Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I do struggle with this (somewhat blue and white tinted) notion that we are a good and apparently relatively uniquely attractive proposition for players because we will ‘allow’ them to leave, and with our best wishes, should a bigger fish be circling.

All players are passing through and using clubs as a stepping stone. Dunk didn’t think ten years ago that he would spend his career at the Albion. It’s just how it worked out. We got better and better and matched his improvement. If at any point he had outpaced us he would have gone. You don’t get to keep players who are at a higher level. We have now reached a point where the jump to the next level is the most difficult of the lot.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Bissouma? I always thought we would get less than the £50M many were talking about on here. I'd have thought around £35M would have been about par for the course - maybe £40 if we were lucky. Mind you, I was expecting/hoping for a bidding war, which never (overtly anyway) materialised.

No comment on Mane - I haven't been following that saga closely enough. What's your idea of a price for Cucu to Citeh? Not going unless TB holds them to ransom - £60M-£65M? £35M like some Citeh fans think should be about right (although some reckon nearer £50M would be needed)?

They seem to think they should send one of their youngsters out to Brighton to get first team experience here as part of the deal (guaranteed X amounrt of game time, of course!) - would you take McAtee on loan as part of the deal? (I wouldn't, BTW). My guess is that if they want Cucu it'll cost them around £50M - less than that I'd be disappointed; that OK with you? Not 'TB doesn't know what he's doing', just a tad disappointed. Anything over £50M, I'll be delighted. There, that's my take, just as a fan - what's your take?

FWIW, at a lower level - and bearing in mind that we'll never know the exact details, but going on what's been generally reported - no, I don't think we've massively undersold players because we don't know what we're doing - but I do think that Coventry and West Brom in particular have landed very, very good bargains from us! I'll boringly repeat my mantra - I hope weve got some bloody good sell-on clauses! Hope we insist on one of those for Ostigarde too!

I've posted my take on Cucurella several times already. £60 million before we even pick the phone up.

In fact, that's been the point of several of our back and forths. So, I'll say it one more time. Players with a year or less on their contract go for less than they would otherwise. A player like Cucurella with four years left and no obvious replacement will go for far more.

No one HAS to sell to City. Spurs didn't sell Kane.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Would anyone think that Cucu was worth less than 50-60 million if he already played for 1 of the big 6, or even a big European club?
In today’s prices he is worth every penny, and he is exactly what City need.

Don’t accept less than £60 million, please Mr Bloom.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Offering more money is usually a good starting point! I'm sure we would have been talking to his agent about a new contract last summer, but no agreement reached. Not sure that's particularly benefitted the player - he could have trousered an extra £million quid for the last season and still got his move to Spurs this summer - but maybe Brighton could then have got another £5--£10M for him.

Or Spurs just gave him more as a signing on fee

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Where has all this £35m nonsense come from? It's £25m according to every source I've read.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
A3A90C1F-A048-4A04-A17A-ACDD725F17FC.jpeg
Where has all this £35m nonsense come from? It's £25m according to every source I've read.

Most seem to agree that it’s 25 + 10 in add ons. Naylor & Cantor also said that they had been informed that the initial fee was higher than 30.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Given how notoriously right lipped Tony is about this stuff. Do we know that the club didn't try this?

We can all speculate about what we think should have been done but without the knowledge of what happened, what was said and what promises were made between club, player and manager we are just pissing in the wind.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

If I ever get to meet Mr Bloom I will shake his hand and say "Thank you Mr Bloom for nurturing and protecting our club by saying nothing about transfers, ever"

smile.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I've posted my take on Cucurella several times already. £60 million before we even pick the phone up.

In fact, that's been the point of several of our back and forths. So, I'll say it one more time. Players with a year or less on their contract go for less than they would otherwise. A player like Cucurella with four years left and no obvious replacement will go for far more.

No one HAS to sell to City. Spurs didn't sell Kane.

Yes. It is all determined by the mathematics of nominal value, age of player and contract left to run (unless a club is in need of a fire sale, or is known to have far more money than is humanly decent Newcastle, and even there the degree of need can be added to the model since it affects the nominal value and the price)*.

All this talk of players forcing moves and downing tools is the exception rather than the rule as far as I can see. And in some cases this may be linked to mental health issues. Nobody can tell me that Pogba doesn't dip in and out of a bad place, mentally.

*There is also the Russian Mafia to factor in (well, back in the peri- and immediately post-USSR era), but I'm not sure how much say it has in transfers since the retirement of Kanchelskis.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yes. It is all determined by the mathematics of nominal value, age of player and contract left to run (unless a club is in need of a fire sale, or is known to have far more money than is humanly decent Newcastle, and even there the degree of need can be added to the model since it affects the nominal value and the price)*.

All this talk of players forcing moves and downing tools is the exception rather than the rule as far as I can see. And in some cases this may be linked to mental health issues. Nobody can tell me that Pogba doesn't dip in and out of a bad place, mentally.

*There is also the Russian Mafia to factor in (well, back in the peri- and immediately post-USSR era), but I'm not sure how much say it has in transfers since the retirement of Kanchelskis.

Did the Russian Mafia block Kanchelskis coming to Brighton?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Did the Russian Mafia block Kanchelskis coming to Brighton?

The story goes that his transfers (Manure, to Everton and later Rangers) were unexpected and unexplained but if I said anymore I feel I may be putting myself in personal dan

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I do struggle with this (somewhat blue and white tinted) notion that we are a good and apparently relatively uniquely attractive proposition for players because we will ‘allow’ them to leave, and with our best wishes, should a bigger fish be circling.

I think it's more 'we will improve them, and their value - and then allow them to leave for a 'bigger' club'. With the emphasis on the first part. That is - come to Brighton, get Big 6 ready, and in the spotlight.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013

As opposed to Dan Ashworth...

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bun fight between us and Leeds allegedly
[Tweet]1537434981592551426[/Tweet]

Free Camara. Leeds through and through etc.
Leeds have just singed Roca for defensive midfield. Unless they are going defensive-tastic in midfield they are not in this.

Mind you it's not clear we are interested either :shrug:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have seen the same sauce that says City have already made a £35 million bid for Cucu, saying they have made a £50 million bid for Phillips.

Personally, I think
a. City need Cucu more,
and b. He’s better than Phillips.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I have seen the same sauce that says City have already made a £35 million bid for Cucu, saying they have made a £50 million bid for Phillips.

Personally, I think
a. City need Cucu more,
and b. He’s better than Phillips.

Different positions though. They can afford both (but won't get them both for £85M!)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolute plum (Richard) on 606 moaning about Bissouma sale without seeming to realize he had one year left. Neither Savage or Sutton seem to realize either. Oh well. Wankers.

EDit: 606 are replaying his opening statement as their taster for the next 15 minutes. He said that we are about to lose Bissouma for £25 mill. About to lose? £25 mill? Have I just entered the Twiglet zone? ???

If only some of the sensible posters on NSC could step up to the plate to put the fan view to these soppy old retired footballers, the world would be a much better place.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here