Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Birmingham Odeon, 1980 - who are you going to see play live?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Brighton Centre was Numan Sept’80, the others were at the brilliant Suite I think (2,000 punters going berserk every time, great acoustics). As Ultravox grew on popularity, they then did the Brighton Centre lots.

I definitely remember seeing Gary Numan at the Centre, double decker stage and he came out on a small car for Cars :)
Did he also play The Dome or the Centre the previous year? I’m sure I’ve seen him twice.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Also going for 3 I didn't see back then.

Blondie
Ramones
Iggy Pop

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I definitely remember seeing Gary Numan at the Centre, double decker stage and he came out on a small car for Cars :)
Did he also play The Dome or the Centre the previous year? I’m sure I’ve seen him twice.

I missed Tubeway Army, I was too young. You’re right, according to the net, Oct’79 The Dome.

Numan 1980 was my first gig with mates.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Weather Report
Tangerine Dream
Peter Gabriel.

Maybe 10cc in place of Tangerine Dream

I saw Santana there in 1973. That was possibly the best gig I’ve ever been to - soon after Caravanserai was released.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
blondie, Ultravox. and Duran Duran.
what a fantastic line up for the year ,. Would love to see what was on in Brighton that year .

Fozzyboy

Jul 5, 2011
Worthing
What a great post. Slightly out of my date range as I was 3 but if someone could do one for the Brighton Centre in the 90's, that would be fun

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Great thread.

If I was to stay the age I am now then The Specials and The Stranglers.

If I was to go back to the age I was then I will add Adam and the Ants, just to be ahead of almost everyone at my school who saw them later at the Brighton Centre (plus the current age me would find it interesting to see if they were doing any Dirk Wears White Sox stuff as well or if this was, as I suspect, a Kings of the Wild Frontier preview show with those songs possibly a bit rawer)

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Ramones, Undertones and Stranglers. If 7 years earlier would have substituted Hawkwind (Lemmy) and Sabbath (Ozzie) for first two. Hard to leave out Madness.
Just re-read line up and Undertones and Ramones would have to move over for Rory Gallagher and AC/DC.

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Ghost Town was released in 81 so you didn't get to see it

Oh, bugger.
Well let's stick with the Specials anyway. Ska is about as close to drum n bass and I can get in the 80's so I'd bounce around to that for a while.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Great thread.

If I was to stay the age I am now then The Specials and The Stranglers.

If I was to go back to the age I was then I will add Adam and the Ants, just to be ahead of almost everyone at my school who saw them later at the Brighton Centre (plus the current age me would find it interesting to see if they were doing any Dirk Wears White Sox stuff as well or if this was, as I suspect, a Kings of the Wild Frontier preview show with those songs possibly a bit rawer)

Yes Adam & the Ants were very cool in 1980

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Captain Beefheart for sure - never saw him
Iggy Pop/Psychedelic Furs (I saw the Pop but never PF)

As for the others, it's a toss-up between The Specials, Buzzcocks and The Ramones. I'd seen all three before but I think I'd plump for The Ramones

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Alex Harvey band
Gabriel
Genesis

The best thing about that list is that I saw many of them in the 70’s80’s in Brighton

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here