Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black managers

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You think not? - The very job he is in now, he was initially overlooked for and the job given to Sammy Hypia who had little or no experience at the time. Another perfect example of a black manager not even given an interview initially and a relatively sucessful one at that. Arguably also with one of the best records of any manager in Championship games

Absolute nonsense. EVERYONE was overlooked because until it all went wrong in Germany, Hyypia had guided Leverkusen to the Champions League, two years running.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Are you suggesting that the reason he didnt get an initial job interview was because he was black ?

I was responding to a quote which I highlighted - However, in answer to your question. No I don't think that at all

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I think the problem is though that black players believe they won't be given the same opportuntites as coaches as white players so there is no point taking the coaching badges. Whether it is true or not that black coaches don't get given the jobs the perception that there is bias needs to be addressed.
I agree , this can be done by the aforementioned black players losing their victim mentality and getting on with it like everybody else.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I agree , this can be done by the aforementioned black players losing their victim mentality and getting on with it like everybody else.

You are correct that some do have that mentality but it is not an issue with only black people. I have a brother who has the same sort of ''victim mentality'' - I also find a lot of people in Liverpool have it, thinking the world owes them a living.

A victim mentality lives within the individual person, not in the colour of their skin

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You think not? - The very job he is in now, he was initially overlooked for and the job given to Sammy Hypia who had little or no experience at the time. Another perfect example of a black manager not even given an interview initially and a relatively sucessful one at that. Arguably also with one of the best records of any manager in Championship games

Absolute rubbish, Rosler was interviewed this time round and didnt get the job, was that anti german?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I was responding to a quote which I highlighted - However, in answer to your question. No I don't think that at all

CH has never had an issue getting a job though, that is what I said

Was at Spurs for years (where he is loved) , was let go when Jol was sacked as Ramos wanted to bring in his own men.

Went to Newcastle 5 months later

Made newcastle manager after being caretaker for a while

Sacked by a idiot of a chairman (not racist, just an idiot)

Took over Birmingham in June that year

Head hunted by Norwich at the end of the season

Sacked in April 14 as the had a terrible season and his signings did not work

8 months later at Brighton

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Absolute rubbish, Rosler was interviewed this time round and didnt get the job, was that anti german?

Where is your comparisons ? The theme of my post is a black manager overlooked even for an interview for a job. You post quotes a white man actually being interviewed for the job but not being successful. it could be argued that the colour of his skin got Rosler through the door and into the interview process but i am sure that was not the case.

I actually know the reason CH wasn't initially interviewed when Hypia got the job and it was nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

On a seperate not the pervious post by Big Gully when he said yes I hope so that it was ''anti german'' when Rosler didn't get the job........Brilliant , made me laugh

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
CH has never had an issue getting a job though, that is what I said

Was at Spurs for years (where he is loved) , was let go when Jol was sacked as Ramos wanted to bring in his own men.

Went to Newcastle 5 months later

Made newcastle manager after being caretaker for a while

Sacked by a idiot of a chairman (not racist, just an idiot)

Took over Birmingham in June that year

Head hunted by Norwich at the end of the season

Sacked in April 14 as the had a terrible season and his signings did not work

8 months later at Brighton

I don't actually need to see CH's CV. I know it very well. All that you say is accurate except the following point

''was let go when Jol was sacked as Ramos wanted to bring in his own men''

Thats not true. He was sacked on the very same day as Martin Jol - So the Jaunde Ramos wanting his own men had nothing to do with his sacking

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't actually need to see CH's CV. I know it very well. All that you say is accurate except the following point

''was let go when Jol was sacked as Ramos wanted to bring in his own men''

Thats not true. He was sacked on the very same day as Martin Jol - So the Jaunde Ramos wanting his own men had nothing to do with his sacking

Ramos was in place before Jol was sacked off.

I imagine his terms were already in place as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Both had very succesful careers whether you rated them or not both black so I would say they are in a position to comment seeing it from both sides.

Dyer comes across as thick as shit though. I might listen to him on issues of kicking a football in a straight line but nothing else.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think a big problem with discussions like this (and similarly sexism, homophobia etc) is that people have an image of racism as always being an overt conscious decision, an obvious and distinct opinion of one race being better or worse. It isn't always like that.

A chairman might in all walks of life not be that sort of racist, they don't look at an application and think 'black? no thank you', but it doesn't mean there isn't some subconscious aversion to a black man as their manager.

As to the idea that managers will feel they didn't get the interview on merit,

Ferdinand told Sky Sports: 'We're not saying you have to give anybody the job - we're just saying "give us an interview" - that's all.

'It's just a case of being able to sit down and put your credentials on the table. At the moment we're not even getting that chance.

