Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
I can see him running down his contract

In 12 months time he gets to sign for whichever Club he desires, massive signing on fee and wages to match, without worrying whether they can match our asking price.

The world is his oyster

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If Bloom can’t get what he wants for him, he could be “railroaded” into signing a contract extension with a fixed release cause in January or even this summer after he’s signed the extension. Otherwise he’ll have to potentially wait another year.

Can’t see Bloom being bent over a barrel on this by clubs taking the piss with their offers. He’s a 50 million plus player

That only works if we’ve got a years option on his current contract, which there has been no noise to suggest we have. If we don’t then Biss is out of contract next summer and free to negotiate with clubs outside of England from January. He won’t be railroaded into signing anything. He holds a lot of the cards now regarding his future and our positioning is weakening.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And how / why is Bissouma going to sign that deal ?

If Bloom plays hard ball on bids Biss will be here for another year? With a new contract teams will have to pay the going rate and he could quite easily be sold this summer or in January.

Let’s see who blinks first because I can see Bloom turning down high teens low twenties bids as clubs look to get him on the cheap because his contract runs out next summer.

If he’s willing to stay for another year then fine, I get the impression he may want out asap to a big CL club, he may have to sign a new deal to do it, if Bloom won’t accept low bids.

Last edited:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
That only works if we’ve got a years option on his current contract, which there has been no noise to suggest we have. If we don’t then Biss is out of contract next summer and free to negotiate with clubs outside of England from January. He won’t be railroaded into signing anything. He holds a lot of the cards now regarding his future and our positioning is weakening.

And he might even stay with the Albion as we crash the Champions League party!

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
There is never any noise about whether we have an option to extend contracts.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
If Bloom plays hard ball on bids Biss will be here for another year? With a new contract teams will have to pay the going rate and he could quite easily be sold this summer or in January.

Let’s see who blinks first because I can see Bloom turning down high teens low twenties bids as clubs look to get him on the cheap because his contract runs out next summer.

If he’s willing to stay for another year then fine, I get the impression he may want out asap to a big CL club, he may have to sign a new deal to do it, if Bloom won’t accept low bids.

Likewise, I’m pretty sure he wants out ASAP. He’s already almost left once, and he very obviously waved goodbye to us at the end of the West Ham game. He thinks he’s one of the best midfielders in the country (ie, he thinks he’s too good for us). Plus, at the end of next season he’ll be nearly 27. For someone with his ambition he needs to move pronto!

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

In 12 months time he gets to sign for whichever Club he desires, massive signing on fee and wages to match, without worrying whether they can match our asking price.

The world is his oyster

If relations turn sour, the club won’t play him and he will be told to train with the u23s. Not great for Biss at the age of 25 to not be playing football for a year.
Anyway, that won’t happen, all the media reports suggest a bidding war for his signature, which is good news for us.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Likewise, I’m pretty sure he wants out ASAP. He’s already almost left once, and he very obviously waved goodbye to us at the end of the West Ham game. He thinks he’s one of the best midfielders in the country (ie, he thinks he’s too good for us). Plus, at the end of next season he’ll be nearly 27. For someone with his ambition he needs to move pronto!

Glass half full, Jim?
I can’t say I noticed any glaringly obvious farewell waves from Biss after the West Ham game. Regarding his age, he’ll be 26 when the 2023/24 season starts, it’s not like the sand is rapidly pouring through the egg timer, he’s got plenty of time on his side.
He’s a super talented player, he knows this and the whole watching football world knows too, it may well be in his interest to run out his contract, it might also be worth him signing a new contract with a release clause.
He’s not a player I want to lose but it’s going to happen, I trust Bloom will get what he wants.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Glass half full, Jim?
I can’t say I noticed any glaringly obvious farewell waves from Biss after the West Ham game. Regarding his age, he’ll be 26 when the 2023/24 season starts, it’s not like the sand is rapidly pouring through the egg timer, he’s got plenty of time on his side.
He’s a super talented player, he knows this and the whole watching football world knows too, it may well be in his interest to run out his contract, it might also be worth him signing a new contract with a release clause.
He’s not a player I want to lose but it’s going to happen, I trust Bloom will get what he wants.

