[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I've got a mate who's a Spurs season ticket holder who reckons he's shite.

.A couple of others I know are delighted.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I respect your opinion. But to me, this sale, and the reaction to it on here, really smacks of "Know your place..... The mighty Spurs came calling, so what can you do?"

Small town, small club, mentality. Lads, it's only Tottenham innit.

I suspect it may be you who has the small town mentality - our first chance to be a big boy and we have blown it (for ever) by selling Bissouma (and not forcing him to sulk out his contract like Pogba and go on a free next summer)? I can see Mr Bloom raising one eyebrow one millimetre at that latter masterplan.

Yes, I guess that we aren't like ManUre.

I prefer our model, our players and our club to that sack of money-steroid Munich-Charlton Besty Fergy legacy-shite, thank you very much. Oh, and Spuds? Good manager. Daft CEO though.

Spuds payed us £1.5 million to put one of the most clever strikers of his generation on their bench. Let's see whether they can do any better with a £30 mill panic spaff on a brittle player with a year on his contract who needs a bit of coaching and love to bring out his best. I hope he does well. Will the mad Italian be gentle, I wonder? ???

And now I shall move on.....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I respect your opinion. But to me, this sale, and the reaction to it on here, really smacks of "Know your place..... The mighty Spurs came calling, so what can you do?"

Small town, small club, mentality. Lads, it's only Tottenham innit.
thank **** we know our place, have you seen what happens to clubs that get ideas above their station?

What we also know is the club's strategy, a strategy that is working really well at the moment. Selling Bissouma fits perfectly in that strategy.

That's why people are not throwing their toys out of the pram.

It's all good relax.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Offering more money is usually a good starting point! I'm sure we would have been talking to his agent about a new contract last summer, but no agreement reached. Not sure that's particularly benefitted the player - he could have trousered an extra £million quid for the last season and still got his move to Spurs this summer - but maybe Brighton could then have got another £5--£10M for him.
Given how notoriously right lipped Tony is about this stuff. Do we know that the club didn't try this?

We can all speculate about what we think should have been done but without the knowledge of what happened, what was said and what promises were made between club, player and manager we are just pissing in the wind.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
How do you MAKE a player sign a new contract ?

Asking for a friend.

Just like the Godfather film and hold a gun to his head and assure him if doesn't sign it his brains will be splattered all over it ?

He (or his agent) or both were never going to sign another contract as he has earned a better playing deal.

Good luck and will be interesting see how he progresses in a team with far better players than us albeit we have beaten them twice now in the Premier League.

How exactly do you make a player sign a contract? I’m fairly certain the club would have tried to get Bissouma on a new deal over the last few years but if he doesn’t want to sign there is nothing the club can do about it.

Also another thing to consider is we could have sold him last summer for more than we’ve got from Spurs but we’d probably not have finished 9th. That alone has got us another £15 million in prize money from our normal 15th/16th, plus we’ve been able to bring through Mwepu in his first PL season, Mac Allister has shown real development over the last season and Cacideo had a brilliant run in the side at the end of the season. It’s unlikely we’d have given Moises that run in the side if we’d been looking over our shoulder at the relegation battle.

Sometimes the bigger picture needs looking at. Now we’ve just got to find a way to win without him (so more of the second half against West Ham please).

You cannot make a player sign a contract, but you can sell him while you have control of the contract. Selling him with two years to run rather than wait until the last twelve months must make more sense?

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
You cannot make a player sign a contract, but you can sell him while you have control of the contract. Selling him with two years to run rather than wait until the last twelve months must make more sense?

I may be an American but even I know you can't sell a player against his will! You know they have to agree to it by signing the contract with the other club. They guy ain't no damn used Cadillac you are trying to shift.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Can't be happy with this. Anybody convincing themselves that the way forward for BHAFC is to sell our best players as soon as possible to turn a profit....head, wobble.

Meanwhile we give Gross an extended contract.

No ****ing ambition.

No ambition??

I struggle with our fans who still aren't on board with the way TB operates.
To keep improving we have to find a way to financially compete with the top 10 clubs in the PL.
8 of them are going to dwarf our income potential purely on the commercial deals they can generate.

Player sales and running the club as a business is THE ONLY WAY we can compete in this division, in the long term.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

So you’ve ignored everything I’ve said about the bigger picture. You’d have rather sold him for £20 million more before last season and seen us potentially finish 16th again and not have a chance to develop and improve several possible replacements?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I just got the impression he didn't immerse himself in the 'family' like some players do. A professional without doubt and a very talented player, but
Never really showed any passion for the place, or a love of the area as many do. May just be his cultural background and/or personal character traits.

Strange comment. In what way was he not a Brighton player in the four years of quality performances he gave us? I can’t see he was in any different to any other player in his commitment to the club? Other than the fact that he was ten times better than nearly every other player who’s ever played for us.

What constitutes a Brighton player out of interest?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I just got the impression he didn't immerse himself in the 'family' like some players do. A professional without doubt and a very talented player, but
Never really showed any passion for the place, or a love of the area as many do. May just be his cultural background and/or personal character traits.

Not sure I agree with that tbh. I seem to remember him being pretty immersed in the club.
I suspect the events of last October, affected the dynamics of that relationship, quite a lot.

Regardless of what did/didn't occur, the affection between player/club/fans definitely diminished for a few months and was different after things settled down.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I can see how this plays out, in about 7 or 8 years there’ll be articles imagining just how good Brighton could have been if they hadn’t sold all of their best players, same as for Southampton with Mane, Lallana, Lovren, Van Dijk, Tadic, Ings, Bale, Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I can see how this plays out, in about 7 or 8 years there’ll be articles imagining just how good Brighton could have been if they hadn’t sold all of their best players, same as for Southampton with Mane, Lallana, Lovren, Van Dijk, Tadic, Ings, Bale, Shaw, Oxlade-Chamberlain.

....and let's avoid that and live/thrive in the now!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well, goodbye Biss and thanks for the memories. It was only to be expected when we saw that his contract had not been extended. Better now with a fee than later without.
At least we have a new midfield performer in Caicedo [sp?] and I believe we will do alright.
After seeing White to Arsenal and now this, it shows other players that we are a club worth joining.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Well, goodbye Biss and thanks for the memories. It was only to be expected when we saw that his contract had not been extended. Better now with a fee than later without.
At least we have a new midfield performer in Caicedo [sp?] and I believe we will do alright.
After seeing White to Arsenal and now this, it shows other players that we are a club worth joining.

I think that is the most important point. Potter was typically graceful in his comments about Bissouma, recognising the player deserves an opportunity to play in European competitions....and if we carry on in our current trajectory, that could be us within the space of a few years!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Just watched his “welcome to spurs interview” it struck me clearly that spurs themselves are actually a stepping stone for him and with his sole objective being champions league football. I suspect it would have been Arsenal if they had finished about them.

Initially surprised there wasn’t a public bidding war though as he would strengthen Liverpool and Chelsea but not sure he would get the game time he wanted at city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We could've sold him last summer for more but then may not have broken into the top 10 and gained the financial package that brought. At £30m we make a profit on him at a time when we are well placed to manage his departure with alternatives having already gained some valuable experience.

Arguably we could allow the same to happen with a GK, CB or ST but ultimately having many talented players developing into their prime years we could have a whole team of players that are potential targets for Champions League sides

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

I do struggle with this (somewhat blue and white tinted) notion that we are a good and apparently relatively uniquely attractive proposition for players because we will ‘allow’ them to leave, and with our best wishes, should a bigger fish be circling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports