[Music] Birmingham Odeon, 1980 - who are you going to see play live?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
Great line up and lovely thread.

Excluding the ones I saw anyway (Undertones, OMD, Dire Straits, The Stranglers) I think I'll have to go with

Blondie (Let's just pause and think about Debbie Harry c. 1980 for a few minutes!)
The Ramones
Adam and the Ants

with an honourable mention for Gary Numan but my big regret was missing him a couple of years ago because his more recent live band sounds epic - the Savage Tour Brixton Academy live album available on Spotify refers.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Great line up and lovely thread.

Excluding the ones I saw anyway (Undertones, OMD, Dire Straits, The Stranglers) I think I'll have to go with

Blondie (Let's just pause and think about Debbie Harry c. 1980 for a few minutes!)
The Ramones
Adam and the Ants

with an honourable mention for Gary Numan but my big regret was missing him a couple of years ago because his more recent live band sounds epic - the Savage Tour Brixton Academy live album available on Spotify refers.

I was born in 1980 but i LOVE loads on that list.
I don't really like Blondie. But if I was 18 in 1980 that would be first on the list, no question.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Bloody hell. Those Brummies were spoilt.

Genesis
Peter Gabriel
Tom Petty

And if any of those are sold out, Dire Straits

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I've seen one thing in the Birmingham Odeon - the movie Salt with Angelina Jolie, cause its been turned in to a multiplex cinema now. I had eight hours before a flight to kill, that's my excuse.

Thin Lizzy / Stranglers / Duran Duran I think for me. I've at least seen a recent incarnation Stranglers, minus Hugh Cornwell and Jet Black; but with Dave Greenfield still playing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The Skids are on that list. I had a ticket to go see them in Glasgow. My mum washed my trousers which had my ticket in the pocket. I didn't talk to her for a week because of it .

The women in my family were terrible for stuff like that.

Walk past my mother and she would throw you in the old twin tub washing machine. And walk past my sister and she would iron you. ��

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Blondie, Roxy Music and Tom Petty as never saw. Did see Joe Jackson (great), Genesis (OK) and Dire Straits (OK) so didn't include them.

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Great thread. Tough to select 3, but I'm going for:

Roxy Music
Rush
Captain Beefheart

My 13/14 year old self would definitely have veered toward the metal/hard rock. My first concert was the Ozzy with Budgie at the Dome in 1980, but Budgie cancelled and there was almost a riot.

Black Sabbath would have had Dio singing, and so many soon to depart legends were on the list: Weather Report would have had Jaco Pastorius I think.
Rory Gallagher!
Peter Gabriel would be bubbling under for me too, as this was probably the tour for his 3rd album which is a cracker.

God, I miss live music.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Disappointed The Cure and Joy Divison are not on the bill.

Blondie
The Specials
Roxy Music

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports