[Politics] Black Lives Matters on shirts

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
EaVGNRcWsAAyL4i.jpg

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The number is enough to identity people and there won't be anyone there anyway - so I don't see a problem with it. Football often does this kind of gesture for many causes - and it's not like anyone disagrees with the sentiment (as against the extremes of the political movement).

I think the whole "taking the knee" thing is fairly silly in the UK (we don't have the national anthem before a game so at what point do they do it?) but if people want to signal agreement with the slogan on the back of their shirts then fair enough. There is no way to tell in what they mean the agreement anyway - and if everyone does it (which I suspect they will) then it becomes somewhat meaningless after a few months.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Enraging reactionary gammon numpties isn't a good idea though. I wish the left would learn that.
Brexit, Boris Johnson and Trump is so far all it has achieved.

Good point. Engaging with hearts and minds is good.

Although . . . . I am referring to those whose votes are forever blue. To me, gammon is the mindset that will always come up with a quip along the lines of 'well that Blair Peach did have a thin skull' and 'What was that Lawrence boy doing out that late anyway?'.

**** 'em.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bordering on racism against whites? You complete...dimwit.

I can't tell you how hard it was to persuade myself not to write what I wanted to.

I am less offended by the opening post than the 9 people who gave it a thumbs up.

I am used to people with entrenched polarised racially offensive views. However people who blindly follow them just shows how easily led people are.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What did the groundsman use to mark out that centre line? A truck tyre?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The number is enough to identity people and there won't be anyone there anyway - so I don't see a problem with it. Football often does this kind of gesture for many causes - and it's not like anyone disagrees with the sentiment (as against the extremes of the political movement).

I think the whole "taking the knee" thing is fairly silly in the UK (we don't have the national anthem before a game so at what point do they do it?) but if people want to signal agreement with the slogan on the back of their shirts then fair enough. There is no way to tell in what they mean the agreement anyway - and if everyone does it (which I suspect they will) then it becomes somewhat meaningless after a few months.

Every time a player ties a shoelace, excited commentators will salivate that we’re witnessing a real life ‘taking the knee’.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am less offended by the opening post than the 9 people who gave it a thumbs up.

I am used to people with entrenched polarised racially offensive views. However people who blindly follow them just shows how easily led people are.

I hope they gave their thumbs up to the "politics and sport should not mix imho" part and not the "racism against white" part, since that would need an entire different level of stupidity.

It's like accusing some "Help homeless kids" organisation for wanting to slaugther every kid with a roof above their hed.

Phoenix011

Nov 28, 2018
I hope they gave their thumbs up to the "politics and sport should not mix imho" part and not the "racism against white" part, since that would need an entire different level of stupidity.

It's like accusing some "Help homeless kids" organisation for wanting to slaugther every kid with a roof above their hed.

Agree with what you said, however i don't understand the keep politics out of sport argument since politics and football have been entwined for over a century now, maybe even more. Games like El Classico and the old firm would be lesser without the politics that surround them in my opinion, also many clubs like St Pauli and Barcelona have politically represented their cities.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Nothing against it but the timing just comes across of jumping on the bandwagon. 3 weeks back they were all for making football returning a celebration of the NHS.

A one week gesture and then what ?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Agree with what you said, however i don't understand the keep politics out of sport argument since politics and football have been entwined for over a century now, maybe even more. Games like El Classico and the old firm would be lesser without the politics that surround them in my opinion, also many clubs like St Pauli and Barcelona have politically represented their cities.

I agree. Just saying its a more logical opinion to have than the "BLM is racism against white's" one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here