Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We do of course have the option of keeping him for another season and letting him go on a free - but whether it's worth the £30M or so that we'd lose out on transfer fees to keep him in the side for one season is doubtful, to say the least.
As to where he goes, it will surely be to the highest bidder, whether we like them or not.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
We do of course have the option of keeping him for another season and letting him go on a free - but whether it's worth the £30M or so that we'd lose out on transfer fees to keep him in the side for one season is doubtful, to say the least.
As to where he goes, it will surely be to the highest bidder, whether we like them or not.

Tony if offered £30m now or free next summer would be mad not to take the £30m imo.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Simple solution, give him a contract with a buy-out clause, say £35m, plus a condition that if a team in European competition makes an approach he is allowed to talk to them.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
As sad as it will be to see Biss go, this is our model and we need to get the greatest value from him. If we get ‘only’ £30m we’ll have made a £15m profit on a player who has given us great service. However, the most valuable outcome will be another example of a player that’s come to us who has then developed into a top class player and who we haven’t stood in the way of in terms of going up the next step. Ben White being the other great example.
This model helps us attract talented younger players through the World who want to break into an EPL team and cement their place as a first team regular and potentially get a move to a top 6 team.
The challenge for us is to identify the right targets and conclude the deals. £4.5m for Caicedo is looking an absolute steal, and done right under the noses of our next opponents.
So, yes, it will be a loss when Biss goes but frankly we need to just accept that this is part of our progress as a brilliantly run club.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As sad as it will be to see Biss go, this is our model and we need to get the greatest value from him. If we get ‘only’ £30m we’ll have made a £15m profit on a player who has given us great service. However, the most valuable outcome will be another example of a player that’s come to us who has then developed into a top class player and who we haven’t stood in the way of in terms of going up the next step. Ben White being the other great example.
This model helps us attract talented younger players through the World who want to break into an EPL team and cement their place as a first team regular and potentially get a move to a top 6 team.
The challenge for us is to identify the right targets and conclude the deals. £4.5m for Caicedo is looking an absolute steal, and done right under the noses of our next opponents.
So, yes, it will be a loss when Biss goes but frankly we need to just accept that this is part of our progress as a brilliantly run club.

If the past number of years are taken into account the club doesn't discuss contracts until the end of the season. Now I'm sure certain cogs have been turning but Biss isn't the only one going into the last year of their contract.

The rumour of a rejected 35m bid from AV is the only one recently.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
He’d be a fool to opt for Villa or even Newcastle with most of the big 6 sniffing. His agent will know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Simple solution, give him a contract with a buy-out clause, say £35m, plus a condition that if a team in European competition makes an approach he is allowed to talk to them.

I hope and assume we will have done something like this to protect our position. If a top club comes in for him then he can go with my blessing, but if its Aston Villa for less than £30m then he may as well stay here.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope and assume we will have done something like this to protect our position. If a top club comes in for him then he can go with my blessing, but if its Aston Villa for less than £30m then he may as well stay here.
If Villa (or for that matter Newcastle, or even Everton if they stay up) offer us a fee that is acceptable, and double or treble his wages, he'll go, with or without your blessing!
And whether we like it or not, all three of those clubs have a much higher profile than us; a seson or two with them would enhance his reputation, and increase his value - for him just a stepping stone to an even bigger club (if that move doesn't happen straightaway).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If Villa (or for that matter Newcastle, or even Everton if they stay up) offer us a fee that is acceptable, and double or treble his wages, he'll go, with or without your blessing!
And whether we like it or not, all three of those clubs have a much higher profile than us; a seson or two with them would enhance his reputation, and increase his value - for him just a stepping stone to an even bigger club (if that move doesn't happen straightaway).

At age 25 I think Biss will want CL football straight away, if he does leave, I hope so.

Everton are light years away from CL football, Newcastle a year or two away assuming they spend countless £100m’s.

Other than a huge bank balance and house, I can’t see a footballing reason to choose them over clubs performing at the highest level.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
At age 25 I think Biss will want CL football straight away, if he does leave, I hope so.

Everton are light years away from CL football, Newcastle a year or two away assuming they spend countless £100m’s.

Other than a huge bank balance and house, I can’t see a footballing reason to choose them over clubs performing at the highest level.

"Other than a huge bank balance and house" - end of argument!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

Why would Bissouma sign a contract like this? Holds pretty much all the cards at the moment. If Vills want to pay him silly money a week and it’s the best he can get why would he want to stay here? We won’t compete with wages

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
He will go this summer it’s just whether it is

Huge salary or huge salary + CL football

The latter will depend who comes in for him but there is more competition for that option this summer as Rice, Philips and Pogna will also be in the market for that position

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Why would Bissouma sign a contract like this? Holds pretty much all the cards at the moment. If Vills want to pay him silly money a week and it’s the best he can get why would he want to stay here? We won’t compete with wages

You're right in principle, but he does have one more year on his contract to go. Most likely option is that someone comes in for him with an offer we can't refuse. But that's the only reason he would leave. He'd then walk on a free at the end of next season.

Someone paying "silly money a week" isn't going to affect our position. We can choose to retain the player and insist that he sees out his contract. The danger is that we have a player who is disaffected and potentially disruptive. So how do you keep Biss happy in that scenario, keep him motivated for his last season, and accept that he'll go on a free?

Maybe you offer him a new deal so that he gets paid more in his last season and agree to be very flexible about letting him speak to other clubs. But as you say, there is no reason why he would sign a new deal to give us an assured buy-out clause. He'll take all of that premium as a signing on bonus when he moves on a free.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
You're right in principle, but he does have one more year on his contract to go. Most likely option is that someone comes in for him with an offer we can't refuse. But that's the only reason he would leave. He'd then walk on a free at the end of next season.

Someone paying "silly money a week" isn't going to affect our position. We can choose to retain the player and insist that he sees out his contract. The danger is that we have a player who is disaffected and potentially disruptive. So how do you keep Biss happy in that scenario, keep him motivated for his last season, and accept that he'll go on a free?

Maybe you offer him a new deal so that he gets paid more in his last season and agree to be very flexible about letting him speak to other clubs. But as you say, there is no reason why he would sign a new deal to give us an assured buy-out clause. He'll take all of that premium as a signing on bonus when he moves on a free.

Players have all the power now - certainly with only a year left. I like Biss but he very much seems the sort who might do a Ryan Fraser and go on strike which very much forces our hand around an offer we may or may not have wanted to accept. There is no way he signs a new contract as described.

The great thing is this isn’t as big an issue as I thought it might be prior to the emergence of Caicedo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Caicedo is twice the player Biss was when he arrived here imo. We are in good hands, if Biss goes so be it, TB deserves a return on his outlay

I would love him to stay though

Most importantly can we extend GP’s contract please

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
He needs the dosh,perhaps when he signs for a big club like Everton he will be able to afford a decent pair of trousers without holes in them,we must be paying him in food stamps

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I do struggle a bit with transfer fees and wage structure. You could pay (and keep possibly) a current player an extra 100k a week for 3 years which would be equivalent of buying some one in on a £15m signing (possibly of lesser quality and you’d need to pay their wages on top). The player may want to move on, of course, and wage contracts may catapult up other wages due to how structured (but surely that’s the fault of how wages are structured)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He’d be a fool to opt for Villa or even Newcastle with most of the big 6 sniffing. His agent will know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Newcastle will have ambitions of breaking into the big 6 and the only way to do that is to compete with those clubs for marquee signings but offering them even more money than the big are prepared to offer - as compensation for not being at that level already. I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to Newcastle for this reason, but he'd end up being one of their top earners, perhaps even the very top earner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here