And on top of that, Biss has given his service during his time here, obviously been well rewarded but he’s more than kept up his side of the bargain. He should be going with our best wishes, as I’m sure he will. This phase is simply about whether there is an offer that exceeds his one-season value to us. Biss can’t really lose here, unless he becomes really difficult in trying to force a move this summer, which seems unlikely. Even if Biss is that way inclined, you’d hope his agent will know you might be ok to annoy managers, but you certainly shouldn’t wind up billionaire owners. They’re just as likely to make an example of you than not.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
And on top of that, Biss has given his service during his time here, obviously been well rewarded but he’s more than kept up his side of the bargain. He should be going with our best wishes, as I’m sure he will. This phase is simply about whether there is an offer that exceeds his one-season value to us. Biss can’t really lose here, unless he becomes really difficult in trying to force a move this summer, which seems unlikely. Even if Biss is that way inclined, you’d hope his agent will know you might be ok to annoy managers, but you certainly shouldn’t wind up billionaire owners. They’re just as likely to make an example of you than not.

Biss will become an extremely wealthy person.

But for his sake he needs to pick the right club if he wants to win things. Villa for example might triple his wages, but I really can’t see them competing with the mega spenders or incredible managers for silverware.

This is the career move he has to get right.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

The world is his oyster

That’s a very dangerous game to play.

There will be clubs in this window who have a ‘Bissouma’ shaped gap in their squad. Fernandinho leaving Man City springs to mind. If he waits it out, he may find that squad places at the top clubs simply aren’t there.

For example, whilst over-spending Villa could hardly be framed as a top club, it seems they have got the defensive midfielder they wanted this window and clearly won’t be pursing Biss anymore.

It’s possible that both Manchester clubs along with two from Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal will be after him plus Newcastle and half a dozen foreign teams. He’ll be on £100k+ pw by September wherever he goes, I think he’ll be concentrating more on his career rather than waiting to get super rich by running down his contract for another 12 months. If the right team comes along this window (not ****ing Villa!) this is surely Biss’ philosophy:

carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
That’s a very dangerous game to play.

There will be clubs in this window who have a ‘Bissouma’ shaped gap in their squad. Fernandinho leaving Man City springs to mind. If he waits it out, he may find that squad places at the top clubs simply aren’t there.

For example, whilst over-spending Villa could hardly be framed as a top club, it seems they have got the defensive midfielder they wanted this window and clearly won’t be pursing Biss anymore.

It’s possible that both Manchester clubs along with two from Chelsea, Spurs & Arsenal will be after him plus Newcastle and half a dozen foreign teams. He’ll be on £100k+ pw by September wherever he goes, I think he’ll be concentrating more on his career rather than waiting to get super rich by running down his contract for another 12 months. If the right team comes along this window (not ****ing Villa!) this is surely Biss’ philosophy:

carpe diem quam minimum credula postero

I totally get what you are saying and I would rather we got a fee. Either way we will have got our moneys worth.

If the only acceptable offers are from clubs he does not fancy, why go when he can wait until January and sign a pre-contract with who he likes.

Would you want to live in Birmingham?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I totally get what you are saying and I would rather we got a fee. Either way we will have got our moneys worth.

If the only acceptable offers are from clubs he does not fancy, why go when he can wait until January and sign a pre-contract with who he likes.

Agreed. Bissouma's transfer fee and wages have already returned far better value than certain other signings we can all remember only too well, and even if he just winds down his contract, we still get one more year of an excellent player - who will be playing to impress potential new employers.

To put it another way, imagine we wanted to take a player of equal ability on loan - that would also cost us big money, with no certainty that the move would be a success. But if he sees out his final year, we keep a known quantity, with no doubts about whether he will fit in. And we have a better chance of a decent league finish, with the increased revenues that will bring.

Yes, I expect him to go, and I expect TB to get us a good deal. But there are positives if he doesn't.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Bissouma's transfer fee and wages have already returned far better value than certain other signings we can all remember only too well, and even if he just winds down his contract, we still get one more year of an excellent player - who will be playing to impress potential new employers.

To put it another way, imagine we wanted to take a player of equal ability on loan - that would also cost us big money, with no certainty that the move would be a success. But if he sees out his final year, we keep a known quantity, with no doubts about whether he will fit in. And we have a better chance of a decent league finish, with the increased revenues that will bring.

Yes, I expect him to go, and I expect TB to get us a good deal. But there are positives if he doesn't.

Agree totally. With one proviso, that he doesn’t sulk / fail to give 100% for us next season. That does happen.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Pretty sure there are some decent places to live within an easy drive of Villa’s training ground (which is miles out of Birmingham anyway)……

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Monaco rumours . . . . Bbc/talkshyte

That would be a bit surprising to me, but I suppose they have Russian oligarch money, so perhaps he’s going for the money and lifestyle / climate / Monaco culture. And obviously the historic success of the club, bit of European football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here