Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Big Name Film Stars You Dislike...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Now, I assumed that you had gone off de Niro precisely because of the comedies. Every time he takes on these roles, his legacy is further tarnished.

true, but it's been such a long time since he did anything of worth that i would prefer to think of him as 2 actors, letting the excellent one remaining buried.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bad actors can be in decent films and still not be good.
Of course, just as great actors can be in bad films, which is probably a more frequent occurrence.

But enjoying films and disliking Hanks/Cruise/Pacino et al is just plain wrong.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
This.

As with the entire Eastenders cast, in essence Grant’s playing himself.

Smug, entitled, sanctimonious.

Not a film but he was excellent in the Jeremy Thorpe TV thing, and although I haven't seen it, apparently he is also very good in his latest film.
But I do agree he is very typecast, but to be honest I liked Notting Hill.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I.could never work out how Kevin Costner became so successful. The star of some good films whilst being utterly devoid of charisma, gravitas, screen presence. I

Dull, dull, dull.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not a film but he was excellent in the Jeremy Thorpe TV thing, and although I haven't seen it, apparently he is also very good in his latest film.
But I do agree he is very typecast, but to be honest I liked Notting Hill.

I liked the gentle feel of Notting Hill and the cast. Better imho than Four Weddings ... over hyped too and upper middle class navel gazing.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Bad actors can be in decent films and still not be good.

Although this thread isn't actually about bad actors but rather actors who we have a dislike for but not necessarily for their acting ability. A football analogy would be Ronaldo who we can all agree is an excellent footballer but he is also almost universally disliked

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Steven Seagal.. I dare you...

'Big name'.

Although there is one name so far mentioned I might struggle with and will have to play the 'hardly a big name' card Steve certainly it's him.

The script writer for 'get out of jail free' cards, must also have written, Under Siege

Now I appreciate there's a couple of other good reasons to watch, Big Steve is still considerably better than dislike-able.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Although this thread isn't actually about bad actors but rather actors who we have a dislike for but not necessarily for their acting ability. A football analogy would be Ronaldo who we can all agree is an excellent footballer but he is also almost universally disliked

Ok I'm slightly more on board with that analogy.

Although, as the question was 'big name actor', a big name will by definition be leading the film, requiring some investment from the audience.

Anyone disliking Hanks/Cruise et al have either 'suffered' through or missed an awful lot of stone cold classics.

Dislike Ronaldo and you're still in with a chance of watching him fail and cry validating your (our) dislike.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Why am I reading this entire thread in the voice of Angry Frank from the Harry Enfield Show?

“ Oh yes, Streep is a competent actress, but, but if she came round here, with her steel magnolias, etc, etc”

Having said that, Michael Caine. Just can’t bear him, good actor, but, a tw@ of the highest order.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Fair enough. Although i would mostly argue that if you are a big name star you are probably not a very good actor. Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, etc.
Although, that doesn't counter anything that you said.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Going back a few years, I developed a bit of a dislike for Burt Lancaster. Not a big fan of Charlton 'Chuck' Heston either but that's mostly because of his support of the NRA.

Burt Lancaster was an absolute top man. Look him up!

I am a bit older than you I suspect, but I have a feeling he was sneered at by commentators during the 60s and 70s because commentators were appealing to a gallery who would have regarded a white man supporting Civil Rights in much the same way that NSC's Droopy would regard anything mildly pink, red or brown. Being an impressionable nipper, I would have been influenced by the sneering. Later I saw the error of my ways. And Local Hero was pure class.

By contrast, the right wing hypocrite cat among the pidgeons was John Wayne.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Why am I reading this entire thread in the voice of Angry Frank from the Harry Enfield Show?

“ Oh yes, Streep is a competent actress, but, but if she came round here, with her steel magnolias, etc, etc”

Having said that, Michael Caine. Just can’t bear him, good actor, but, a tw@ of the highest order.

D'you know? You're right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here