move from someone putting his own ambition over London.
Yeah, either that, or he's campaigning for what he believes in. I think it's the latter. We're strong odds on to stay in, so it's more likely that people would back the IN camp for their careers.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
So the biggest vote in your lifetime is based around not liking someone?

This is a referendum not the bloody xfactor???

:clap:well said

unbelievable some people are judging such a momentous decision on how others are voting and not on issues.

perhaps we should find out how Joey Essex is voting so we can make a better decision

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Interesting...very interesting...

In all honesty I would have taken Boris as an Inner.

But even if he was personally deciding on Out, this is a hell of a challenge to Cameron, and the timing of his announcement, on the eve of Cameron's statement to the Commons, is a huge kick in the teeth for the PM, a hugely provocative thing to do. Gove and Fox are one thing, expected, this is on another level. Is there any way to interpret this other than a pure naked political challenge?

has the EU Referendum suddenly morphed into a Tory party leadership election??

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Bloody hell. Bojo is by far and away the most popular politician in the UK. Whatever you or I may think of him he is a serious heavyweight within the Tory party and is clearly putting himself in place to be PM when Dave clears off.

Yesterday I was pretty sure that we would stay in the EU. Now I really think we might be out.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Speaking to Breitbart London earlier this week, David Cameron’s former chief of staff Alex Deane urged Mr. Johnson – lovably known as ‘Boris’ to most Londoners and politicos across the United Kingdom: “It is now clear that the Prime Minister’s European Union renegotiation is ‘thin gruel’, and that the powers that be across the European Union’s institutions have no intention of ever making the desperately needed, sweeping reforms that the union needs. With this, members of all parties, and especially the Conservative Party, need a champion with significant, mass appeal, political and cultural clout, to represent our dissatisfaction with the failure of the government to meaningfully deliver on its manifesto pledge of reform in our relationship with the EU.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
This is very good news as he's a big figure indeed although personally I'd like to think most people can put two and two together and decide for themselves without the drama of campaigns.

The BBC and Sky evidently don't think so. Is his vote representing his party? London? The UK? No, no and no. He's one person, who speaks for himself - and himself only - so why give his opinion so much prominence over, say, the other 48m eligible to vote?

What does his popularity have to do with news? It's good for the 'OUT' campaign, but that should be about it.

... of which it now comes down to - bearing in mind how pisspoorly people are clued up on international politics, international law (many still can't tell the difference between the EU, the Council of Europe and Eurovision), and that there will be hysterical claims on both sides, the X-Factor is probably a better comparison.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The 'In' camp always state that if we left the EU most of the global headquarters in London would relocate with the loss of jobs. If the Mayor of London (and also potential future Tory mayor, Zack Goldsmith) are confident enough to defy DC and they back us leaving, is there any concern that this would materialise? Surely the mayor of our capital should be fighting tooth and nail for us to remain in, and protect those HQ and jobs they create?

Yours

Confused of Bevendean
Didn't the Tories last election campaign say that if Labour got in many top businesses would pull out of the UK too?
It's standard scaremongering, if The City gets decimated,whatever happens, there will still be thousands of people employed making coffee for Costa, Starbucks et al and delivering groceries for Sainsburys and Asda so we will be fine.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Is there any way to interpret this other than a pure naked political challenge?

has the EU Referendum suddenly morphed into a Tory party leadership election??

Yes there is,its just different views on our direction concerning Europe,
and
No it hasnt,some people might see something in it,but the important issue is the EU.......dont let the media fool and distract you

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Now we'll see some fireworks. It wouldn't surprise me if the rest of the EU suddenly offer a load more concessions. They bent over backwards to keep Greece in. I imagine the UK going would cause a terminal breakdown as French nationalists will want a bit of the action too.

It's that old Chinese curse... "May you live in interesting times"

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Meant as a mildly humerous response to BJ's position but at the same time BJ has no interest in anything but promoting his political ambitions and if he has decided these are best served by leaving the EU then its probably a decent reason as any to stay in. But arent all elections a bit X factor like? We usually vote for those who we trust most (or distruct the least) to do the best for the country/family/our own self interest etc. In this particular instance I trust Cameron, Corbyn and Sturgeon far more than Johnson
Yes it's all a big drama when discussing politicians as I've mentioned previously and stated that people shouldn't really need well known figures to change their mind.
Personally I hate everything about the EU and I see many countries throughout with high unemployment and poverty galore.Having people leaving their country for a better life and work seems plausible,but it only benefits the richer countries and I don't see the EU doing anything about it.
My hope is that the whole European Union collapses and countries can go back to having their identity preserved rather than the big wigs in the EU destroying what's great about these countries because of greed and financial gain.
Everything is becoming financial based to stay in and it's getting ridiculous...
Landlords want more and more migrants as they can squash them into houses in large numbers.
Companies want more and more migrants so they can pay the minimum wage
I'd prefer us to leave and focus on building up our infrastructure within and to stop making cut after cut...booming economy and our services are being cut and billions shipped abroad each year.
It goes on and on and on and on...always good to have different opinions wether you prefer in or out :)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

But what is Boris's back story? Was he forced to learn French at gunpoint? Was he deprived of affection by a stern German nanny? We need to know how much he will give to follow his dream and will this be his only chance of fulfilment..... Will a career on the sidelines with just a few minor directorships be his fate if it all goes wrong?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Well done Boris. I'm right behind you.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
But the timing....
The timing was around a day after David Cameron got his deal. Up until that point, no-one knew just what those terms would be. It is entirely possible that Boris wanted to see if he was prepared to back the deal or if it was unpalatable. Nothing wrong or odd in that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here