Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloom speaks...

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
I'm about half-way through now. So far, the thing that's irritated me is his answering of a different question when asked why Garcia left. He only said he'd 'decided he didn't want to stay with Brighton'. We know that already. If he'd not wanted to answer that question, I'd much rather he just said "I don't want to answer that question directly." Otherwise it seems like obfuscation, which is one of the criticisms we level at the club's administration as it is. Otherwise, I'd say he's being reasonably honest and fairly open, within the limitations of what can and can't be said at times like this.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
"Oscar liked to delegate..."

I heard he didn't coach players directly, and barely spoke to some of them from one week to the next. Shocking, really.

He's starting to look more and more like a panic appointment made last summer: plainly out of his depth and in a rather bigger job than he realized.

Of course, that raises questions about how the Poyet situation was handled last year. But anyway.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Poyet bad, Oscar good - brilliant, in fact. Flair. Young Spanish players. we'll definitely go up now.

Oh wait, Oscar bad. Next bloke ...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Well it certainly explains why the recruitment strategy was arse about face. Clearly the two main protagonists were unable to communicate. No surprise there.

Chris001

Mar 30, 2011
The main take away points for me:

Why did Oscar leave? He simply doesn't want to be with us.
Communication between Oscar and the board was very poor, Oscar would change his mind and things would change.
Oscar didn't have many player targets on his list - those that were on the list were outside of the pay structure or unavailable.
Rodrigez was one of Oscars and it sadly didn't work out.
Grabban deal was taken as far as we could take it, Bournemouth offered him a silly deal to stay. Oscar was upset, thinking the deal was done - it wasn't.
Meeting regarding FFP in 10 days time, the result of this will shape our playing budget for next season.
Lots of interesting candidates, won't hurry and wants to get the best manager possible.
His management team are doing a good job.
We will continue to operate within our budget - sanity rather than vanity.
Our goal remains to reach the PL.
He came across very well, I didn't feel he was peed off like others have suggested - emotionally intelligent, clear and said more than I expected.

Miffy

Jun 18, 2013
Applications from players who have just retired and played at the top of the game...

Wonder who?

image.jpg

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I like Oscar and I like Tony.
Why do people have to back the manager one day and turn against him the next?
Two sides to every story.
And now we move on.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
So let me get this right.

Poyet was too much of an extrovert for Bloom.

Garcia was too much of an introvert for Bloom.

So basically the next appointment will be somewhere in the middle

Maybe

Malcolm McKay
Christopher Powell
Gianfranco Zola
Christopher Hughton
Edward Howe

Ruled Out

William Davies
Timothy Sherwood
Darren Ferguson
Neil Warnock

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Maybe it was Oscar neither being in his office nor answering his phone on transfer deadline day.

That would be "difficult to communicate with" I imagine.

Unforgivable, Should have told him to clear his desk there and then, same as with Poyet last March when he walked in and said he wanted out.
Why are we hanging onto these guys for the key part of the season AND letting them call the shots when they don't to want to be here

If bin liner and half an hour was enough for me, it's enough for them

Once bitten, twice shy ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I will probably get slammed for this but;

I didn’t warm to the interview tbh and he sort of shifted all the blame onto Oscar instead of accepting that some bad decisions were made by the club at key moments.

It could be debated that the club should have gone an extra yard with Grabban and Conway and it had a massive knock on effect by missing out. For starters we may have won a playoff place weeks before the end of the season, thus giving Upson and Greer a few games off to recover as Greer was also carrying an injury in the Derby game. We may not have won promotion but we could have got to Wembley, and once you are there anything can happen.

Getting Conway on loan would not have been a massive commitment for a few months and we are seeing now that Cardiff have offered £3m for Grabban, so it would have still been very good business even if we sold him. There is nothing wrong with making wrong decisions but they were sliding door moments which didn’t give Oscar any confidence, and left him with more questions than answers about what we really wanted. Both of these players had storming ends to their season.

Oscar was brought here because he is quiet and not media hungry, exactly what Bloom needed last year so he cannot have it both ways.

Still, it’s his club, money and decisions but nobody is perfect, I just wish he had accepted that the club played a part in Oscar wanting to leave as it would have felt more honest.

Wow, you've changed. A year ago your posts read like you were a member of Bloom's inner sanctum!

Naylor

Bloom interview

Interviewer "Some suggestions he was unhappy with certain aspects.....to do with recruitment"

TB "He wanted certain players but he didn't communicate what he wanted and things would change....."

(not in the interview but I've heard not re-signing Conway was a good example of this btw)

TB "Rodriguez was one of Oscars MAIN Targets."

Interviewer "It's been suggested Oscar had his own list of players that you were unable to get"

TB "Yeah, that's not true at all."

Thanks for responding! I think there is confusion in time period though - the Naylor reference refers to when Oscar arrives. Was a lowly player like D Rod on that list, you think?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Unforgivable, Should have told him to clear his desk there and then, same as with Poyet last March when he walked in and said he wanted out.
Why are we hanging onto these guys for the key part of the season AND letting them call the shots when they don't to want to be here

If bin liner and half an hour was enough for me, it's enough for them

Once bitten, twice shy ?

Assuming it's accurate of course. There's a chance Bozza is just causing mischief/playing devil's advocate, there's a chance he genuinely heard that, but that the person who told him was either deliberately lying to paint Oscar as at fault, or is passing on rumour and innuendo. Much like all those people who claimed they heard from sources Oscar refused to speak to Grabban and that's why the deal fell through, yet apparently (I've not listened, but someone above posted) Bloom confirms Oscar did speak to Grabban.

With respect to Bozza, even the things he hears from sources shouldn't automatically be taken as fact and used as a stick to beat Oscar (or whoever) with.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Let's just hope it's not this vile little man

y5u8y7em.jpg

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
Naylor

Bloom interview

Interviewer "Some suggestions he was unhappy with certain aspects.....to do with recruitment"

TB "He wanted certain players but he didn't communicate what he wanted and things would change....."

(not in the interview but I've heard not re-signing Conway was a good example of this btw)

TB "Rodriguez was one of Oscars MAIN Targets."

Interviewer "It's been suggested Oscar had his own list of players that you were unable to get"

TB "Yeah, that's not true at all."

Hmm, interesting that he said this, but he then proceeded to explain that there was a list, but the players were not available, so in a way it was sort of true.

What we don't know is how realistic the list was.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Poor Old Oscar. Loved by all the fans one minute, and as soon as he's out the door, the trashing starts. Anyone would think there's a deliberate campaign going to change fan perceptions? Surely not! :)

I'm pleased Oscar has gone but the PR "anti" campaign is hilarious

I'm sure Oscar will have his say, and explain why he told players he was leaving straight after the play-offs, what went wrong with the Grabban transfer, why he fell out with Augustein etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here