Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black managers

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Exactly. And [MENTION=31796]alfredmizen[/MENTION] is right too - get the badges, then if there is still an anomaly we'll take you seriously.

I think the problem is though that black players believe they won't be given the same opportuntites as coaches as white players so there is no point taking the coaching badges. Whether it is true or not that black coaches don't get given the jobs the perception that there is bias needs to be addressed.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think the problem is though that black players believe they won't be given the same opportuntites as coaches as white players so there is no point taking the coaching badges. Whether it is true or not that black coaches don't get given the jobs the perception that there is bias needs to be addressed.

Well thats a pretty damning racial slur ....................

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That may or may not be true, and until black players take these coaching badges and find they're not being given opportunities, we'll never know. What I do object to is Troy Townsend's thinly veiled remarks (as highlighted by [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION]) that black people are being fired because they're black, as opposed to your concern that they are not being given an opportunity in the first place.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
That may or may not be true, and until black players take these coaching badges and find they're not being given opportunities, we'll never know. What I do object to is Troy Townsend's thinly veiled remarks (as highlighted by [MENTION=23795]Hugo Rune[/MENTION]) that black people are being fired because they're black, as opposed to your concern that they are not being given an opportunity in the first place.

It's a chicken and egg thing though, so you have to find a way to break the cycle. I like the Rooney rule, it's not forcing people to employ anyone but it would help combat perceptions of racism. As for Troy Townsend , well managers are generally treated like shit whatever their background, I'm not sure Powell or Ramsay would have been treated any differently if they were white.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I find this incredibly dull now, managers are not getting jobs/fired because they are black.

Powell had won 3 games all season, budget restraints or not that is poor and other managers would be fired for better results.

Townsend is not helping anyone with his comments, it means people are not taking it seriously and if there was a case to be answered for no one would believe him.

Ince/Barnes/Curle had been some of the most vocal managers claiming they had not been given a chance, they are all poor managers with a list of failure behind them.

If someone like CH came out and said it, you may take notice, oddly he has never had a issue in getting a job though.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I just don't get it.

1 I couldn't ever imagine a thought process where you wouldn't interview a manager because of the colour of his/her skin.

2 I couldn't imagine the emarassment of being invited to an interview either KNOWING or suspecting I was only there to fulfil a quota. Even if I HAD been invited there purely on my skills it would be CONSTANTLY in the back of my mind.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
So, 90 out of 92 chairman are racist, ok then. Of all the managers I have worked for, I think two were black, so that means my other 20 or so white managers bosses were also racist...Mmmm

When they spout this shit, do they actually think about the FACT there are only a possible 92 jobs in football league management in the whole of England?

I work in IT and there are very few women in my job but there are plenty of black guys, maybe we should get rid of a few black guys to allow more women in![emoji6]

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The problem is that football as an industry is dysfunctional.

I couldnt imagine a more likely workplace environment where bad practice is generally believed to be sound practice, in the main the only necessary qualification for the custodians of a club is wealth and of their staff some cosy low level qualification that takes the commitment of a sound grade 4 CSE in home economics.

If you have a gripe for whatever reason then there will be an example of it somewhere to someone.

The only reason it doesnt implode is because too many unskilled persons are being overpaid, whilst those paying them receive some level of celebrity their wealth alone cannot possibly ever deliver.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Out of the 44 players taking the part one UEFA coaching course at St Georges park this summer 41 were white, that might give you a clue as to the lack of black managers.if you havent got the qualifications , you arent going to get the job.

Some white managers actually even get given the jobs even without having their coaching badges. Perfect example of this was when Dennis wise was given the Millwall job several years ago. He had no qualifications then. The same happened with gareth southgate when he got the Middlesbrough job

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The ones playing the race card are shite black managers like Paul Ince and John Barnes who can't get another job.

I am in agreement there. They got opportunities and they both failed. I don't just blanketly say, ''give black managers jobs'' What i say id give them equal opportunities when applying for the job

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I find this incredibly dull now, managers are not getting jobs/fired because they are black.

Powell had won 3 games all season, budget restraints or not that is poor and other managers would be fired for better results.

Townsend is not helping anyone with his comments, it means people are not taking it seriously and if there was a case to be answered for no one would believe him.

Ince/Barnes/Curle had been some of the most vocal managers claiming they had not been given a chance, they are all poor managers with a list of failure behind them.

If someone like CH came out and said it, you may take notice, oddly he has never had a issue in getting a job though.

You think not? - The very job he is in now, he was initially overlooked for and the job given to Sammy Hypia who had little or no experience at the time. Another perfect example of a black manager not even given an interview initially and a relatively sucessful one at that. Arguably also with one of the best records of any manager in Championship games

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You think not? - The very job he is in now, he was initially overlooked for and the job given to Sammy Hypia who had little or no experience at the time. Another perfect example of a black manager not even given an interview initially and a relatively sucessful one at that. Arguably also with one of the best records of any manager in Championship games

Are you suggesting that the reason he didnt get an initial job interview was because he was black ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here