'People often talk and say "I'm not racist" and don't even realise that they are being racist because they won't give you that opportunity.

'You may have already decided who your next manager is going to be but if I sit down in front of you I might impress you so much that you might recommend me to someone else.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...style-law-combat-lack-diversity-football.html
From this sky sports interview http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-football-les-ferdinand-calls-for-rooney-rule (I think)

The rooney rule doesn't mean you get the job, it means you get an interview. If you get the job, it's on merit. I think I'd get over the idea I only got the interview so they can fill a quota if I got to pursue the career I want out of it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ramos was in place before Jol was sacked off.

I imagine his terms were already in place as well.

CH survived about 10 managers being sacked all of whom brought in their own staff. Daniel levy always insisted that Chris stayed so if he wanted Chris to be part of Ramos backroom team he could have insisted on it again

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Have to agree with those who think that this is an over stated problem. In order to judge we need to know how many black applicants there are of equal qualification as the successful candidate. Fans don't care . It is a non issue , we barely notice such things. Nobody would prefer a white (Finnish) Sami to what we have now.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think a big problem with discussions like this (and similarly sexism, homophobia etc) is that people have an image of racism as always being an overt conscious decision, an obvious and distinct opinion of one race being better or worse. It isn't always like that.

A chairman might in all walks of life not be that sort of racist, they don't look at an application and think 'black? no thank you', but it doesn't mean there isn't some subconscious aversion to a black man as their manager.

As to the idea that managers will feel they didn't get the interview on merit,

Ferdinand told Sky Sports: 'We're not saying you have to give anybody the job - we're just saying "give us an interview" - that's all.

'It's just a case of being able to sit down and put your credentials on the table. At the moment we're not even getting that chance.

'People often talk and say "I'm not racist" and don't even realise that they are being racist because they won't give you that opportunity.

'You may have already decided who your next manager is going to be but if I sit down in front of you I might impress you so much that you might recommend me to someone else.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...style-law-combat-lack-diversity-football.html
From this sky sports interview http://www.skysports.com/football/n...-football-les-ferdinand-calls-for-rooney-rule (I think)

The rooney rule doesn't mean you get the job, it means you get an interview. If you get the job, it's on merit. I think I'd get over the idea I only got the interview so they can fill a quota if I got to pursue the career I want out of it.

What a perfect summary

Racism some people do not even recognise it within themselves. Look at Ron Atinson ffs. he brought more black players to the forefront of football than any other manager in the 1970s and then look how he was eventually exposed.

He then made the comment smoke screen comment that a lot of racist people use , ''I dont care if you are black, white green or blue'' Well Mr Atkinson I have news for you. There isn't any green men or blue men in this world

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I think that there are obviously some issues somewhere, but by the laws of averages you will always have some chairmen that are racists and some that are sexists etc.

For me this has only really become an issue in the recent past, as such there hasn't been a lot of time for there to be a catch up. Some people 9in football not this thread) seem to think that there should be a representative number of black or ethnic minority managers over night, however as has been alluded to there aren't many doing the courses. This may be because of historic racism, it may be cultural. However, it will be one of the reasons we haven;t got many coaches as a lot given the jobs have the experience already and are the easy choice. For me a lot of chairmen don't take a big gamble on someone with no experience and as such there will be less black managers at the moment. As the current crop start to retire and the promising black coaches come through then we will (in my opinion) start to see a bit more equality.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What a perfect summary

Racism some people do not even recognise it within themselves. Look at Ron Atinson ffs. he brought more black players to the forefront of football than any other manager in the 1970s and then look how he was eventually exposed.

He then made the comment smoke screen comment that a lot of racist people use , ''I dont care if you are black, white green or blue'' Well Mr Atkinson I have news for you. There isn't any green men or blue men in this world

If as you say Big Ron 'brought more black players to the forefront of football than any other manager in the 1970s' does one racial slur undermine all this ? He apparently didn't care what colour anyone was as long as they were good enough to do the job.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Some white managers actually even get given the jobs even without having their coaching badges. Perfect example of this was when Dennis wise was given the Millwall job several years ago. He had no qualifications then. The same happened with gareth southgate when he got the Middlesbrough job

Were coaching badges obligatory then as you had managers who managed and coaches who coached Did Brian Clough, Don Revie George Graham and such like have coaching badges?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If as you say Big Ron 'brought more black players to the forefront of football than any other manager in the 1970s' does one racial slur undermine all this ? He apparently didn't care what colour anyone was as long as they were good enough to do the job.

One racial slur you say. It was no surprise to people within football when that came out on air. He continually made racist comments and jokes about people. On top of that didn't he actually get either warned or thrown of celebrity Big brother for another racist comment

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here