Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Big Name Film Stars You Dislike...

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Michael Caine, Bruce Willis - I've always found them wooden and one-dimensional.

Jim Carrey, Steve Martin - American comedy actors who I find as puerile, childish and pathetic as Mrs Brown's Boys.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Burt Lancaster was an absolute top man. Look him up!

I am a bit older than you I suspect, but I have a feeling he was sneered at by commentators during the 60s and 70s because commentators were appealing to a gallery who would have regarded a white man supporting Civil Rights in much the same way that NSC's Droopy would regard anything mildly pink, red or brown. Being an impressionable nipper, I would have been influenced by the sneering. Later I saw the error of my ways. And Local Hero was pure class.

By contrast, the right wing hypocrite cat among the pidgeons was John Wayne.
Yes, Lancaster was a fine man, unafraid to stand up against prejudice of any stamp.

Also made some damned good films. The Swimmer is a particular favourite.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
true, but it's been such a long time since he did anything of worth that i would prefer to think of him as 2 actors, letting the excellent one remaining buried.
Watched Cape Fear a few nights ago (still BRILLIANT) and then The Irishman a night or two later (struggling to recall what day it is at present).

It's difficult to argue with your assessment. And I do love Bobby.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Burt Lancaster was an absolute top man. Look him up!

I am a bit older than you I suspect, but I have a feeling he was sneered at by commentators during the 60s and 70s because commentators were appealing to a gallery who would have regarded a white man supporting Civil Rights in much the same way that NSC's Droopy would regard anything mildly pink, red or brown. Being an impressionable nipper, I would have been influenced by the sneering. Later I saw the error of my ways. And Local Hero was pure class.

By contrast, the right wing hypocrite cat among the pidgeons was John Wayne.

I took your advice and looked him up. He was a fine man, of that there is no doubt. My mild 'dislike' was not with respect to him as a person but I always felt he was simply too intense as an actor. There was just a bit too much of Burt in the roles he played. And this is one of those gloriously subjective threads where it really is a matter of opinion - by all 'objective' measures someone can be a great actor but they just don't ring any bells for everyone. Next time I see a Burt movie, I'll view him through a more sympathetic lens.

So as a token of my esteem, I'll throw in Oliver Reed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I took your advice and looked him up. He was a fine man, of that there is no doubt. My mild 'dislike' was not with respect to him as a person but I always felt he was simply too intense as an actor. There was just a bit too much of Burt in the roles he played. And this is one of those gloriously subjective threads where it really is a matter of opinion - by all 'objective' measures someone can be a great actor but they just don't ring any bells for everyone. Next time I see a Burt movie, I'll view him through a more sympathetic lens.

Interesting suggestion. I'd be interested to read your reasons.

To me he's not really an A-lister (other than in the minds of News of the World and Daily Mail readers, for different reasons). More famous for his toe-curing appearance on The Word, and how sorry we all felt for his 16 year old bride when he lowered his corpulant middle aged booze-soaked misogenystic presence into her naive universe. I can barely recall any of his actual films. That one where he wrestled naked with a bloke? The muscateers one? So I don't disagree that he's not any good, but I wonder whether his oevre has sufficient substance for him to qualify for consideration. I shall now do my homework....

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Daniel Craig is another one I really don't like. Pouty McPoutface who isn't very good at something he gets paid bucketloads for.

You’re not allowed to say it on here, but DC really isn’t a great actor imho. Layer Cake was okay, but beyond that.

May as well throw out Emily Blunt. I get the impression that behind the smiley interview facade she might be difficult to work with.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Michael Caine, Bruce Willis - I've always found them wooden and one-dimensional.

Jim Carrey, Steve Martin - American comedy actors who I find as puerile, childish and pathetic as Mrs Brown's Boys.

I like Steve Martin, at the same time adoring cleverly written, silly; irony, satire and parodies. He’s starred in some of my favourite movies.

But I can’t stand Miranda or Mrs Brown’s Boys .... naff, lowest common denominator TV.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Bruce Willis.

Mrs. LK burns the TV guide if there are any Sandra Bullock movies in it. Sadly it’s a regular event, but the positive is that the garden benefits from a little extra ash.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You’re not allowed to say it on here, but DC really isn’t a great actor imho. Layer Cake was okay, but beyond that.

May as well throw out Emily Blunt. I get the impression that behind the smiley interview facade she might be difficult to work with.

DC - I can see where your coming from, you won’t be alone, but have you seen Flashbacks of a Fool, Defiance, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo and Munich? Quality performances by DC in very good movies, imho.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

OK, done my research. Yes he made a lot of films, notably for Ken Russell and Michael Winner :facepalm: His wiki entry says that after that, in the 80s, his career went down hill :mad: I guess he has enough on his CV to qualify as a big star, at least in the UK. As an aside I have always regarded Russell and Winner as terrible directors (Russells 'Lair of the White Worm is great, but only for Amanda Donohoe :love:). I am old enough to have seen Reed's performance in Oliver at the cinema, and he was frightening as a wife beating bully, but at the time I assumed he was acting. Outside the cinema, his main saving grace is that his young bride stuck with him and seemed to adore him, so perhaps he was acting in Oliver after all. Verdict? Seemes like a modest talent, like so many in the arts the beneficiary of a fairly traumatic childhood, who, according to Christopher Lee was a shy and gentle soul who turned into a monster when drinking. Yes, I suppose he fits the bill wrt this thread; although I find I can't dislike him sufficiently for his acting, there is no excuse for going on the telly, pissed, in your 50s, and abusing women, and then doing the same thing again, and again, is there? . :wave:

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Tom Hanks springs to mind.

And Doris Day.

And Jerry Lewis :facepalm::wrong:

Tom Hanks all day long. Every film has a sickeningly painful scene where he gets whimsical and meaningful with his screwed up pug face. Such a punchable face. The Germans have a word for faces like his, 'backpfeiffengesicht'. Translates literally as 'a face that needs a fist in it'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here